Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Counter Clockwise Speedometer

I test drove a cherry 2000 Outback Limited today and can you believe that the speedometer was pegged on the UNDERside and when I moved the car forward the speedo operated backwards! It would go from 120 (or whatever the highest mph reading is) travel backwards counterclockwise past 100, past 90 and stop at 80mph. When you stopped the needle would drop to the underside of the peg. Ever hear of THAT one???????

Fox

It's no wonder the car is "cherry" -- it's caught in a time warp. As you drive it, the odometer will show lower and lower mileage as the car's condition improves.

Eventually you'll have to bring it back to the original dealer and relinquish ownership of the car. The up side is that the dealer will pay you the original selling price.

(Unfortunately, you yourself won't get younger in the process.)

;):grin:

It's no wonder the car is "cherry"

that brings up a good point OB99W - when the speedo's start going out they don't properly increment the odometer, so the mileage is not correct. i noticed this in my XT6...i thought i was getting horrible gas mileage for 6 months or more....but really it was my speedometer cracking up - it wasn't moving the odometer as far as i was actually driving. if the needle is jumping around and not working, it's not rolling over the odometer - so this thing might not be as "low mileage" as you think. if that's the case you really don't know how close you are to the next maintenance interval either.

Hook a multimeter to the 2 leads of the Speed sensor (front right side of trans). Use long leads, so you can watch the multimeter in the car while driving. Set it on the AC volts scale, and drive a bit. Should show rising voltage with speed. If that checks out, the sender is good, and the Speedo "head", the actual speedometer in the dash, is bad.

I'm guessing that to be the case, I saw a nissan maxima with almost excactly the same issue.

No matter which way the water spirals (Coriolis not having an effect), I agree with Skip that if the contents could possibly go in the direction opposite of down the drain, I wouldn't want to be nearby. :)

Taking that into account, I would blindly trust you guys to be able to come in out of the rain. :clap:

Sorry, could'nt resist... :burnout:

No matter which way the water spirals (Coriolis not having an effect), I agree with Skip that if the contents could possibly go in the direction opposite of down the drain, I wouldn't want to be nearby. :)

it's called flush and run!!!

you need to take care of everything, i mean everything, before you pull the lever. if something goes wrong, you don't want to be any where near it when it does.

Do you have directional tires fitted? Maybe theyve been fitted incorrectly....

Other than that im out of ideas.

p.s Watch out - Hell hath no fury like christine - and a Subaru version of christine will be twice as evil.....leaking oil and blowing gaskets whilst killing innocent teens

The odometer is digital and seems to be registering the miles correctly....although I didn't check it against the mile posts on the highway....should have. I have to say, though, that the mileage checks out with Carfax. The car has been driven by others that didn't notice it so I THINK the problem just started.

Fox

Is the speedo elect? Don't they run backwards if connected 180 out?

The spedometer reads pulses from the computer. Also the connector on the back of the dash only goes on one way (but we all know a hammer can cure that).

The actual workings of the spedo head is what moves the needle, the logic board decides what the pulses mean.

nipper

He was stating if the wires were backwards, would the spedometer run backwards.

The VSS sesensors pick up a square wave from the final drive. that turns into a pulse which goes to the TCU. The TCU feeds that signal (a pulse) to the ECU and the spedo head. The electronics then do with the data what i needs to, in the case of the spedo, to move the needle and the odometer.

nipper

The VSS sesensors pick up a square wave from the final drive.

nipper

nipper

i knew the rear speed sensor was a square wave, because you've told me before and the sensor is simple, a magnet and a (reluctor?). but the front one is actually turned but a gear on the front carrier. i guess it could have the magnet and stuff inside the unit but i thought it might be different, just cause it looks different.

i don't know what it could be because i have not been told yet... but i just thought.....different must be different.

front speed sensor link

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5188&d=1187809499