Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Amazing find - Huge Disapointment!!! PICS

Whats up Subaru freaks!!!

Well I came along something I have been looking for, for a long time. A little old man in my town that used to sell AMC's closed up his property and shut down shop around the late 80's. Pretty much everything that was there when he closed the shop is still sitting there today. I fortunatly got to oppertunity to pass through the gates and got to check out inside what very few in town only get to see when passing by his gates.

I was walking through his lot searching for a subaru and had a gut feeling that there was an old 70's model sitting somewhere. I could not find anything myself. I asked the old man if he knew if he had any roo's on his lot. He first brought me by an '80 something yellow GL wagon. 22.JPG

I was hopeing this was not all and then we moved a little farther back in his lot and found another mid '80 blue sedan.

18.JPG

Yep tons of vines and branched all over the place. I turned around and there sitting among a ton more weeds sat a sad '70 model Coupe caked with cancerous rust.

12.JPG

16.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

17.JPG

So disapointing! Most of the the body and frame was rusted out from underneath it, but it looked like the motor was still intact.

The old man said that he had a few more subarus amongst the weeds and vines. We searched but couldnt find them for a while until I cought a glimps of the rear C pillar chrome vent shining through thick trees growing up around the sides. It was another 70' coupe.

1.JPG

2.JPG

9.JPG

5.JPG

8.JPG

Again Cancer, rear end and front end damage :(

As I was looking over this car I again sighted yet another 70' model coupe completely engulfed in veins. The body didnt look as bad but still needed tons of body work to fix the cancerous spots.:(

6.JPG

7.JPG

I couldnt belive it 3 coupes in one place but not a single one that would be even close to a chance for restoration. I still cant belive it!!! The old man said that if i could get the cars out from behind the trees and 20 rusted old cars in their way then they would be mine. What luck! I felt like I was being taunted!

Anywho... :-\ Mabe another day!

Yep thats rust in the roof and just about everywhere else on this car. I was thinking about pulling as much out of these cars as possible that is good and try to resell what I can.

It is such a pitty seeing all of the great cars go to waste. The old man has well over 200 cars that ran and were just parked there to rust away.

what is the white car in the background of the first pic of the yellow subaru?

what other cars besides the subarus that you saw stand out in your memory?

weeds and rust and all, places like that are a goldmine and sure spark a lot of junkyard memories for me.

i could be buried in a place like that.

thanks, Bill

Looks like what you need is a 1000' long extension cord and a sawszall. Start with the trees and make a path to get em out, then move on to chopping pieces off the cars. A rusty mess should at least cut fairly easily.

Sawsall? 2 Chainsaws will do the trick!:headbang:

I will look through my pic and see If can name any of the cars. Some where pretty rare classic's! I am going to see If he will let me have a go with the emblems. If I can find a place for them I will move them off his lot but .... there is tons of work and old cars all around them. I would love to see the yellow coupe be in really good condition, at least in restorable condition. There might be enough parts off of all 3 cars to make at least one that is in semi-decent condition. I am glad I bought a welder!

So what motor should I drop in the coupe? I was thinking full restoration with all numbers matching ish. If that means I need to cut off number from one and weld them on the other then thats what will happen.

I hate to see once great cars being treated like that. Makes me sad. But a bit off topic..any old school AMC muscle? Javelins,AMX's, Gremlin X's, Scramblers, or rebel machines? Just curious. Anything restorable or is it all rusted hunks of crap now?

I hate to see once great cars being treated like that. Makes me sad. But a bit off topic..any old school AMC muscle? Javelins,AMX's, Gremlin X's, Scramblers, or rebel machines? Just curious. Anything restorable or is it all rusted hunks of crap now?

I'd love a Jav or an AMX!!!

I was <---> close to buying a 70 AMX with the 390 a few years ago....but sadly it fell through.

I say tow um all, and keep them all!! You could have a nice little rust museum!

Just about any AMC made he has about 5 min of each. Most of them are in complete restorable condition. about 10 javelins and about 5 AMX's, Tons more! If I had the space and money and time I would pull anything he would let me!

Just about any AMC made he has about 5 min of each. Most of them are in complete restorable condition. about 10 javelins and about 5 AMX's, Tons more! If I had the space and money and time I would pull anything he would let me!

Man that is a virtual gold mine for real.

I know!!!

I think he should drag us out a couple of 70 AMX's. I'll take the mightnight perl!!

MMMM 390cid, 4 speed hurst lightning shifter, two seats of pure joy!!

I gotta take a cold shower now, gas prices are way to high!!

HAHAHA ..But I only have enough room in the garage for my Lil Blue One :banana::banana: ( the 83 GL-10 coupe more :slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber: there)

My neighbor .back a few years had a white AMX and everytime he would start it..it would give you goosebumps..Beautiful car..beautiful sound

I was thinking about pulling as much out of these cars as possible that is good and try to resell what I can.

Good luck. I own a '73 Coupe

Would pay for some parts.

Contact me if you actually make some moves on these.

From first sight these look good for me:

From orange coupe pictured first:

Grill and/or the "Subaru" badge on the grill.

Front bumper if straight

Chrome window trim if not pitted.

Rear windshield glass

White Coupe: (looks to be a '74 or '75)

Driver's side mirror

Seats **** Even if you just got the white center portions with the little "star" pattern in it. But it most be 100%

Third coupe looks rough,but see what the interior looks like,please.

I'm not rich but I do take care of people for their efforts.

Nice part of NC you're in. :headbang: Might be down to the VIR track later this year which is right on the NC border. By that time the weeds should have the cars covered,so let me know if you can help me out.

If you do try to make one of those a runner I can help you out with engines,etc.. Would be fun to make a sleeper out of one of them.

WOW um sorry to bring this thread further off topic but are any of the Javelins/AMXs rust free or nearly rust free? Preferably 4 speed? And do you have any idea how much he would be selling such a car for. I would really love a 4 speed Javelin (71-2) or a 2 seat AMX with a 4 speed.