Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wats your mpg old soobs?

Some time ago, I Took my White Wagon to a Nice Road Trip, from San Pedro Sula City, to Tegucigalpa City, I Filled Up the Tank with Regular Fuel to the Very Top, reseted the Mile Counter at the Dash to Zero and... Drived Alone! (The Car was Light Weighted) and I Was Driving very Slow due to Heavy Traffic (is the Panamerican Road) so I Hardly reached the Speed of 45 Miles per Hour...

Then, when I Arrived, I Went Inmediately to a Gas Station and Refilled the Tank with Regular Again. and done the Math, calculating Fuel & Mileage.

This are Some Characteristics of my White Wagon:

Subaru Loyale 1985 Wagon EA82 with 32/36 Weber Carb, FreeFlow Exhaust (Means no "Y" Pipe Filter, Cathalitic Converter, etc...), Faster Vacuum Advance at the disty, NGK BPR6EY11 Spark Plugs, Accel Hi-Vibration Coil, No Thermostat on Cooling System with Double Row "Made in Honduras" Huge Radiator, and Lots of other Minor Changes... With Over 270,000 Miles and Counting, and 205/60 ZR 13" Tires... etc. My Subie Did:

Total Distance: Around 170 Miles. The Subie did around 36 Miles per Gallon (around 57 Kilometers per Gallon) in "Highway" ... That Road is Plenty of Up & Down Hills, Potholes, Many Curves, etc...

The Other Face: The Trip Back with the Subie Fully Loaded (5 People Counting Me + Luggages) and "Running" at around 55 MPH Cruise Speed (by Night Time the Road has Much Less Traffic): The Subie did around 28 Miles per Gallon (around 44.5 Kilometers per Gallon) in that "Highway" ...

In the City, it Does an Average between 24 «to» 27 Miles per Gallon... Depends on Traffic.

I`ve Never Measured the Yellow Wagon Yet... :burnout:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My EJ swapped wagon gets 25mpg calculated doing commuting. Get's 29 on the highway. That's beating the bag out of it too. I go through transmissions every 6 mo's and axles twice as fast as that.

EJ22 that has about a billion stop and go miles on it, it was a rural route mail delivery legacy.

My EJ swapped wagon gets 25mpg calculated doing commuting. Get's 29 on the highway. That's beating the bag out of it too. I go through transmissions every 6 mo's and axles twice as fast as that.

EJ22 that has about a billion stop and go miles on it, it was a rural route mail delivery legacy.

Was it right hand drive? I met someone with one a few months back.

Daniel

87 GL, D/R, Carbed, Hitachi, 14" Nissan Wheels, EA82. I get around 26 MPG on the hiway, 23 to 24 in town. I don't care. I love the way it drives. It is much better on the road now that the 14" wheels are on it. It rides 100% smoother.

I will be replacing the engine soon, the one that is in it is tired. I have an EA81 that is in good shape that will be going in it, at least until I get the EA82 rebuilt. If it gets better milage, it might stay.

Okay I just did a road trip from Portland to Kfalls and back in my 84 wagon. I held 70mph on I-5 except when the driver in front of me was going slower. Over highway 58 i held it between 50mph and 60mph because of the speed traps through there and face it, an EA81 doesn't pull the hills in 4th at above 3000 feet. Then I kept it at 65mph going down highway 97 except when I got stuck behind a truck. I got 28.5mph on the trip down. I drove basically the same way on the trip back and got 29.5mpg. I wish had cruse control, to see what kind of mileage I would get.

When I commute in this Subaru; i get around 25mpg

cruise control is an okay tool... the truth is you will get better mileage out of a pulse and glide scenario.... pulse to 75 then neutral glide down to say 45 (or the slowest you feel safe with) then pulse to 75 again.. this really does help..

that along with extra high tire pressures (I run 50 psi in the thirteens) makes for a rough ride... but my glides are much longer with over inflated tires. the XT's low CD makes it one of the best pulse and glide cars.

(I didn't hypermile the Dragon trip, either)

89 RX, 2600lbs+/-, 175 60r 13's, EA82T W/ Intake and Cat-back exhaust. 47K miles on the engine.

On Premium: 22-26 MPG.

On Regular: 25-28 MPG.

On ARCO/BP: 20-25 MPG.

On Premium+OctaneBooster+Injector: 33 MPG!!! (Just did this two weeks ago.)

I just put 15 gallons in my GL and I went 300 miles, My kids had to push me the last 20 feet to the station. I think there were 3 cars with people there that knew me. I have been training 2 teenagers to drive a 5 speed every day for the last week, starting on hill, conking out , rev it, dump clutch, Bark tires. roll 10 feet, stop .. repeat. We end the lesson when I can't take it anymore, I also had a plug wire not plugged in and still go 20 mpg, What a car, I feel bad for it. Cheers. SC