Ultimate Subaru Message Board

t-belt cover what if..... continues

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7890&highlight=cover

"since I know a lot of people on the board have EA82s, and since we all know that the timing covers SUCK, what if someone (like myself) started to make them out of aluminum? If I did, who would buy them? Just tryin to figure out if it would be worth it " Caboobaroo

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for not responding sooner guys. I have had no time to really start BUT I have a basic drawing of both sides and so my next step is to put it into a computer. Unfortunalty with school, work, and trying to get my wagon back on the road, its not a priority on my list right now. Maybe when I finally get some free time I can really get started. But for now........yeah, school is my major concern. Kinda wanna get it out of my way:rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

well lets see.... right now if you replace all the T-belt cover pieces it would

cost you about 85.00 and another 18.00 for the dumb gaskets so we're looking

at somewhere around 115.00 with the tax. I really would like a replacement aluminium set and if done right they wouldn't even need gaskets because they can "piece meet piece" fitted. Wooohooooo let me know how you're doing with it. This conversation took place some other place too but it was a proposal to make a two piece plastic set. Nothing became of that or at least that I'm aware of.

I'd like a set of cast ones...but I could see aluminum potentially having the same problem as the plastic ones. You could cut threads right into the aluminum, but I have striped out my fair share of aluminum threads. Would steel (stainless steel?) inserts work better in the aluminum then they do in the plastic? I'd sure hope so...Could always use Heli coils too, I guess.

RedLance

What ever happend to tossing them in the garbage? :) Plenty of ppl have ran with out them. I only have the back ones on right now and the one middle front one. Belts and cams are fully exposed on both sides in the front. Do lots of offroading and playing around. Timing belts are clean as can be; everything tends to just fling off them :) Next time I have that junk apart I'm just gonna rip them all off. THey are ruined anyway and just a head ache to reinstall.

chuck the covers and make some nice billet pulleys, maybe with some offset for cam timing.

I was just thinking about cam timing adjustment pins today :) Delta Cams can even custom make some up; didnt ask how much extra that would have been.

I know someone has already done them 3 degrees advance at the cam. Said the low end was real mean but she ran hotter also. Wish I remember who did it... Maybe a search will reveal this.

You guys are making me think(dangerous:lol: ) I'm a CNC programmer at a small machine shop, and we're always looking for some widget we can make and sell. I'll look into it and see if it would be realistic to machine them(covers) and sell at a decent price. I'd love to have a set of my own, so would be willing to absorb all the cost of programming and tooling up myself. May take awhile to get it going here, but stay tuned.

Mine are totally nude. Been thru everything...the ONLY reason a belt came off....loose bolts on one of the cam pully/sprocket/gear/thingy. If i had covers, the 5 mins job it took to replace the thingy and put it back in time would have been....wow, probably 1 hr or more. If i wasnt a SUBARU nut...a tow to the dealer! LOL