Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I hate my XT6 with Every little peice of my Soul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... an EJ engined XT6 doesn´t sound as Fun as an EJ Engined Loyale...

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?

an EJ XT sounds like the most magical subaru of all, to me!! other than that, the JDM 2 door STI is the closest thing to a reliable subaru sports car there is!!

I am sorry, I just cannot get over a prejudice regarding the ER27.. one of the first motors I ever saw get blown was the one in my dad's 6, and anyhow it just seems like a no brainer to drop in a DOHC 4 of lower displacement, yet more power, that has MORE aftermarket support.. You could lose the godawful XT6 space-age power steering system, and I mean.. Just, how can you SAY something like that?!?!??? AWD EJ XT FTW!

Before we start and arguement about Er27 vs EJ whatever...let me just state..my ER27 is a great motor!..if you go back and note my complaints ..its been pretty much...everything else...with the exception of blowing an intake manifold gasket..which was actually cause by whoever installed this motor not tighening down the bolts to spec...and with old Rad caps the pressure never built up...new caps and a trickle leak turned into a mess..The motor is fine...the coil?? that can go on anything..the plugs wires etc..also can happen to anything.

So lets not get into any fighting over swapping to an EJ..cause I have no plans of that anyway..want to keep my ER27..and save my EJ series for my Imp.

and dearon..this quote:

an EJ XT sounds like the most magical subaru of all, to me!! other than that, the JDM 2 door STI is the closest thing to a reliable subaru sports car there is!!

almost makes you sound like our "friends" 3 main bearing love..LOL..J/k! winky crap

I am sorry, I just cannot get over a prejudice regarding the ER27.. one of the first motors I ever saw get blown was the one in my dad's 6, and anyhow it just seems like a no brainer to drop in a DOHC 4 of lower displacement, yet more power, that has MORE aftermarket support..

Oh it's on like Donkey Kong now!:banana:

blah blah blah... you just haven't taken a ride in a well tuned XT-6... Mine will blow the doors off of a 2.5 Rs... cake walk. I can kill a WRX off the line easy... And I get 25 MPG and can use regular(if I wanted) plus this is a motor based off the EA82 that was designed in the early 80s... and they still are around today. I love mine... Torque FTW!

You could lose the godawful XT6 space-age power steering system, and I mean.. Just, how can you SAY something like that?!?!??? AWD EJ XT FTW!

Shhh... you don't know what your talking about here... the XT-6's power steering is great. Yeah, mine was not working when I got it... but I slapped new brushes in it and it has been fine ever since... like 6 years now and I haven't had to even think about it. It's about the best idea on the entire car.

All that said, if/when I blow this motor either of its own doing or my evil doings I probably will do a new gen swap... maybe something of the EZ30 variety:banana:

You could lose the godawful XT6 space-age power steering system, and I mean.. Just, how can you SAY something like that?!?!??? AWD EJ XT FTW!

first of all when driving my svx i miss the xt-6's cybred setup, it is awsome the way it feels, the smoothe reaction and it is the only part of my car i havent had a problem with(knocks on wood)

second of all the er27 makes almost the same hp/tq of an ej motor, and gets awsome gasmilage, when its running right i can get 28 out of mine and i'm very mean to that car. i've blown up one of these and i can't believe the beating it toook to do that. it was that durability that caused me to put another er27 in my xt6 when it blew

so, go look at bgd73s 3main bearing crank shaft ok, before telling me about how ************ty a car you have never ridden in is built

But an EG33 powered XT6 sounds like boatloads of fun....hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to ride in one!

Oh, Pics Please!!!

Well... I was Writin´ about that removin´ a six Cyl engine for a 4 cyl always is some sort of "Downgrading"... but I understand that the EJ series are very High Performance engines, and I think that I can remove the Weberized EA82 from my White Wagon, swappin´ it for a EJ25 -actually it is one of my "Dream Projects" for the Future- but both are 4 Cyl ones.

Please, don´t misunderstood me, I think a EJ engined XT is a good Idea, but a EJ engined XT6... is like "Loose the Magical" from the SIX Cyl that makes the XT6, to be an XT6.

Anyhow, a Subie will be a Subie, no matter it´s Subie Engine.

I didnt mean to bash the Six, as such..

Heck, The only way I can explain where I am coming from is to relate the pipe dream that I have of being able to find a 4 cylinder XT to swap an EJ into. When I read Loyale 2.7 Turbo's comment, I reacted.

My bad! My comments about what happened in my early past, as I was beginning to understand what a car was, were an attempt to mollify grievance and explain why somewhere, predating any personal experience with a subaru, (I was eleven years old) I got a negative impression on the motor. For some reason the blown ER27 was hanging around in the shop for five or six years longer than he had the car; I don't even know in what capacity it was "blown" but he felt it warranted to get a new (used?) engine rather than repair the old. The 351 V8 in our Econoline blew at about the same time, we suspect a bad case of oil since we had just changed oil in both vehicles. Whatever.

Given the readily available power from an EJ, and the ease of replacing an EA with an EJ, it seems to me to be a "best option."

And you are all right, I've never driven the six.. but I was making a couple of argument points. Not stating die hard beliefs. Please don't take it as such because I had the maybe poor judgement to use an oversized font :rolleyes:

Honestly, the six is the engine that I would say belongs in the GL/loyale series.. That would bring the vehicle up to par with say, a Nissan Maxima or Toyota Cressida, even though the vehicle was smaller. I suppose an EJ accomplishes the same thing.

To honestly state my opinion on the matter, if I had an XT6 I wouldn't be itching to swap the motor by any means!! BUT, I would CERTAINLY not be opposed to the idea if I had the opportunity. Let's just say that I think the XT is the vehicle that the EJ eas built for.

As for the SVX motor, I discount the reality of that motor, because in all practicality I will probably NEVER see one.

And THAT is where that was coming from. sorry to cause the :Flame:

LMAO Dearon..you have to understand...us XT6 fans are edgie right now with XT6.net down.;)

And its sad to know that you may never see ..or yet....drive ...an EG33 powered anything. I have driven my friends enough to know WOW:eek: and am looking forward to taking a drive in the infamous Frankenwedge.

And like Phil states..we can take many many cars off the line with out ER27s..I know I have without even trying with my bone stocker.

The cybrid steering thing..awesome...Its so noticable that when I have to swap into my Loyale or even the Imp..its a whole new world.

Come up to the Dragon meet in NC this weekend...I will let you take Rocky out for a spin:grin:

Another XT6 story from me...

My dad caught my older brother sneaking out and driving the XT6 around because he kept tabs on his trip computer trip odometer, and the average speed. He played with it alot because he had a 50 mile commute to work, at 60-70 mph, through rural mountain highways in NC. That is why he bought the XT6.

My brother would go out and joyride at two, three in the morning sometimes.. and thats not what made my dad angry. He was craftier than that; He started resetting the average speed on the trip computer every time he got home at night, and checking it the following morning.

He started seeing average speeds of 60, 70+ mph on trips that my brother took that were like, 10 miles long.

My brother got into big trouble for breaking 100 in the 6 before he even had his license. I know how fast and how quick that car is; my dad chose it over a turbo 300ZX when he bought the car, and he was a Z-guy since they came out with the things. I just wish I had memories of the car that extended beyond age 13 :confused:

EG33 powered SV-XT6, AKA Frankenwedge, Built by Huck369 ince he hasn't posted pics of his own, I'll post a link to his site.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/423668

Huck, and grossgary are our resident XT6 gurus over at xt6.net. You gotta admire the ingenuity it took to shoehorn that EG33 into an ea series chassis.

OK, I'm here....I'm just a little slow lately....:eek:

And Crazy, you Will get to ride in FrankenWedge this weekend...I still don't have a good clutch in it, but it still ROCKS.....

I think the ER27 is a great engine.. mine ran fine right up till I pulled it to install the EG33...I just wanted a monster, so FrankenWedge was born...

I've been thinking about building a EJ18 powered XT, for a daily driver, as I think it'd be the perfect driver...great milege with the .29 CD and the 110HP EJ18....ought to get around 40 mpg on the highway...and that's as much HP as a stock EA82T...., but no waiting for th eturbo to spool up...

Just some thoughts...

And Connie, I have FrankenWedge's old coil in my trunk, you can have it as a spare since I don't have anything it'll work on now....:rolleyes:

Frankenwedge <shivers> Mmmm love that animal.

I'll have my 6 at the next Dragon bet your hiney on that. With driving Connie's boy and reading all the post it's making me sad that I haven't been paying much attention to Shel. So my goal as of right now is get Shel on the road and get Peej over to TomsSVX to fit in her new stuffs so that way next year I might (if Kimmi wants to) bring the 6 and the SVX. God Lord I'm an addict LOL

Smiles,

Melis

Frankenwedge <shivers> Mmmm love that animal.

I'll have my 6 at the next Dragon bet your hiney on that. With driving Connie's boy and reading all the post it's making me sad that I haven't been paying much attention to Shel. So my goal as of right now is get Shel on the road and get Peej over to TomsSVX to fit in her new stuffs so that way next year I might (if Kimmi wants to) bring the 6 and the SVX. God Lord I'm an addict LOL

Smiles,

Melis

How many times have I told you...when are we going to work on Shel...I am there or I am square..you know that.

Maybe next year Rockys frame will be fixed and he will be sporting the same paint..just done professionally.

And Huck... I want a ride in Frankenwedge too!!!

OK, I'm here....I'm just a little slow lately....:eek:

And Crazy, you Will get to ride in FrankenWedge this weekend...I still don't have a good clutch in it, but it still ROCKS.....

I think the ER27 is a great engine.. mine ran fine right up till I pulled it to install the EG33...I just wanted a monster, so FrankenWedge was born...

I've been thinking about building a EJ18 powered XT, for a daily driver, as I think it'd be the perfect driver...great milege with the .29 CD and the 110HP EJ18....ought to get around 40 mpg on the highway...and that's as much HP as a stock EA82T...., but no waiting for th eturbo to spool up...

Just some thoughts...

And Connie, I have FrankenWedge's old coil in my trunk, you can have it as a spare since I don't have anything it'll work on now....:rolleyes:

How lightweight could you get an XT??????????? IE, lightest curb weight from factory, i guess for say a DL??? how heavy was the 6?? anyone have a scan of that page from an FSM?

How lightweight could you get an XT??????????? IE, lightest curb weight from factory, i guess for say a DL??? how heavy was the 6?? anyone have a scan of that page from an FSM?

Specs call out a stock ea82 5-speed as 2,455 and the XT6 5-speed at 2,885....which is a lot lighter than a stock WRX, plus it's got a MUCH lower CD of 0.29 than an Impreza...which is Vette territory:headbang:

How many times have I told you...when are we going to work on Shel...I am there or I am square..you know that.

Maybe next year Rockys frame will be fixed and he will be sporting the same paint..just done professionally.

Connie... buy a cheap buffer and some Polish... not wax, but polish... I used nu finish(orange bottle) on my rustolem and it looks friggin AWEOSOME... ohh and isn't it nice? You have XT-6 experiance so now it'll be easier for you to kick melis into fixing hers:banana:

The lightest no-so-factory XT-6 is mine... or Ben's.. FWD MT5 XT6 should weight in at around 2700 Lbs... but I think that's a full complement weight(peoples and their junk) When I weighed my 2.5 Rx it came to a smooth 2600 Lbs on the nose and I think that the XT would be lighter.