Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wats your mpg old soobs?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

86 brat, high topper

when i boufht the brat the seller told me the valve lash has been adjusted.

so you guys in the hi-mileage ea81's should consider the valve lash to get that last bit of mpg out of your old soobs

There's no adjustment on an 86 Brat engine as it would be a hydro lifter engine. So either he's full of crap or the engine is a replacement.

GD

Easy 25-26 mpg; a/c on and combined hwy/city driving on my 87 Brat after recent tune up and OEM thermostat install. This is @2-3 mpg better than I was getting with my 180 deg non OEM thermostat, albeit prior to recent tuneup. I think the thermostat made the largest difference. I have the stock Hitachi carb.......

'86 GL 2WD wagon with SPFI, 5 spd - 174K on the clock

70K engine from e-bay recently installed. Running 175X65X13 tires

Last trip to Virginia to Pennsylvania & back - 35.10 MPG

I can get 35 MPG as long as I stay under 3K on the tach (about 61 MPH)

Using the cruise control helps MPG on the highway, I think.

Getting 28 & 29 around town, driving gently, shifting at 2800 RPM

I'm considering switching to 155X80X13 tires for better MPG

Tire size & tread may have a greater impact on MPG than we think.

And take the crossbars off the roofrack. Make the exterior as slick as possible. Take Thule & Yakima racks off when not in use.

I really believe we would all be able to get better MPG if our fuel were all gasoline & not 10% ethanol. Alcohol just doesn't have the 'kick' gasoline has. I've also noticed a drop in the MPG on my other vehichles since ethanol was introduced.

2wd makes quite the difference, I see.

Here's my wall of poor milage:

86 GL wagon 227k miles weber 32/36 5sp d/r 4wd with WOT driving: average of 20

88 XT6 4spd auto 4WD 37k miles: 25ish

non soob comparison: 95 Sportage 120k miles 2L 5sp 4wd offroad tires: Consistent 24mpg

I wanna try the no faster than 60 on a few tanks just to see how the three do. Will it happen?......... The wedge: probably, the Sportage: maybe, the wagon: most likely not. I'm adicted to the ea82 sound at full throttle too much.:-\

I just got 28 in my sub from Seattle back to Pullman. There is a great tail wind across Washington. Though I got 25 the other way with 2 bikes on back and full to the top with gear and 3 passengers.

86 gl-10 Turbo wagon

170,000 / 20,000 since rebuild

don't know what condition the tranny is in but the front differential gears have always made that gearing sound usually heard in old pickups when in 4x4. I think the biggest difference in mpg came after I changed both diffs oil, removed the water pump fan, leaned out the maf sensor as it was a rebuilt and was always pig rich before, and finally ran some injector cleaner for a tank.

note: I drove 65+ most of the way. I really don't think speed has as much to do with mpg as does stopping and starting. That is what I have found anyway. In town I'll be averaging around 23.

my carbed 87 gl wagon gets a pretty even 32 every time i fill it up so far

Do you know what jets you are using (if it is a weber)?

My 86 gets *gulp* 15-17ish. :mad: Changed jets, changed choke to manual, still crap mileage.

My 86 gets *gulp* 15-17ish. :mad: Changed jets, changed choke to manual, still crap mileage.

Mains should be 140/140. Primary idle can be anywhere from 50/55/60. Secondary idle doesnt really do much so you can leave that at 50.

My subaru, with a weber carb, straight pipe exhaust, and 5 speed 2wd averages 28 or better. If its all highway im averaging around 29-30. It needs a tune-up.

That's what my wagon gets doing doughnuts at WOT in my "sandbox". Course, that's beyond redline, 4lo, 1st gear and WEEEEEEEE:burnout: I've got stock jets in my weber, but it runs a wee rich cause I'm at 4600ft elevation. When I went to wcss9, there were parts of california where I was really down on power and running quite rich cause we were at 6000+ elevation. BUT, I still got 30+mpg humming along at 60-70.:clap:

Mine sucks for some reason. Less than 20 mpg. OH the shame! Don't look at me.

I put in a JDM engine and every time I fill up it seems to get better. I am up to about 270 mile per tank. Next time it will be 275 or 280. Any one know whats up with that? I have tried all the regular stuff: O2 sensor, plugs, wires, driving slow...

Fuel injectors? Computer? For you guru's, since early 87's did not have computers, can I unplug mine?

87 GL-10 4WD Turbo Wagon 5 speed, no granny, not AWD, only mod is ground strap mod and that was yesterday, new friggin MAF sensor that cost $300 (unreal) several months ago.

in my 73 1400 GSR i got 33MPG thats from auckland to chch over 1,077 km of driving. would had got better milage if i didnt get crap gas at 3 different service stations. and also got stuck in auckland traffic. and bad weather with heavy rain and strong wind

an few times i got up to 90 to 95ish mph in the middle of no where

The justy got 31mpg on the first tank... not so good. But, I think it's running rich the entire time because the computer temperature sensor was bad. We'll see if replacing that helps any.

Could also be because I drive kind of fast... but I do that on the old GL wagon and get 28 or 29 in the summer.

Z

• 5 weeks later...

I just did a 800 mile round trip road trip with my lifted wagon.. averaged like 21 mpg but it got drove hard. 4th gear wide open the entire way. pulled rear cv's on the way back to see if mileage went up. Lol it actually went down because the rear end wasnt dragging ( bad watersoaked bearings), let me rev higher and go faster

Hey there:

My brat after the ej swap is getting an indicated 26mpg according to the odometer. I believe my actual is closer to 31mpg because I'm running 27" tires. :banana:

That beats driving my old rover which got 15mpg while I was doing the swap, plus the brat loves 87 octane and the rover needed 91 to be happy.

I love my brat!:headbang: