Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's time to bring backthe justy ... or similar.

[...]Hey, SOA ... wake up!
SOA, please don't bring back the Justy, at least not as I remember it. My brother bought one, new, in the mid to late '80s, thinking it would be a decent daily driver. It was a 3-cylinder, manual trans model, and did get good gas mileage. Unfortunately, the thing never ran right in cool/damp weather (it was carbureted, and had all the symptoms of perpetual carb icing), stalling to the point of being dangerous. After several attempts to get the dealer to resolve the problem, he dumped it at low mileage for very little money.

I understand that in Europe, the Suzuki Swift was rebadged as a Justy in the '90s.

Since Subaru seems currently to be aiming for a higher-end market, I'd be very surprised if they ever offer a car like the Justy again, even as a rebadge.

The Justy is back! In Europe anyway....

The Justy still holds a world land speed record at the salt flats for the 1.0 Production Class.

Fuji Heavy Industries Introduces the New Subaru Justy in Europe

Frankfurt, September 11, 2007 – Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, announced that it will unveil its new Subaru Justy at the 62nd Frankfurt International Motor Show (IAA) and it will go on sale in Europe immediately following the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The new Justy is positioned as an entry-level car in Subaru’s lineup. While offering nimble maneuverability and cabin roominess, the new Justy boasts exceptional fuel economy and low emission levels, thanks to the compact 1.0-litre engine.

Two versions will be available in the European market: the sporty 1.0S, and the practical city-driving 1.0E. Both versions are front-wheel drive with 5MT. The new Justy will be supplied by Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd., under an original equipment manufacturing (OEM) agreement with FHI.

Subaru Justy 1.0S

Major Features of the New Justy

• Overall length 3,610mm, Overall width 1,665mm, Overall height 1,550mm

• 1.0-litre DOHC 12-valve inline 3-cylinder gasoline engine Max. output (DIN): 51 kW / 6,000 rpm Max. torque (DIN): 94 Nm / 3,600 rpm

• Front-wheel drive with 5MT

• 155/80R13 Tires with full wheel caps (1.0E) 175/65R14 Tires with aluminum alloy wheels (1.0S)

• SRS* front airbags and front side airbags (for driver and front passenger)

• SRS* curtain airbags (front and rear, both sides) (1.0S)

• Body colored electric door mirrors

• Chrome accented gearshift knob (1.0S)

• Manual seat lifter (driver’s seat only) (1.0S)

• ABS with EBD (Electronic brake force distribution)

* SRS: Supplemental Restraint System. Effective when used in conjunction with seatbelts.

About Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, is a leading manufacturer in Japan with a long history of technological innovations that dates back to its origin as an aircraft company. While the automotive business is a main business pillar, FHI’s Aerospace, Industrial Products and Eco Technologies divisions offer a diverse range of products from general-purpose engines, power generators, and sanitation trucks to small airplanes, crucial components for passenger aircrafts, and wind-powered electricity generating systems. Recognized internationally for its AWD (all-wheel drive) technology and Horizontally-Opposed engines in Subaru, FHI is also spearheading the development of environmentally friendly products and is committed to contributing to global environmental preservation.

Subaru-Justy-10s.JPG

Now here was a Justy:

http://www.driveperformancesubaru.com/version4_1/atticpart2.asp

Subaru-Justy-attic1.JPG

#440 Justy currently holds the land speed record for its class.

Traditionally the profit margin simply isn't there with a small car. And really, who wants one? There are quite a few Yaris cars here, they seem to come in waves, as in a bunch of folks buy them, burning them out in short order, moving onto something "real", as the dealer waits for the next crop of idiots, oh! sorry, buyers. There are a couple "riced" up too, can't leave those folks out, wanna race me in my Yaris?

We have "Smart" cars here, $22,000+. I told the wife I'd look pretty smart attempting a 1200 mile trip in one.

Small micro cars are like having small male equipment, maybe ok around home, but don't take it anywhere.

i saw a justy for sale on ebay recently, mid 80s i think, and the picture of the engine made it look like the engine was side ways. i've never seen one in person, but i was wondering if this was true?

i've thought of buying one for around town, but i'd never sell my outback, so how many miles would i have to drive to save enough money to offset the cost of ownership, taxes, insurance and registration? probably not worth it.

Small micro cars are like having small male equipment, maybe ok around home, but don't take it anywhere.

Strange point of view. I've always heard it was the other way around. "Little" guys overcompensating by buying larger then required vehicles.

Oh and Smarts actually start at $16,900.

i saw a justy for sale on ebay recently, mid 80s i think, and the picture of the engine made it look like the engine was side ways. i've never seen one in person, but i was wondering if this was true?

i've thought of buying one for around town, but i'd never sell my outback, so how many miles would i have to drive to save enough money to offset the cost of ownership, taxes, insurance and registration? probably not worth it.

Your not allowed to buy a justy till i buy one :P

They are tranverse engines. Actually pretty powerful for thier size, at 1hp per cu inch.

nipper

Traditionally the profit margin simply isn't there with a small car. And really, who wants one? There are quite a few Yaris cars here, they seem to come in waves, as in a bunch of folks buy them, burning them out in short order, moving onto something "real", as the dealer waits for the next crop of idiots, oh! sorry, buyers. There are a couple "riced" up too, can't leave those folks out, wanna race me in my Yaris?

We have "Smart" cars here, $22,000+. I told the wife I'd look pretty smart attempting a 1200 mile trip in one.

Don't say that to Andrew about his Justy... he'd drive it anywhere and back... with or without interior... I have seen it :) hmmm... come to think of it, he'd drive ANYTHING there and back... and enjoy every uncomfortable, white-knucked minute of the trip!

This forum should know that driving something a little smaller that gets the job done is always a smart idea. An outback will do the job being asked of it by most SUV owners most of the time and a Justy will do what you need of an Outback most of the time. It won't have 3 cigarette lighters, on board navigation, TV's in the headrests and knobby tires that will climb over any median in town but they wouldnt know how if it bit them in the butt.

It is astonishing to me how often I see somebody driving a V8 powered 4x4 SUV to work every day BY THEMSELVES and getting 12 MPG. They have enough cargo room for luggage for 12 and yet they have a THULE rack on the top(that they have no idea how to tie a decent enough Knot to get an XMAS tree home 3 miles away), a tire that isnt full of air(and their spare is flat too) and about the most heavy right foot you have ever seen. They seem to do everything in their power to waste gas and money. For what they spend in fuel in a year they could afford to buy a nice used economy car and whats more hilarious is that IT would have front wheel drive if not ALL WHEEL drive and wouldnt slide off the road as soon as it ices over....because they couldnt afford to put a decent set of tires on it because a decent set for their land yacht costs 6-700 dollars. What is worse they can't park it where they commute to and they laugh at people that ride their bike to work (if they aren't too busy running the bicyclist off the road because they are talking on their cell phone while shaving their face or legs and driving). Just because you have a boat you like to take to the lake on the weekends doesnt mean you have to drive what is capable of towing it every day.

I am astonished at the lack of knowledge of the Subarus being sold overseas with great success as well. Some really innovative cars that get great MPG. They might fail emissions requirements(barely even though they use half the fuel of a car that passed because it has 4 catalysts on it), or our at times idiotic crash safety standards(standards set because the typical car you might hit head on here is the size of a house) or are viewed by FHI and SOA as not a potential seller here because Americans are snobs. I have had neighbors that turned their noses down at my hatchbacks before but when there is 6" of snow on the ground and their 4x4 pickup won't get out of the driveway and my hatchback does they look away really fast embarassed at themselves but too ashamed to admit it.

I am tired of people talking about car accidents and commenting on how that "tiny piece of crap foreign car" crumpled and was totalled but the huge Ford that hit him looked completely drivable....they miss the big picture that the car that weighs 1500 pounds less protected the passenger area and that when you get hit by something that weighs 4000 pounds you don't want to drive that car again...if you are proud to be driving a car that has been in a major collision and lived you need to put that car up on a vehicle lift and look it over carefully. The thing is tweaked....OR YOU ARE. Let the car take the blow as its designed to and let it weigh less to save 10-30 Miles per gallon burned.

It is astonishing to me how often I see somebody driving a V8 powered 4x4 SUV to work every day BY THEMSELVES and getting 12 MPG. [...]Just because you have a boat you like to take to the lake on the weekends doesnt mean you have to drive what is capable of towing it every day.
You've accurately described several of my neighbors. Where I live, long gravel driveways are common, but these folks need to have theirs paved (another consumer of petroleum) because it's easier to plow (which they hire someone else with another 4x4 to do :rolleyes: ). These same people naturally complain about the interest they're paying on the massive debt they've run up. I still have a gravel driveway; if the snow isn't too deep, I just drive over it, and when I can't do that, I shovel it out (no need to burn more gas going to a "fitness club" :) ).

I am tired of people talking about car accidents and commenting on how that "tiny piece of crap foreign car" crumpled and was totalled but the huge Ford that hit him looked completely drivable....they miss the big picture that the car that weighs 1500 pounds less protected the passenger area[...]
What many people also fail to realize is that if both drivers had a "huge Ford", neither one would likely fare as well.

You've accurately described several of my neighbors. Where I live, long gravel driveways are common, but these folks need to have theirs paved (another consumer of petroleum) because it's easier to plow (which they hire someone else with another 4x4 to do :rolleyes: ). These same people naturally complain about the interest they're paying on the massive debt they've run up. I still have a gravel driveway; if the snow isn't too deep, I just drive over it, and when I can't do that, I shovel it out (no need to burn more gas going to a "fitness club" :) ).

What many people also fail to realize is that if both drivers had a "huge Ford", neither one would likely fare as well.

Oh sure you and your fancy shmancy gravel driveway.

Mine is grass and dirt.

Its alomost in style as a green driveway :P

bs2006612152251_2007719162649224-display.jpg

Subaru has a bunch of tiny cars that they don't sell in the US. Poke around at http://www.subaru.jp/ to see the R1, R2, Stella, Pleo and Sanbar.

Check out these little Subarus at a lot near me. (Vancouver) A little pricey but if you want a different (and very small) minivan....

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/BC/1991_Import_Mini_Vans/3132/65169536/1991_SUBARU_SAMBAR_32000kms_AWD_Gas.aspx

(not sure how to post a pic right now .... but I'll try....

http://www.buysell.com/root/Witts%20First%20Capital/BC5251123/309/Showroom_spg.htm

Check out these little Subarus at a lot near me. (Vancouver) A little pricey but if you want a different (and very small) minivan....

http://www.buysell.com/root/detail/BC/1991_Import_Mini_Vans/3132/65169536/1991_SUBARU_SAMBAR_32000kms_AWD_Gas.aspx

(not sure how to post a pic right now)

http://www.buysell.com/root/Witts%20First%20Capital/BC5251123/309/Showroom_spg.htm

ooooo i like the figero

nipper

(not sure how to post a pic right now)

Is it just me or does it seem to be needing a big VW emblem on the nose?

nipper