Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the biggest tire i can put on the Stock 13" steely?

It seems that tires for a 13 inch rim are scarce. I called a few local tire dealers and at least two of them didn't even carry a 13 and didn't even offer to order them for me. I found a couple online but the tread patterns were pretty much just for pavement.

On a decent OD sized tire the rule of thumb is you can go upto 138% wider then the rim. Or the rim is 73% the width of the tire.. As for tire height, as tall as you can get them. I'm running 215mm wide semi low profiles on 6" wide rims and they work great, no weird wear.

i have a hard time finding 185-70's every where i go. they ar4e either out of stock or they dont have a complete sset or pair. ask for used tires as they may be more available.

seems like the 13 will be extinct with 16 and 17 inch wheels these days...

Well... I have 205/65 R 13" on my Yellow Wagon, and 195/70 R 13" on my White Wagon, (They´re Fatty Tyres, and they Really do better Performance on our Damaged, muddy & Very Curvy Roads) I use Chinese Tyres, they´re Cheaper and Very Very Good Tyres.

No one of my wagons have Stock Rims, They´re Chromed Steels, but still 13" X 6.5".

Yeah i know, it is hard to find some nice treddy 13's! But i never thought of going to a tire place. I looked at Sam's club and Wal-mart. But so far these Douglas tire are pretty good.

So i should have asked before i bought these! I could have got'en bigger.....

Thank's everyone!

Also I should make the point that standard 13" rims on the Subaru's are 5.5" wide.

You´re Right!!! ... I Forget to Say that I´ve Used on my subies 205/65 R13 since long long time ago, Meaning that I´ve those Performing Pretty Good on the Stock Rims Too, The only weird thing is that due to the Extra Wide of the Tyre, they seems to be a Li´l "Flat" or Low in Air Pressure, even when they´re Good, due to the Less Wider Base of the Rim.

I Never got any Problem with That, except since I use the New Steel Chromed Rims; ´cos the New ones are more "Central" Rims, they goes "Outside" of the car for an Inch, and Under Heavy Loads / Bad Roads, the Tyre sometimes "Touch" the fender of the Car...

No Problem So Far...