Ultimate Subaru Message Board

........ I am now tempted by an AWD Jaguar X-type in British Racing Green.

What do you all think?

Gil

Let's see now, Subaru's general reliability and dependablity vs Jaguar's propensity for breakdowns, problems and horrendous repair costs?

Well, if you've got the hots for a Jag, and are willing to accept it's liabilities, go for it. But always keep a Subie on hand for those times when the Jag is in the shop.

By the way, is "reliable British car" an oxymoron?;)

I must confess that I have lusted for an X Type Jag since it first came out. All the best old saloon styling cues with modern Ford inspired and engineered technology (well, it's better than Jag, at any rate), PLUS All Wheel Drive.

However, I do know better and have resisted. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...The Jag is a very nice looking car, with a smashing interior and very nice driving characteristics....but which Subaru would be afforded for the same money?

A 3.0 Legacy? That one meets the "Jagwaar" on all counts, except looks - which is personal anyway. Of course reliability is given in return.

So my friend calls me one day and asks if I can help "fix" his wife's 200x Jag....

Apparently with this model (V8) it's got somewhat of a design defficiency - if you don't drive it far enough or run the engine long enough, the fuel from the cold-enrichment will wash all the oil down the cylinder walls and the engine will lose all compression and can't be started.

No kidding.

So the fix? We had to pull each and every plug (coil over plug, and lots of cowling bits) and dump 2 ounces of oil down each cylinder to reseal the rings - then crank that sucker for like 10 minutes before it finally kicked over and then smoked for 20 minutes as it burned off the oil :eek:. Yep - that's the reccomended fix from the jag shop.

Who designs crap like this?? :confused:

So no - I wouldn't own one. Especially with their reputation - even on recent models, and the way they basically rebaged the Taurus with a Haldex AWD add on. Crap.

On the same jag that we had the sealing issue with it blew a rear wheel bearing around the same time - 36,000 miles on it. Nice interior - poorly designed mechanicals.

GD

New Wagon warms up faster than any car I have ever driven.

A plus! My old VR6 used to warm up after more than 20 minutes of winter driving!. Major Oil contamination issues. Still miss the oil temp gauge though.

Seems like the subaru is made for winter driving in the city.

Seems like the Jag isn't. Still 10/40 amsoil synthetic would probably last the winter in the jag.

Cheers!

No kidding.

So the fix? We had to pull each and every plug (coil over plug, and lots of cowling bits) and dump 2 ounces of oil down each cylinder to reseal the rings - then crank that sucker for like 10 minutes before it finally kicked over and then smoked for 20 minutes as it burned off the oil :eek:. Yep - that's the reccomended fix from the jag shop.

Who designs crap like this?? :confused:

So no - I wouldn't own one. Especially with their reputation - even on recent models, and the way they basically rebaged the Taurus with a Haldex AWD add on. Crap.

On the same jag that we had the sealing issue with it blew a rear wheel bearing around the same time - 36,000 miles on it. Nice interior - poorly designed mechanicals.

GD

I know a tech who is a huge Subaru guy who just recently transferred to a Jaguar dealership.

He said the X-Type is by far the biggest POS. He said those are the ones that keep him in business.

Oh, and Ford did NOT improve Jaguar. Jaguar is on just as thin of ice as it was before Ford bought them out.

I am amazed how of how many open minded responses were posted on this. As soon as I saw this thread I was expecting every post to be bash fest. I think that is the reason I like this forum so much. If you would have posted this at nasicrap.com (NASIOC) there would have been just a bunch of speds responding with negative answers completely unrelated to the question.

I know a tech who is a huge Subaru guy who just recently transferred to a Jaguar dealership.

He said the X-Type is by far the biggest POS. He said those are the ones that keep him in business.

Oh, and Ford did NOT improve Jaguar. Jaguar is on just as thin of ice as it was before Ford bought them out.

There is no way you compare current Jaguar to Lucas electronics Jaguar. I have a friend with a V12 jag. He bought the car not running. The ignition system would have taken $1200 to get just that prob corrected, so he wired up 2 GM ignition modules and made his own setup. You couldn't rely on a pre ford jag to make to the end of the block if your life depended on it.

You cant just go by the balance sheet.

Ford did improve jag, this is a well known fact amoung car enthusiests. They replaced all the lucas wiring and fixed the QA issues. There is a joke going around that Jag owners didint like fords fixes for jag, since they were lonley and never got to see there buddies at the dealership anymore.

They made Jag affordable at the base level. Jag had pretty decent sales.

Ford did realize the one mistake they made, which was sharing a platform with the Taurus, They started correcting this issue when they realized they have to sell Jag. In the long run they may keep Jag.

Jag is prbbly the best its ever been as far as reliabilty. Just ford can not afford a premire luxury car.

For the record Ford can't sell Volvo either. They recently aproached Volvo AB (i think its AB, the people who build trucks)) about buying Volvo BAck, and they said they werent interested.

nipper

By the way, is "reliable British car" an oxymoron?;)

YES!

Even in Great(!,?) Britain, Jaguar only sell 10% of BMW's sales. Reason, Jaguars are a pile of arse! No wonder Ford are trying to offload them, with no takers.

There's patriotism, and then there's plain stupidity.

i did say improve, not made them perfect :P

Besides a relaible british car just means it its reliable to get you to know your service department better.

hehehehe

Personally ild take mechanical issues over electric gremlins.

i would lease a jag if i could afford one.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/leaner-jaguar-is-ready-for-sale/2007/09/13/1189276900701.html

And your correct about the older ones being hobby cars. Either you rip out the entire under hood wiring, or you put in a GM small block to make the car dependable.

i still like the pre ford XKS, though it is geting a bit dated.

But then again im weird

nipper

The quality of the mechanics in Jaguars may have improved since Ford's aqusition but the quality of the finish has gone to ****. Fake wood plastic dashes, even the grille is chrome painted plastic not to mention the body panels. If I were to get a Jag, I would buy an 70s or 80s XJ6 and put a German straight six in it. The X type's are chinsey to say the least.

I work for Jaguar at the North American Headquarters in the parts distribution center, you couldn't give me a used X-type...the later years are a bit better but we still ship out TONS of parts for these everyday.

The new Jag XF is an amazing car though.

Nipper: Jag/Land Rover are being sold, the deal will be announced by the first quarter of 2008.

Hey guys my 3 Subaru Legacies have given excellent service, but being a Brit living in America, I am now tempted by an AWD Jaguar X-type in British Racing Green.

What do you all think?

Gil