Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 outback 2.5 auto. It kicks butt in AWD, but in FWD, it smokes the sht out of the tires. I started at the bottom of burnout hill, little patch of sand. punched the gas, let off as it snapped to 6k rpm in first, then modulated the gas to keep it round 5.5k. No brakes, not even the handbrake, at least 60 feet of nice black stripe before it hooked up.

Imagine what it could do with the handbrake!

I'm keeping it to just that, what with me not wanting to buy tires. But if you ever want to show up the local honda kids, throw in the FWD fuse and let 'em rip.

I've never seen an automatic 2.5L outback kick butt. Even the 2007 is as slow as a pregnant sloth.

Interesting article in the Consumer Reports "new car" edition. The 5 slowest cars we've ever tested.......that's right..the 2.5L O/B is on the list.

I'm reminded of it every time I mash the gas on my 98 O/B. My Impreza 5 spd is a bit better but I still wouldn't risk getting embarassed by a Honda.

I love my Subies...when I'm not in a hurry.

I guess it depends on your perspective. My '99 Outback is the fastest, most powerful car I've ever owned (not counting the wife's minivan, which has more HP but no traction and weighs 4000 lbs). My first car was a '78 VW Diesel Rabbit (Golf Mk I outside the USA), it went from 0 to 60 in about a week.

One day, I wondered how well my AWD was working. I did some quick take offs in a gravel parking lot, then put the FWD fuse in and tried again. HOLY $%^&, what a difference! Massive wheelspin! AWD rules! :headbang::burnout:

I've never seen an automatic 2.5L outback kick butt. Even the 2007 is as slow as a pregnant sloth.

Interesting article in the Consumer Reports "new car" edition. The 5 slowest cars we've ever tested.......that's right..the 2.5L O/B is on the list.

I'm reminded of it every time I mash the gas on my 98 O/B. My Impreza 5 spd is a bit better but I still wouldn't risk getting embarassed by a Honda.

I love my Subies...when I'm not in a hurry.

I beat up on hondas up to 40-50 mph all the time in my 93 legacy AWD auto. And that's a 2.2 Beyond that speed they overtake me. I think the torquey boxer engine with AWD makes for lightning fast start offs, but once you get going the lack of total HP starts to show.

Yeah, rolling above 30, most subies suck. However, I can holeshot any car at a light with the outback. If I'm taking a left hand turn at a light, I can be doing 30 by the time I straighten out in the lane heading left. One foot on the brake, one eye on the opposite directions lights, when it turns red, I powerbrake the tranny, then snap off and hold if floored when my light turns green. No wheelspin, just acceleration.

I beat my friends 92 honda accord(about 92,not sure)on a very long straightaway. She wouldn't let me pass, kept swerving all over the road so I couldn't pass, the finally she let me and I barely passed her lol.

That's with a 90 2.2 Legacy wagon my friends. Automatic AWD. It wasn't from a dead stop though, it was from about 50 mph up to almost 100.

I beat my friends 92 honda accord(about 92,not sure)on a very long straightaway. She wouldn't let me pass, kept swerving all over the road so I couldn't pass, the finally she let me and I barely passed her lol.

That's with a 90 2.2 Legacy wagon my friends. Automatic AWD. It wasn't from a dead stop though, it was from about 50 mph up to almost 100.

ya the 2.2 non turbo isn't great on the highway, but in the city anywhere from 0-80kph its a great car those speeds are pretty much instant, if ur on the highway trying to change lanes even if u floor it, just doesn't have alot of go, i mean it GOES but still seems very sluggish, even when it downshifts, ill bet the 5mt is much better.

My 96 OBW 2.2 5mt doesn't do too bad. One thing Subaru's have that a lot of other 4 cylinder cars don't is torque...and it's great in a hilly area like where I live.. Oh,lots of dirt roads too,or really rough roads,I can blast down those at barely reduced,or even normal speeds. Let's see a Honda do that.

I've got one of those 1/4 mile programs on my laptop, based off of vehicle speed sensor. Not the most accurate, but gives an idea. The outback turns out this:

Outback

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

9:01:22 PM

60' Time ........................ 002.593 sec

0 to 60 MPH ..................... 000.000 sec

1/8 Mile ET ..................... 011.385 sec

1/8 Mile Speed .................. 053.241 mph

1000' Time ...................... 016.129 sec

1/4 Mile ET ..................... 021.050 sec

1/4 Mile Speed .................. 044.739 mph

It's not street racing if no one else is there and you're staying close to the speed limit, which was 50. I let off when I got up to 50. So that explains the 44mph trap speed.

damn dude, your 0-60 time is like, better than "super-car" territory

It really should have an infinity reading for when you never hit 60. I was going more for the 60' time and the 1/8 mile.

i wish my legacy did 0-60 in "impossible"

...maybe that's what that "Teleport" button does on the side of my shift knob. I never thought to actually push it to see what it does.

I've got one of those 1/4 mile programs on my laptop, based off of vehicle speed sensor. Not the most accurate, but gives an idea. The outback turns out this:

Outback

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

9:01:22 PM

It's not street racing if no one else is there and you're staying close to the speed limit, which was 50. I let off when I got up to 50. So that explains the 44mph trap speed.

Man!!! I knew they were slow but....21 seconds in the 1/4 mile ?? My 78 VW beetle would beat that pulling an airstream trailer !!

• 9 months later...
Does it do damage? Depend who you ask. The FWD fuse is described in the manual as a troubleshooting tool only. The SVX does have one though.

Interesting...I was considering putting the Fuse in during the Non-Winter months, and hoping to enjoy better MPG.

Has anyone done this, or Is this recommended as something NOT to do?

Interesting...I was considering putting the Fuse in during the Non-Winter months, and hoping to enjoy better MPG.

Has anyone done this, or Is this recommended as something NOT to do?

if you search around you'll find pleanty of information on this in this forum. it was also talked about in a CarTalk column.

basically, the only way you'll get better gas mileage wil the FWD in is if you disconnect all of the rear drivetrain because the car still needs to pull and turn all of the rear drive components.

also, you'll go through tires faster too, more than likely.

I pulled away from a Chevy pickup with FI 350 at 105 with my Legacy wagon 2.2.

Good chances that pickup was speed limited to 102 mph.

Aside from that, my 82 wagon passed a 74 air cooled VW with a hefty tailwind, and I had premium in the tank, and it was a blue moon, on a Friday I do believe.

FWD fuse+big wheelspin=smoked transfer cluthces.

While the fuse removes line pressure from the clutches, they're still spinning between the plates, wearing the friction material off.

Yeah an OB with 4.44 gears will smoke the tires in FWD. An SVX will absolutely burn them down, as a user on the SVXWN found out. Unfortunately they ended up replacing the transfer clutches too. Being as the 4EAT is pretty much the same, with just detail differences in the high gear clutches, one can assume the same things will kill them.