Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its Buckys Turn..???s

I am starting Bucksters revamp this weekend...I am going to grab some new rear shoes and tune- up stuff...wondering..since I havent done rear drum brakes on anything ( cept my dirt bike) are there any special tools I need.....before I get him torn down. Any other pointers..want to bring my baby boy back to his former glory..TIA

there's a brake drum spring removal tool that you would typically want to have. i've never done subaru drum brakes, so i'm not sure how different they are, but if there's a tool that helps on subaru's like other drum brakes, i'd make sure you have it. trying to do it with a bag of other tools can be frustrating.

good luck!

subaru drum brakes were what made me fall in love with subarus.. the BEST drum brake setup I have ever seen, bar none. A pair of decent sized needle nose pliers are the only "special" tool you should need; SOME drum brake setups are such that you DO need (or benefit greatly from) having a special tool to remove and attach the shoe retaining clip thingies.... but the ones on the sooob are self explanatory.

As is the case with all brake jobs the first time you do one on any given car, it IS best to do one side from start to finish, BEFORE taking te other side apart, so that you can use the other side as a reference if needs be.

If you have ANY sort of manual to help you, that is FAR more than enough.

My entire family agreed with me; we need to get some subaru drum brake hardware to retrofit onto all of out datsuns. It makes changing brakes in any "race" scenario a MUCH simpler and faster proposition.

subaru drum brakes were what made me fall in love with subarus.. the BEST drum brake setup I have ever seen, bar none.

Yeah, that's cause it's a copy of the air cooled VW drum brake setup. Anybody ever read "How to Keep Your VW alive" by John Muir? I think there was even a subaru version done later. Subaru used the VW as the starting point for there design in the early 70's. At that point the Beetle was(and still is) the most numerous car on the planet. I guess Fuji figured that to be a good starting point.

Actually I have a Haynes AND How 2 keep your Subaru alive on pdf CD I will look into the brake set-up stuff..Thanks a million...so its a good idea to have the spring tool or not?? I have BA needle nose pliers

I've never needed the special tool for EA brakes

dont even need "BA" needle nose (assuming BA stands for big angle :-p)

Normal sized ones will be fine, just don't go attacking it with a pair of "precision" pliers (read: tiny=bad)

HTKYSA FTW!!!!!!:banana:

BA Big ..rear..like mine :lol:

Yeah when i first got my Loyale last year me and my dad did the front and rear brake's! For the rear we just used a pair a needle nose pliers and it worked good! Pretty easy since this is my first car. I really love the disc's in the front Really easyAnyhoo Connie you should really get the Chilton book!:eek: If you get the one for 1985-1996 it cover's all sedan's, Hatchback's, Wagon's, and Coupe's ok! A Really good book. You mite find it at a used book store? Like i did.

Later, Tom......

PS: Did you get the page up for bucky yet at cardomain??

Anyhoo Connie you should really get the Chilton book!:eek: If you get the one for 1985-1996 it cover's all sedan's, Hatchback's, Wagon's, and Coupe's ok! A Really good book. You mite find it at a used book store? Like i did.

QUOTE]

I don't know. I don't like that book at all. To general. Not specific enough about little details. And I found a few blantant wrongs. Wrong picture with descriptions, Digrahms. And the Wiring diagrahms are just a few *examples*diagrahms for different models. Not nearly acurate enough to trust for intense wiring diagnostic such as tracking down shorts in the Engine to ECU harness.

Subaru Factory Service Manuals(FSM), all the way. But I think Bucky92 knows that.

I wish I had an FSM for Bucky..I just have the crappy Haynes ( just like Chiltons) at least HTKYSA is good info. One day I will find and get FSMs for Bucky...since i plan on keeping him forever and ever....I have them already for my XT6...best money ever spent on the car.

and no..I havent done Buckys Car Domain page yet:grin:

I wish I had an FSM for Bucky..I just have the crappy Haynes ( just like Chiltons) at least HTKYSA is good info. One day I will find and get FSMs for Bucky...since i plan on keeping him forever and ever....I have them already for my XT6...best money ever spent on the car.

and no..I havent done Buckys Car Domain page yet:grin:

Well at least the XT manual will have basic info relavant to your Loyale

Timing belt stuff and brakes and such. Justl ook at the 1800 diagrahms

i've serviced the brakes on my hatch and my loyale. the rear brakes are easy unless the drums are stuck on the axles. whoever worked on them before i did probably didn't grease the splines on the rear axle and i can't get the drum off. pullers are pretty expensive too. hopefully yours come apart ok.

only thing i can add to all of this stuff is make sure you get the Hardware kit for your brake job - do NOT reuse the springs or other bits.

other half put new shoes on his car and reused the springs & stuff (thinking he would save a couple of bucks - unknowingly had a spring break and it has trashed the inside of the drum - lesson learned the hard way...:dead:

oh yeah - we have one of those silly spring tools - didnt use it...

...Where can i get the Subaru Factory Service Manuals(FSM),??? I really lke to get one for the Loyale! :headbang:

I wish I had an FSM for Bucky... ... ...and no..I havent done Buckys Car Domain page yet:grin:

Well... I got 'em, and if you want to download a .pdf copy of the FSM for Loyales, Look Here:   :)

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/page-5

I've never needed the special tool for EA brakes

Neither me... and my Dad and I have repaired those rear drum brakes since 1985  :eek:

I Really Like the Rear drum brake setup, but that setup on the FWD version vehicles, came with a weak lock system, that I've improved very well... for More info about, see: 

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/70590-locking-the-rear-wheels-on-2wd-only/?do=findComment&comment=580354

Kind Regards.

► Edited to fix the broken web links.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

There arnt really and 4wd cars up here either. Subarus of our vintage are a rare sight this far north...running or not. :(

I was going to say the same thing....

BTW..when we left Carlisle...I have to say your sedan now has some get up and go!!! 100X better than that AT... People musta thought we were nuts tossing each other the shocker:lol: