Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T theoretical power?

He is right.

The limits are endless. If you could solve ALL the problems the EA82T had, or would have, you could make 1000hp out of it.

However that would cost ALOT of money.

Lets try to get alittle more realistic though. 190, maybe 200hp would be the limits. But if you wanted a reliable EA82T then maybe around 150ish.

-Brian

with as few important internal replacement parts out there as there are, it's gonna be tough to get 'er above 200hp at the crank even using a larger turbocharger like a TD04. these soob engines are just as, if not more, reliable than a straight 4 honda, but for one reason or another, the boxer platform just won't handle the revs as well.

but if you really wanna know . . . from the bottom up:

put in an oil pan with "sections" so that the oil won't slosh away from the p/u, have the rod balanced, get custom main bearings, con-rods, go with standard ea82 pistons for high compression, put rings into the block around each cylinder (as someone here has done), metal headgaskets, re-do head stud holes to accept an aftermarket head stud (nobody "builds" sets with the correct size and pitch of thread to just "bolt on" to an EA82), port out the valves a bit to improve airflow (just 2 valves per, not the greatest setup in the world for power) replace valvesprings with titanium springs (makes it harder to float the valves), coat all engine internals with one of the cool new products that help it with cooling and friction, greatly improve water and oil cooling in the engine with front mount intercooler, larger (dual core) radiator, external oil cooler, convert fuel rail to dual rail setup so that you don't starve that last cylinder and go bang, constant high output fuel pump, complete standalone fuel management system and boost controller . . . lets see, what am i forgetting . . . (?) maybe something like a NGK ignition system (incl coil/cap/rotor/wires)

all of that and you'll be at 200hp at the wheels . . . maybe a bit more

**edit** oh yeah, you'll need the spider intake manifold (or something custom built to get better flow into the heads) and at least 300cc injectors with a 5th on the t.b. just so you don't accidently run lean

According to WJM, who got this info from subaru techs, with the stock bottom end, but with forged pistons the limit is at around 300chp. At these numbers you are at the very edge of the capabilities of this engine

If you want a slightly more reliable engine, 250chp seems the limit.

The HGs are not that bad if you overtorque them and use proper gaskets. Upgraded fueling and cooling are the biggest concerns for the EA engines.

According to WJM, who got this info from subaru techs, with the stock bottom end, but with forged pistons the limit is at around 300chp. At these numbers you are at the very edge of the capabilities of this engine

If you want a slightly more reliable engine, 250chp seems the limit.

The HGs are not that bad if you overtorque them and use proper gaskets. Upgraded fueling and cooling are the biggest concerns for the EA engines.

Thank you Joostvdw, that's the kind of info I was hoping to get. :headbang:

A wise man once told me:

"There is no replacement for displacement"

At the end of the day, no matter what you do to it, the EA82 is still 1800cc.

i don't know, the 4G63 mitsu engine keeps on stompin cars with 4X it's displacement, but it's built like a friggin tank engine from the facory on the bottom end, so you can boost the poo out of it without it going bang - up over 1000hp to the wheels dyno'd by a few magazines . . . you can't even get a viper 7.3liter above that without major work and forced induction . . .

with all due respect there is absolutely no way on this green earth you will get even 250chp on "the stock bottom end with forged pistons" the oil supply isn't there, the bearings will seize and the connecting rods will crumble . . .and thats just the start . . . it'd be really fun to watch though . . .

you're talking about a 150+ hp gain from stock on a 100 hp engine. :eek:

thanks for the useless response... I really appreciate it...

REALLY.................stop for a minute and *think* how absolutely *STUPID* the question is.

You can get any amount of power out of anything, with excessive amounts of money, and IF you are prepared to put up with the reliability of a Yugo.

REALLY.................stop for a minute and *think* how absolutely *STUPID* the question is.

You can get any amount of power out of anything, with excessive amounts of money, and IF you are prepared to put up with the reliability of a Yugo.

If ya think it's a stupid question then don't even bother replying... or ask for more parameters instead of just shooting out a post that doesn't help at all... *I apologize if this is abrasive or rude, I'm in a crap mood and just needed some ballpark numbers... thanks to those who have given that.

incorrect, this is saying you could get 500hp out of an egg if you had the $$, there are laws of physics that even money cant get you beyond . . .
actually this would be easier than what the OP is trying to ask. cook the egg and eat it, then spend the unlimited money on a "motor swap" - whatever motor you wanted.

with all due respect there is absolutely no way on this green earth you will get even 250chp on "the stock bottom end with forged pistons" the oil supply isn't there, the bearings will seize and the connecting rods will crumble . . .and thats just the start . . . it'd be really fun to watch though . . .

you're talking about a 150+ hp gain from stock on a 100 hp engine. :eek:

It's not a 100hp engine, in europe they have 136hp stock and mine is well over 140hp without IC and very reliable. So getting up to 250hp is not that hard with proper fueling and bigger turbo with associated piping.

I do not recall his board name, but search for a topic where someone used Greddy e-manage ultimate. He got to 220chp reliable. Also, stock bottom end says something about the crank and conrods, nothing about oil pumps or other accesories.

The 300chp figure comes from subaru techs working on EA82T rally engines, people who have all the money and supplies we can only dream of. I'm sure they can achieve quite a bit more than that what you and me can.

My last dyno run a refreshed engine, no mods but add ons, was 130chp est. I had 100whp. Nothing but a MSD coil, K&N drop in air filter and 2.5in exhaust back. If I had the $ for all new hi-po parts, I dont see why those numbers couldnt be reached. But if I wanted that kind of power in my car, I would just do a engine swap :cool:

I have a few new upgrades now and need to get it back on the dyno.

But I'm done with the upgrades.

So I'm bored, and going to ask the question that keeps coming into my head:

Why? Why dump the money into an EA82. Don't get me wrong, they're good motors, but just not all that powerful and IMO, not worth dumping the necessary money into. So, why?

So I'm bored, and going to ask the question that keeps coming into my head:

Why? Why dump the money into an EA82. Don't get me wrong, they're good motors, but just not all that powerful and IMO, not worth dumping the necessary money into. So, why?

The same exact reason why people spend thousands on MG mini's, peugeot 205's, Opel astra's, or whatever crappy car you can think of. There are lots of people spending bucket loads of money on old V8s with stone-age technology (pushrods in '08? "hemis" are special?). And there is NO proper reasoning behind it.

Why would I spend the money on it? Because I would rather have a home-built, quirky, unreliable engine which is nothing like the rest on the road. Then the next EJ engined subaru. There is no glory or no satisfaction in just plugging in an EJ engine. Yes it's the most sensible option, Yes it gives you more power (and no it's not as simple as I make it sound) but it doesn't FEEL good. And when you are passionate about your car, that's all that matters. Feeling good.

OH yess, it feels good alright. After suffering with the SPFI for as long as I did, the first rolling burnout I did with my EJ felt really good. Then came RWD, and LSD diff and multiple sets of tires gone up it felt awesome. The transmissions, diffs, axles, driveshafts and clutches didn't feel so good though, but it was a lot of fun.

I have an EA82t. It's an 86 T-wagon, and I plan on having a lot of fun with it before it blows. But when it does, I have a EJ25, or an EZ30 and a variety of turbos, superchargers, and intercoolers in the shed to make it rip. Sure, there's pride in squeezing every last hampster out of an engine, but the pleasure of driving a car that truely ripps outweighs that.

This thread is kinda dumb... I mean, if you could solve all those problems you could have as much horsepower as you wanted. Imagine if you forged a new closed deck block....

Anyway for reference... There is a arguement on displacement....

Im not gonna use facts... but Ill point out the Pikes Peak Celica has been running a 2.1L Straight 4 with over 900Horsepower in repeated hill climb events. You could also go do some research on group B rally cars. If you can build the block to handle the pressure, a small engine can reach massive numbers.

exactly. that what ive been saying all along.

as far as making power with the ea82, i tihnk wjm had a fairly powerful engine in his rx for while. granted, i think it did go pop, but it was run hard and used in racing i think.. if i remember, his engine was over200 hp.

The same exact reason why people spend thousands on MG mini's, peugeot 205's, Opel astra's, or whatever crappy car you can think of. There are lots of people spending bucket loads of money on old V8s with stone-age technology (pushrods in '08? "hemis" are special?). And there is NO proper reasoning behind it.

Why would I spend the money on it? Because I would rather have a home-built, quirky, unreliable engine which is nothing like the rest on the road. Then the next EJ engined subaru. There is no glory or no satisfaction in just plugging in an EJ engine. Yes it's the most sensible option, Yes it gives you more power (and no it's not as simple as I make it sound) but it doesn't FEEL good. And when you are passionate about your car, that's all that matters. Feeling good.

The same exact reason why people spend thousands on MG mini's, peugeot 205's, Opel astra's, or whatever crappy car you can think of. . . And when you are passionate about your car, that's all that matters. Feeling good.

believe me, i've already climbed this hill . . . couldn't agree with the philosophy more . . . (my thread from last month)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86346&highlight=the+answer

just don't think you have the numbers quite right . . . no big deal. :headbang:

chris

I agree at feeling good.

but I also have a soft spot for Imprezas and EJ turbos.

to me I think it's be cool to get all you can out of the EA82t.

but I really wouldn't call it worth spending too much money on.

people said the same thing about 240sx truck motor KA24s as well but it turned out that those had just as much if not more capability

my bottom line.

I am buying an EJ25 SOHC 170 some odd HP motor for 250

when you get the EA82 to 170 crank HP dependably tell me how much it cost you.

I am guessing 500 bucks spent on the swap (if I keep it FWD probably won't)

then I mod it.