Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Some Opinions

Just wanted to get some of you guys opinions on something....you know what it is...Bucky... You all know how I feel about this car..in fact to me he isnt a car at all...He has been the only one to always be there for me for the past 4 years...When I was alone..Bucky was there..even when he shouldnt have..he always took care of me...and due to my own fault of never having the money or having to give something else priority...he has fallen in dis-repair.. He needs the wheel wells finished..both axles are shot front bushings are gone..he still needs a new throw out bearing..his head gasket oozes ( external and oozes oil) he isnt running quite right . sputters until he gets up to 2500 rpm.. plus I feel the head gaskets arent going to hold much longer..but I could be wrong.

I found someone who I would 100% trust to adopt him and would be able to fix what is wrong better then me..but that person doesnt want me to regret selling him..

I so want a 4WD lifted EA82 wagon..with offroad lights etc etc..

Do I send him off to another home who I know will take care of him...or do I keep him and make him into the offroad rig I really want.

I have Rocky for the show car...and now Pheebie ..who only needs some minor work to turn her into an awesome daily driver.

The big question here is the cancer. Can you fix the cancer. Can the other person fix the cancer (or at least stop it). WIthout addressing this issue, all the other points are moot.

What kind of timeline do you have for making over Bucky (realisitcally).

nipper

Here's what I think.

There are some people who never fall in love. I think it's a good thing that you did.

But now you got an old woman on your hands. Now, most of us would say, RUN LIKE HELL. But I see that you're a bit sensitive. You spent a lot of time with her. She done things for you -- no one else done for you. You feel, a little nostalgic. Maybe a bit guilty. You darn near broke her back. But you care. It shows. I'm sure a lot of women darn near cried when they read your post.

Now pull yourself together and look at it this way. You don't have any kids together. And, despite what you might think, she ain't gonna know the difference whether she's with you or with someone else. I mean, son, let's get real. She can barely go and fetch you a beer any more! This might sound hard but.... Oh, I just can't say it. Maybe someone else can. Good luck to you.

Here's what I think.

There are some people who never fall in love. I think it's a good thing that you did.

But now you got an old woman on your hands. Now, most of us would say, RUN LIKE HELL. But I see that you're a bit sensitive. You spent a lot of time with her. She done things for you -- no one else done for you. You feel, a little nostalgic. Maybe a bit guilty. You darn near broke her back. But you care. It shows. I'm sure a lot of women darn near cried when they read your post.

Now pull yourself together and look at it this way. You don't have any kids together. And, despite what you might think, she ain't gonna know the difference whether she's with you or with someone else. I mean, son, let's get real. She can barely go and fetch you a beer any more! This might sound hard but.... Oh, I just can't say it. Maybe someone else can. Good luck to you.

I see we have somebody who doesn't really believe cars have souls too...

Its a tough decision, that is for sure.

This may sound crazy, but go talk it over with him... Yes I mean Bucky. Listen to your heart. If he needs more than you can give, it might be worth it to let him go on to somebody who can give him what he needs.

Here's what I think.

First off..Bucky is a boy :grin: and I am a chick!! And like 86Bratman said..Bucky DOES have a soul .If any car in this world has a soul its Bucky( you would have to meet him to understand)....This car could drive across country...I have been told by many..he is one of the quietest EA82s ..specially with 203K.. I may just park him for a bit and once Pheebie ( my Impreza ) is ready see what I can do with Old Buck.. The rust now ( thanks to backwoodsboy) is controlable...Just have to keep an eye on the windsheild.Between the Imp and Rocky ( my XT6) Bucky can get some attention that he needs. Maybe I can learn how to weld on him...we will see.

My apologies, m'am. You leave me embarrassed. Or is that embare-assed? I didn't know that there was a woman behind the wheel. That changes everything. Logic goes out the window. I think we should call on some African voodoo mechanics to explain what to do. I've seen them look at a car, build a big fire, call all their friends, and dance around that fire until the sun came up. When I went back 10 years later, they still were driving the same car. No, I say, LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU! Build that fire. Call all your friends. Dance for that car!

Cars do have souls once they get past 100,000 miles (or 5 years). They grow them by osmosis from thier owners. :)

Trucks seem to have them off the lot.

nipper

Trucks are like mules. Cars are like horses.

Trucks are like mules. Cars are like horses.

Quite the analogy I would use.

Buck's been your love for a long time. But just like a good horse, if you can't provide for him anymore and someone else can, then don't feel bad. Lots of old horses get sent to "horse retirment" where they get to live happily for their last years, no more work or riders or whatever. Just love and good hay.

Don't give up the Buckster if you can give him the love and work he needs. If not, let him move on to greener pastures. I don't want to sound evil, so if I did, I appologize.

Sometimes even horses just need new shoes...

I think I am going to end up keeping him for a bit longer..I was suprised that Tommy even said last night he would hate to see him go ( I think secretly he likes the Buck!...shhhh)

But will Bucky let you keep Tommy ....

nipper

Hey kiddo, you have a warm, dry garage... tuck him in. He's a cool car... I really have to say that... in ernest.

In time, the other cars will probably make the decision... mine did, after 1 year of every concept of conversion/repair. The '84 is getting stripped for parts to save my '86 :(

Breaks my heart that I have to sacrifice one for the other, but life will go on.

I fully agree on the car with souls idea... My 86 has one hell of personality and it gets down right annoying sometimes. Ask anyone who rides with me.

My car has a habit of talking me, and no I dont need meds, all you have to do is ask the car a question... The car normally ideals at about 800 RPMs and to answer yes it revs up to 1500 and no is about 200...

To bad I will be replacing "Old Yeller" soon with a 88 turbo that has no rust and in general better condition.

Anyone willing to adopt?

Hey kiddo, you have a warm, dry garage... tuck him in. He's a cool car... I really have to say that... in ernest.

In time, the other cars will probably make the decision... mine did, after 1 year of every concept of conversion/repair. The '84 is getting stripped for parts to save my '86 :(

Breaks my heart that I have to sacrifice one for the other, but life will go on.

Mary...the Garage is going to be Rockys winter home..unless by some miracle I can get a much better job ( I obviously didnt get that good one I had the interview with:-\ ).. I was hoping to get Rock stripped and sent out for the underbody work he needs. I was hoping to...at some point..add another 2 car garage to the property.

I really wasnt ready for the 3rd car to enter the picture ( Pheebie my Imp)but how can you turn down a free running Imp.

At least you have the 86 so your 84 will live on... I am swapping Buckys stereo into Rock today but thats about all for now.

If you love that car that much, just keep it!! Otherwise you will regret it sooner as you think of. Rust is repairable, almost always and it can be done step by step.

And yeah I also believe that at least some cars have souls. My 1989 Leone/Loyale shows that signs, too: It's reliable like hell - like any other Subaru I know - and I never really have any concers that it will break down or something like that. But I know one girl - many describe her as insane :-\ - who really wasn't good for me (but that's another three year long story) and almost every time I picked her up last year, there were some issues with the car. Any other time everything was fine, but as soon as she was in the car, something happened (ignition coil failed, alternator failed, starting troubles and so on). It was really unbelievable... As it wants to protect me. Or my car is a girl and she was just jealous of her. Who knows...

Keep him. Good backup transportation, or if a friend's car goes kaput and they need a loaner for a week. I keep thinking I'm going to get rid of my '89GL, and I park him in the yard and start driving one of my other cars. But it seems like at least every 3 months, I go back to driving the GL, because it's the only running car I have again.....:dead: He's probably more reliable than all 5 other cars combined (okay, the '82 suby always runs fine too but needs plates) I've promised him to my brother several times (since I owe him a car) -- now I'm thinking I'll just buy my brother a gen 1 leg instead, so I can keep the GL.

My apologies, m'am. You leave me embarrassed. Or is that embare-assed? I didn't know that there was a woman behind the wheel. That changes everything. Logic goes out the window. I think we should call on some African voodoo mechanics to explain what to do. I've seen them look at a car, build a big fire, call all their friends, and dance around that fire until the sun came up. When I went back 10 years later, they still were driving the same car. No, I say, LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU! Build that fire. Call all your friends. Dance for that car!

Dude, you're quite weird. But be advised, that isn't necassarily a bad thing:).

But back to topic, if you can keep massaging Bucky into greatness, then that would be great. Welding isn't too hard, so long as you have a quality welder, though it takes a lot of time to get good, though, as I am horrible still. Make sure you remember him if he loses regular driver status. Don't just keep him for wagon duty or anything like that, take him out and keep him clean, fixed, and go on a few leisurely journeys with him.

Bottom line, as long as you don't forget him, and can fix him, keep him. If you can't, give him to someone who can, and don't let him sit rusting in your yard or garage.

I was in a similar predicament about 4 years ago. had this '92 3AT FWD Loyale that came from Florida (virtually rust free), and had begun to replace it with 4WD EA82s. started with the POS Iowa '85, which almost broke in half, then the 2 lifted ones. then I used the parts from the '85, along with the motor from my mom's former daily driver ('92 legacy), among a few other parts, to make what really is my dream subie.

But, when the original opportunity presented itself, I couldn't afford to take on the project. my parents wanted me to just sell it before it turned into total junk. but I refused. leaving it sitting in the yard beside the garage for years. until last summer.

What was my first car, and earned the nickname P.O.S.U.V., turned into the FrankenWagon, and one of the sweetest, and most famous EA82s in the state!

long story short. keep him, keep your eye out for a rusted out D/R GL for virtually nothing (4WD conversion parts), strip that and then look for a Legacy EJ donor. accumulate parts, and even more knowhow, and when you're ready, you'll be able to make Bucky into everything you've ever dreamed.

One of my favorite things, is when people at work ask me how many miles are on the car, and I reply, "well, just rolled over 183k on the body, so it's rather young. The motor's going on 250k, and the tranny had about 200 before it was pulled from it's original car, and was in someone else's wagon for 30-40k before I put it in mine." it really says a lot about how much you care for the car, and how much you're willing to do to keep it alive.

bucky92 you helped me with suba (my 88 gl) so i know you can work on these. probly as well as your buddy. and i know i would never get rid of suba. if your like me bucky is a friend to you, not just a car. i would keep bucky if i were you.just save money and fix him up over time. suba has 275k on her and besides the smog issue you have been helping me with. she is still purring. 205k is nothing. remember he is a subaru. lol and i have to aggree with the truck thing. i got rid of my jeep truck no prob. the car are horses trucks are mules coment has one eception though.

the brat. :)

bucky92 you helped me with suba (my 88 gl) so i know you can work on these. probly as well as your buddy. and i know i would never get rid of suba. if your like me bucky is a friend to you, not just a car. i would keep bucky if i were you.just save money and fix him up over time. suba has 275k on her and besides the smog issue you have been helping me with. she is still purring. 205k is nothing. remember he is a subaru. lol and i have to aggree with the truck thing. i got rid of my jeep truck no prob. the car are horses trucks are mules coment has one eception though.

the brat. :)

Oh I can work on them ( just did rear suspension swap on my Impreza yesterday....and my XT6..with the exception of a hub and a panel welded into the floor..has been completely maintained and rebuilt by myself).

My Old Loyale Bucky IS a freind..it was all I had at one point in my life ( a very bad point also)..and since I have had so much taken from me in the past ( besides everything I owned I also had any self esteem and confidence taken etc etc.. I am actually a mental basket case:rolleyes: ) Bucky has been the only thing no one could take from me.

I am going to hold onto him for a bit longer... I have a person who I would trust 110% picked out if I do sell him ( John.. I sent you the adoption papers right???:-p :lol: Still need refrences from 20 mechanics) if or when the times does come.