Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to mount water temp sender?

Finally my gauge will move, but first I need to mount the sender. Where is the most accurate place to mount the Autometer sender? This is a turbo car, so knowing the exact running temperature is very important to me. I was thinking that the heater hose was ideal, but I'm not sure the temperature this hose will show will correlate to the overall engine temp. It has also been suggested to me that I mount the sender in place of the original temp sender. Could I leave that and "splice" into the location it reads, or would this pull the sender too far out of the coolant for a proper reading? I need advice.

I wouldn't "splice", (tee) into the original sensor location, as it would put both the stock and the new one out of the flow of coolant.

I have had good luck on some other makes of drill/tapping into the T-stat housing. You have to pay attention to the length of the sensors probe to make sure it doesn't interfer with the T-stat operation.

I know of people that have cut the upper radiator hose and put in a short section of tube with proper threaded port for the sender.

Don't know if it would be the best idea, but there's the drain plug on the bottom of the head. One could possibly re-tap those threads for the sensor. (Don't think that would be possible on a Turbo motor though, I don't have a Turbo engine here, but believe that's where the coolant return line attaches).

Dead right, the thermostat housing is the best place, l did mine nearly 2 years ago but had to make an adapter plug, as most are a/f. if your thermostat housing is the type with the bung at the front, drill and tap this, l've done this also and it works fine, my Brat runs 2 temp guages, the original and an aftermarket guage to keep it honest, but again, make real sure it's away from the operation area of the thermostat. l must say though, my standard temp guage is pretty accurate and pretty much mirrors the new one. l can post pics if you like.

I wouldn't "splice", (tee) into the original sensor location, as it would put both the stock and the new one out of the flow of coolant.

I have had good luck on some other makes of drill/tapping into the T-stat housing. You have to pay attention to the length of the sensors probe to make sure it doesn't interfer with the T-stat operation.

I know of people that have cut the upper radiator hose and put in a short section of tube with proper threaded port for the sender.

Don't know if it would be the best idea, but there's the drain plug on the bottom of the head. One could possibly re-tap those threads for the sensor. (Don't think that would be possible on a Turbo motor though, I don't have a Turbo engine here, but believe that's where the coolant return line attaches).

I guess we guess what engine this is.

EA82Ts and EA81Ts are quite different last time I

checked.

Is drilling and tapping out of the equation?

How about the oil temp?

I was worried about both in my EA82T build.

I put an over temp alarm in the coolant

(set it at 215 deg F)

and

used my aftermarket gauge for the oil temp.

(drilled and tapped the oil pan drain plug.)

I guess we guess what engine this is.

EA82Ts and EA81Ts are quite different last time I

checked.

Is drilling and tapping out of the equation?

EA81T. I'm not going to spend even a dime, tuning an EA82.

Drilling an tapping is not out of the question, but since this is my DD, any work like that would require spare parts to work on, or the resusitation of one of my other vehicles while the wagon goes under the knife.

What about the upper heater hose? Any objections or observations there?

Ok, IMO you have a few options. Your best bet is to tap/use an existing hole. Not sure how an ea81T is, but you COULD use the existing hole for oem temp sensor. You always want to go between the eng and T-stat. The other option is to cut the upper hose and go to a speed/ rice shop and get a temp sensor adaptor (like $30). Check to see if your sensor needs to be grounded or it won't work, mine did. this way you still have both sensors. The one in the upper hose will raise and lower as the t-stat opens but is still accurate, it really doesn't fluctuate too much, but it shows you 2 things. how far off you stock guage is and what temp you T-stat is opening. Hope this helps.

Jess

Oops forgot to say, I am currently running both oem and upper rad hose sensors, works great.

They make diff adaptors for diff size rad hoses. If ya can't find an adaptor. They sell them down here at the rice shop. I could mail one too ya...

P.S. I stayed up till 130 looking for those caps. Ill find them I promise!

l have 2 types of manifold, one with this bung, one without.

lf your not already doing so a high flow thermostat is a must have if your serious about temp control. Down here it gets pretty hot so l run a 170deg type, and 2 thermo fans, a 12 inch constantly and the 2nd, (the one Subaru fitted), through a relay to a switch. This one l only ever really turn on in traffic or 40deg days and keeps operating temps standard and stable, my temp needles don't move past where there meant to be. l have assumed you are also running a water cooled turbo. cheers.

2001.jpg

2002.jpg

I would use one of these type of adapters on your radiator hose: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=water+temp+hose&category0=

I haven't personally ran one these... however I do have a couple buddies that have them, and they work great.

Yup the 2nd one down is the one im running. Works like a champ (when grounded)

l have 2 types of manifold, one with this bung, one without.

lf your not already doing so a high flow thermostat is a must have if your serious about temp control. Down here it gets pretty hot so l run a 170deg type, and 2 thermo fans, a 12 inch constantly and the 2nd, (the one Subaru fitted), through a relay to a switch. This one l only ever really turn on in traffic or 40deg days and keeps operating temps standard and stable, my temp needles don't move past where there meant to be. l have assumed you are also running a water cooled turbo. cheers.

I'm running an OEM thermostat (not sure what temperature), twin-OEM electric fans and a water cooled factory turbo. I don't think I need a fan running constantly this far North, but I would like to put one of them on a switch.

My only concern is, what sensor am I removing to be replaced by the new one? I'd like to keep the stock sender for comparisons sake, but at the same time, I want to get the most accurate data.

Yup the 2nd one down is the one im running. Works like a champ (when grounded)

Thats in your upper radiator hose, correct? Didn't you have yours mounted somewhere else too?

I put mine in the original sensor's place and then put the original guage in the radiator, however, the dash guage doesn't get very high on the scale cause it's practicly on the bottom of the radiator. :-( Mine runs between 195 and 205 with normal driving and up to 230 when I'm practicing my drifting in the dirt; yes, I back off and point the nose into the wind and let it drop back down again. Doesn't take very long, which is good.:burnout:

I also added an oil cooler and a temp guage on that also - sits about 190 with normal driving and I've seen it as high as 230 when the h2o guage hits the peg of I think 240.:eek: I blew both head gaskets the last time I let my engine get that hot. ;)