Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's wrong with Fram oil filters??

For the record, there is no such thing as too many oil changes. If somone is comfortable at 3000 miles, then thats what they should do.

There is from an economical standpoint - which is really all that matters being we aren't talking about an irreplaceable object that warrents extreem overkill in prevention of eventual failure. The returns on your investment are not there. Besides that there is absolutely no emperical evidence that more frequent oil changes in the EA82 result in less failure. Frankly most on the road burn so much oil at this point that you could literally NEVER change it and only replace the filter and add new oil.

Though considering the year of the car here, i dont know where you get those numbers

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

nipper

Well - that site is wrong. I can photo the 86 owners manual for you if you like - and then maybe another photo of the 2007 owners manual would help you too. Get your facts straight - Subaru's oil change interval has been 7,500 and filter at 15,000 for as long as I can remember. The only change that has been made to that is they now recommend the FIRST change be done at 3,000 due to metal content.

GD

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is from an economical standpoint - which is really all that matters being we aren't talking about an irreplaceable object that warrents extreem overkill in prevention of eventual failure. The returns on your investment are not there. Besides that there is absolutely no emperical evidence that more frequent oil changes in the EA82 result in less failure. Frankly most on the road burn so much oil at this point that you could literally NEVER change it and only replace the filter and add new oil.

Well - that site is wrong. I can photo the 86 owners manual for you if you like - and then maybe another photo of the 2007 owners manual would help you too. Get your facts straight - Subaru's oil change interval has been 7,500 and filter at 15,000 for as long as I can remember. The only change that has been made to that is they now recommend the FIRST change be done at 3,000 due to metal content.

GD

So a guy who sells subarus and services them, and is a bit of a subaru nut, is wrong. (sarcasim)

Go figure.

nipper

PS

SUbaru itself says 3750. 7500. and 15000 a oil and filter at each change

http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp?navid=SCHEDULE_1998

Personally ts foolish to use some of those intervals if you like your engine. 20 bucks per oil change is 200.00 dollars in five years. Double that its 400.00 dollars. a new engine can be from 3500 on up. its much cheaper insurance to do oil changes more often. If the car is a throwaway, fine use the stretched intervals. If you want to keep your car longer (like most soobies) cut them in half.

But hey i just get my facts wrong and many years of analyzing bearing failure, what do i know.

New oil is also somewhat Base, as continued use tends to Acidify it. Thus new oil corrodes aluminium and other parts of the engine. Changing your oil more frequently than required will actually harm the engine more than leaving it till the particulate size, PH, and lubricity are out of range for use.

GD

I have had good luck with purolator,wix,oem,k&n. Lately I have been using k&n by choice. Mostly because of my slight ocd with changing oil and over engineering by k&n as stated by someone before.I use that filter along with synthetic oil and seems to be a great combo. In the past I have used fram and I have had bits of the filter come apart.(paper filtering element) Also I have had trouble with the rubber seal at the base being not up to par with the other filters mentioned.

the short answer is that if you simply get your oil tested at five thousand miles, and again at ten, and change the filter at ten, you will know for certain whether or not you "need to change the oil." Eventually, after a few thousand miles of testing and changing, you can develop a routine of changing that fits your vehicle and desires.

That is that; any guessing about oil change intervals is exactly that: guessing. Many people get away with changing their oil every 15K, by changing their filter every 7.5K, and they have verified the oil's viability at this mileage point via laboratory testing repeatedly. Other situations are not as ideal. The choice is left to each car owner how thoroughly they want to investigate the matter, and how pre-emptive they want to be in their maintenance.

the short answer is that if you simply get your oil tested at five thousand miles, and again at ten, and change the filter at ten, you will know for certain whether or not you "need to change the oil." Eventually, after a few thousand miles of testing and changing, you can develop a routine of changing that fits your vehicle and desires.

That's what most large fleets, and even owner-operator truckers do. It's also what we do in the Army (AOAP=Army Oil Analysis Program). We don't change the oil unless the testing says so (or testing becomes unavailible due to circumstances) - occasionally that means they want a change, and then a retest after a specific operating condition. Usually this signifies something was amiss with the results and it occasionally results in the engine being overhauled at the depot level etc. The military uses near 30% of all the oil and fuel products consumed by the united states so it makes good sense to test - plus the military operates their own labs (both mobile and state-side) so the cost is negligible compared to the savings. Especially on a truck that uses dozens of quarts of oil to fill the case.

GD

Yes - that's the one.

You are doing yourself a diservice by changing the oil and filter at 3,000. That's really too often and is a waste of money and effort at todays oil prices. Some may argue, but Subaru sugests a 7,500 interval for the oil, and 15,000 for the filter.

GD

Subaru is in the business of selling cars....NOT making them last!

For the record, there is no such thing as too many oil changes. If somone is comfortable at 3000 miles, then thats what they should do.

Though considering the year of the car here, i dont know where you get those numbers

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

nipper

What numbers???? I know Subaru say's you can do it at 7500 but why? 3000 is a good time ya know!!

Subaru is in the business of selling cars....NOT making them last!

I disagree for many, many reasons which I'm not going to go into here. Suffice to say that your comment is neither educated about corporate practices nor in line with the generation of vehicles this thread (and section of the forum) is mostly in reference too. The average life of automobiles has been steadily increaseing for the entirety of their ~100 year history. Clearly you aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

GD

What numbers???? I know Subaru say's you can do it at 7500 but why? 3000 is a good time ya know!!

Once again I'll point out that the PH balance of the oil comes into play. If the oil doesn't need to be changed, then you are replacing a PH balanced crankcase of oil with one that is Alkaline and thus corrosive to aluminium, rubber, and other engine components. This will increase wear, not reduce it. Same goes for filters - their particulate size decreases with use, and a quality filter is designed to take advantage of this fact. A decent filter will have a long "middle" life of small particulate trappment, and high flow rate.

GD

And to the guy how was talking about older Roo's blowing oil!

My 92 run's and drive perfect! No oil blowing, nothing!!:banana: Once i change my oil pump and timing belts she'll be like new!:) I trying to keep her as long as i can! The EA82 series makes a great 1st car! Subaru's are my love!

So your saying???:grin:

Your engine wears a lot more right after your oil change. If you excessively change your oil, then your engine will actually wear quicker.

I personally, change my oil every 3,000 miles if my car has just been doing city driving, or sitting alot. If its done a lot of highway miles (like trips to other worlds), I usually stretch it out further. Never had a problem.

With that said, I could probably stretch it out to 7500 every time for an oil change, and still never have a problem.

Do what you're most comfortable with. If you're comfortable stretching out oil changes, then by all means, do it. It will save you money and will help save the environment (hey, every little bit helps).