Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crashed the loyale...

Well. I did it about 2 weeks ago. Decided to rally on a dirt/gravel road. Was going about 40 there was a jump and I jumped it....when I came down, I couldn't turn very well, and it was a corner....so I hit the dirt bank/ditch thing, and went up it.

The car was fine. I put it in 4WD and got out easily. Started right up, etc. Well then I noticed my hub cap had popped off....

I looked at the front right tired (passenger side) and noticed it looked wayyy messed up.

I had to drive it home - about 30 miles. My dad says it needs a new lower control arm.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k263/USFattay/Subaru/

What do you guys think?

i really can't say with out looking, but it looks allot like my svx when i got it and changing out the lower control arm fixed it, so i'm gonna say your dad is right, but check the strut, knuckle and where the strut mounts to the fender to make sure they arn't bent

take the wheel off....you'll soon see what's the problem

I did something much like that in my loyale, except it destroyed the wheel and tire that was on there aswell. new control arm and leading rod, and it's good as new...

well, now, 3 years later, I'm finding the damage when the tire hit the fender made it EXTREMELY difficult to mount my body kit :Flame:

I did that to my wagon, and I replaced the lower control arm to make it straight. But, it also bent the sway bar, and i didnt get an extra. So i ended up forcing the sway bar into place, and even tho it looked good from the outside, the car had a horrible pull to the right when i was done.

When you get your parts. Get a new sway bar too.

-Brian

Probally bent the radius rod also.

Yes, this is what my Brumby looked like after my brother hit a bank of dirt in it. Take off the wheel and you'll see the radius/caster rod is bent, but also look at the control arm vs the other side and see if it is twisted at all. I'm pretty sure you'll just find its twisted on the rubber joint and it doesn't need replacing.

Good luck mate. Hopefully just the radius rod.

Us Subie owners are pretty much fearless, huh?

How about another question...how much $$$ do you think I could get for her, as she is?

225K miles...etc.....nice looking, but does have some problems.

Don't take this personally.

But in WA, that car is worth maybe $50 as is.

That's one way to eliminate positive camber.:dead:

For real though, glad you're not hurt. Looks like definatley the radius rod and control arm are bent. Also check the condition of the upper strut mount and the strut really well. Look for any signs that the unibody has bent at the strut tops and at the radius rod attachment points. If you are suspect, take measurements diagonally between Rear X-member mounts and radius plate in front. Make sure it measures the same distance diagonally across the box.

• 3 weeks later...

I've banana'd my drivers side radius rod that bad before. Replaced it with a used one in about 3/4's of an hour, and left the control arm as it was. Didn't seem to affect the control arm, the bushing took up most of the twist.

You need a 19mm wrench, a 17mm wrench, and a 17mm socket w/ ratchet. It's easy to fix.

nice one. i had a bent control arm on a similar off roading injury. either way it's not bad to fix - strut, control arm, radius rod, that stuff is all easy and cheap to get. i'd check what Gloyale said about making sure it all mounts properly. would it be obvious though when he goes to replace the parts? they won't line up right if something else is out of alignment? he definitely needs that radius rod. if the mounting point or control arm are out of whack then a perfectly good radius rod won't mount properly will it?

For sure getting Radius Rod. But can any of you tell if I need the control arm too?

Compare the damaged control arm to the undamaged on. It might help to unbolt the damaged radius rod to see how it lines up.

just by looking at this picture,

HPIM0362.jpg?t=1188918138

it does appear that the control arm is twisted, but it may look like that b/c of the banana'ed radius rod.