Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help please

-schmitty-

Well ....

There is the allied armament lift kit that will give you another 2 1/2 inches.

This will give you better apraoch and departure angles. The Larger tires ill give you mnore ground clearance.

If you go with larger tires, the rear wheelwell is going to need some trimming to allow for larger tires with the lift kit.

New struts, as the KYB GR2 are wonderful.

Skid plates.

nipper

i recently purchased a 96 legacy l awd and would like to make it off road worthy. my vehicle before the subi was a lifted f 150 and i would like to be able to atleast hang with all my buddies in their trucks. what should i do to make my car more off road worthy?

thanks

My stock Outback Sport can do stuff that is pretty amazing for a sport wagon. Subby are great in fire roads, dunes, shallow mud fields. It's really a rally car type terrain. Their ability gets marginal as terrains gets more extreme. Offroading a soob takes finesse and skill in picking out lines. What a lifted F150 can easily plow through will require a spotter and some fancy clutch/brake work to get through. Ultimately your soob will take you to amazing places as long as you are willing to bang it up.

Get the Leg and slap on some Outback struts w/a body lift and that will increase the performance.

i drive a 90 legacy wagon that has a few things done to it that were pretty cheap but very effective. first, put outback stuts in it. second, bigger tires. i am running 215/75-15's on mine, its a little snug, but after i get the outback springs in, it wont be too bad. anyway, right now im sitting at 11 inches at the bottom of the rear diff. pretty good for not spending much money, after the springs it will be 12"+ at the rear diff making it a go anywhere wagon...... well almost anywhere.... all you have to do is be creative......

Offroading a soob takes finesse and skill in picking out lines.

Ill second this.

Its all in picking your line, and (most) of the time, there are ways AROUND the obstacle in front of you.

I took a non-lifted brat with 13" tires places it should NEVER have gone.

(but I did)

I still take the same (but lifted) vehicle on the same trails. The difference?

*MUCH less worry about getting stuck!

I say larger (and more agressive) tires and some outback springs will do the trick. Hey, if youre hanging with a bunch of fullsize trucks, they should respect that youre wheeling with a wagon (takes guts) and they can always pull you out if you get stuck. Whats to lose?

its stick and my wallet is quite shallow

Troll around NASIOC or I-Club and look for Forester guys who are getting rid of their stock stuff and lowering their suspension. I found a guy w/Forester XT struts & springs that had less than 5k on them for 200.00

Craigslist is also your friend. I am getting a set of rins and tires from a forester for $250. they are 225/60/16 so they are a bit bigger than stock size. Hope they fit. It should be only 3/4 of an inch larger in diameter than my stock 205/55/16.

BW

BW

Howsabout a Limited Slip Differential? My choice would be the older clutch type. You should be able to swap the LSD guts into your stock rear diff.

Lose (or disconnect) the sway bars?

When you get to wheelin' it, notice that the rocker panels are fairly soft. Even a fairly mild high-centering can smoosh in the sheet metal areas under the doors.

If you want you can put a Dual Range Transmission in there(from the eariler models).That will give you a true 4x4 setup and you will sorta have lo range.Thats if you have the manual.if the have an auto there is a 'duty C" solinoid that you do something with(sorry the new subarus arnt my area of expertise)When you mess with the duty C it gives you full lock up.So 4x4.Run super swampers.Subarus actually do pretty damn well for what they are.One of the times I drove my wagon offroad I went down a trail that normally it takes a serious rig to go down.I had no problems.I didnt know it was a "hard" trail until I met up with someone later and they were like "holy siht are you the car that went down eagle creek!?I quess it was me because I was the only car-station wagon actually, for miles..Im rambling.