Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i got it! crazy D scores again ***now with pics!!!!!!***

your looking at the owner of a really nice '82 GL brat.!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

i really like it, theres only i few things thats funny about it

but the one that concerns me is i cant tell if my clutch is gone or just needs adjusting, its stiff when i push it in but it only compresses like an inch. so really not a lot of clutch,...i guess... its pretty stiff going into all the gears, and makes a grinding noise going into 3rd.....has a newer tranny so it cant be that...so its the clutch, any ideas?

i love it tho, it has alot of power, even for a carter weber single bbl.....hauls rump roast!:burnout:

t tops are cool too.

i think ill be happy with it.

see ya fellow soob lovers!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16761&cat=500&ppuser=13622

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16762&cat=500&ppuser=13622

more pics in my gallery.

the subaru kid

-Dalton

i knew everbody was gonna go ape sh!!!t if i didnt have pics....i dont have a digital camera, but my friend does so when he gets back from wherever he went ill get everybody pics k? but thanks guys....any more suggestions on the clutch?

the subaru kid

-Dalton

Pics would be nice.

My son had a brat and we had some problems with the clutch, mainly electrical though ;) .

Check the cable, it is probably wore out, and stiff.

The housing end at the trany might be wore and moving sideways, or the cable might be frayed inside the housing.

Hush

P.S. did you get my PM?

Yeah, I agree with the clutch cable diagnosis (at least try that first). I've got a good used one from my wagon, changed it at WCSS (thanks again, Renaissance Man). You can have it, we just need to meet up soon and maybe do a little horse tradin' :) .

This is for down the road, but if the cable doesn't help, you clutch could need replacing. When my clutches start getting that stiff, the pressure plate springs become worn and actually stiffen and are harder to flex, causing you to exert more pressure to move the clutch back.

First things first, try the cable first. It's yours if you want it. If you're set on getting a new one, I can probably get you a new one from my supplier in Tahoe (at my cost of course:cool: )..let me know.

/D

Yeah, I agree with the clutch cable diagnosis (at least try that first). I've got a good used one from my wagon, changed it at WCSS (thanks again, Renaissance Man). You can have it, we just need to meet up soon and maybe do a little horse tradin' :) .

This is for down the road, but if the cable doesn't help, you clutch could need replacing. When my clutches start getting that stiff, the pressure plate springs become worn and actually stiffen and are harder to flex, causing you to exert more pressure to move the clutch back.

First things first, try the cable first. It's yours if you want it. If you're set on getting a new one, I can probably get you a new one from my supplier in Tahoe (at my cost of course:cool: )..let me know.

/D

dave we definatley need to do another get together sometime soon....

my guess is that it might need a new clutch...but the thing im concerned about is my brakes....the rear drums are basically useless. its just metal on metal. so im thinking of doing a read disk brake conversion. im pretty sure jeremy or jb could help me with that and we could probably do it in a day.....anybody have a set of rear disks for me? whats involved in it? just rear disks from an Ea82 turbo and a brake line?

thanks guys

the subaru kid

-Dalton

Pics would be nice.

My son had a brat and we had some problems with the clutch, mainly electrical though ;) .

Check the cable, it is probably wore out, and stiff.

The housing end at the trany might be wore and moving sideways, or the cable might be frayed inside the housing.

Hush

P.S. did you get my PM?

oh no i didnt...send me another buddy!

thanks

-D

dave we definatley need to do another get together sometime soon....

my guess is that it might need a new clutch...but the thing im concerned about is my brakes....the rear drums are basically useless. its just metal on metal. so im thinking of doing a read disk brake conversion. im pretty sure jeremy or jb could help me with that and we could probably do it in a day.....anybody have a set of rear disks for me? whats involved in it? just rear disks from an Ea82 turbo and a brake line?

thanks guys

the subaru kid

-Dalton

Have you inspected the rear brakes, or are you just going by the noise they are making?

Reason for asking is, mine sound like they are metal-metal when they reach the point of needing adjusting.

Have you inspected the rear brakes, or are you just going by the noise they are making?

Reason for asking is, mine sound like they are metal-metal when they reach the point of needing adjusting.

they are adjusted as far as they'll go and its reaaly loud when i apply brakes, and braking power is week. guy i bought it from says the need replacing

just another reason to get rear disks.:banana:

once again....does anybody have the set up?

-Dalton

My "new" GL wagon had a very stiff clutch with little play until I replaced the cable, so +1 for the cable replacement first. Once classes start up again we'll have to go do some wrenching or wheeling! I've got an engine stand and hoist if you need to borrow them. They might even fit in your BRAT. Good luck with the brakes. I'll be doing the rears as well and hopefully will go with rear disk setup if possible.

so im thinking of doing a read disk brake conversion. im pretty sure jeremy or jb could help me with that and we could probably do it in a day.....anybody have a set of rear disks for me? whats involved in it? just rear disks from an Ea82 turbo and a brake line?

The disk conversion is tooooo easy... I did it by myself in about 3 hours.

you need..the calipers,rotors,backing plate and bolts from the donor ..EA82 Turbo 4WD ( dont pull from a FWD cause it openings are a different size)..the calipers will have the brake line...it will attach to your exsisting hard line..just make sure its bent up and out of the way ...then recheck and recheck ( with tires on)

FYI - the 82 clutch cable is different than the 83+

The cable length vs the cable housing differs.

Also, the 82 has the small clutch... kinda worthless if you go with bigger tires - you'll burn it right up. The best mod then would be to change to the bigger clutch set and flywheel. It's a direct bolt in. Easy too. New flywheel is about $75.

r/ PK

Dalton. The wagon carcass i have up at Jibs had a rear disc setup on it. I believe they are still up there. The rotors and Caliper and backing plate are all you need.

If you can get it off of there, they are yours.

-Brian

Hey Brian, is the engine still in that car?

my dad picked up the car with me, mom doesnt know:grin:

jeremy, thanks man.... i really need more help getting the wagon back together so i can get it sold, but thamks for the offer. did you move in with lizzy?

Dave, the engine is not in brians wagon, but is sitting next to it with no intake, disty, and some other stuff, but its there......i call a wrench fest/ wheelin trip!

WHEELING TRIP WRENCH FEST AT MY PLACE!!!!!

what time works for everybody?

i also plan on putting my 15 in. alloys on the brat, along with a custom roll bar, and a line-X bed liner, and a cd player.

-Dalton

Gratz on the Brat! Do you have a lift-kit in it's near future? :Flame:zzz

I'm also guessing clutch cable, and if it's the short one opposed to the longer one it may need, maybe that is why you can't push it in that far? And if it's too short, not allowing the clutch to be completly disengauged, that would explain it being difficult going into the gears and griding while going into 3rd.

FYI - the 82 clutch cable is different than the 83+

The cable length vs the cable housing differs.

Also, the 82 has the small clutch... kinda worthless if you go with bigger tires - you'll burn it right up. The best mod then would be to change to the bigger clutch set and flywheel. It's a direct bolt in. Easy too. New flywheel is about $75.

r/ PK

Thanks PK, I didn't know my '83 cable was different than the '82.

Another bit of info to file away into the "gray matter", thus giving up more hair to make space for it :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Very sweet looking brat.. I always wanted the t-tops :(

So, lift it 3 to 4 inches and some 27x9.5 Swampers and you'll be set?

well actually, i think im gonna keep it farely stock for now. what i want to do is maybe put some taller springs in the front. skid plate, lights, CD deck, jump seats, rhino lined bed, legacy seats, and lsd in rear. i do have a mild lift FOR it, but i dont know if i want to use it. a lift just means bigger tires, which means poor gearing, which means less power than i already have, and poor gas mileage.

when i have the money and come across the right deal, i plan on doing an ej20G conversion, with a mild lift and big wide rump roast tires and maybe 5 lug. i want something that hauls rump roast, but is still offroad capable....hmmmm sounds familiar huh matty B?:grin: his is the spitting image of what i want to turn the brat into but thats just dreams.(which by the way i need to get ahold of suberdave)

if there is one thing i've learned tho, is that lifts are not a nessecity. i have gone wheeling with Dave, and he is all the proof you need that a stocker can go pretty much anywhere a lifted can go....rock on Mr. stock!:headbang: oh ill give you a call to see wat you wanna do for a meet.

thanks for the kind words gang!

-Dalton