Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wats your mpg old soobs?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get about 20 in my wagon...

but after seeing all the mpg threads recently I'm thinking I need to make some tweaks so I can get up to 25 or more...

I've done the usual maintenance with no difference... even replaced the carb because mine had lots of shaft play and that didn't make a difference either... but there's lots of plugged lines from previous owners messing with it...

--Spiffy

SPFI, 3AT, FWD.

I had one timing belt a tooth off, and I need to replace them and make dead certain they are spot on, and re-time the engine... I KNOW it was timed with the dizzy cam a tooth off, so its set incorrectly now. Also may be having a TPS problem, and a potential vacuum/PCV issue.

22 MPG with my foot on the floor, and my rust-built parachute trunk for added drag.

Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag - 20/21 city, 25/26 highway.

Red, the $300 94 Alpine Wagon - about the same, maybe a little better on highway MPG.

I've got a trip to San Diego scheduled mid July. I'm taking Murph, and I'm going to make an effort to go no more than 65 on the highway, but it's a turbo, and going slow is hard to do. :banana::banana::banana:

91 loyale, 180k, 5spd, get 34ish on the highway doing 55-60 (over that it drops fairly quickly).

Slowing down made the biggest change I've noticed.

-Dave

pretty much what I get now that I drive slow as well. Best tank was 36 mpg.

-Doug

Haven't checked actual mileage in awhile, keep forgetting to write stuff down...

But,, last tankfull in the '86 BRAT, Weber carb. I went 322 miles before the low fuel light started to glow. Could've went further, but gas was ten cents cheaper at the station I stopped at vs here where I live.

Last tankfull in the '85 BRAT, all stock components. I drove 288 miles before low fuel light came on.

This is mostly back roads, driving 64+ miles everyday for work, very little in town, and no highway. 55 mph for the most part.

88 GL 4wd wagon, last time I checked was a couple weeks ago. 6-7 hour drive down to Lakeview Oregon, pedal to the metal basically the whole time trying to keep up with another car we went down with, 4 people inside, and throwing gas out the window everytime I passed a semi-truck, it got 25 mpg on the first fill up.

When in lakeview we did a touch of running through some mud, and explored (quickly) a very steep gravel loop road up to a radio tower. We than crammed 6 people in it (not very safe I know, but the other car had to leave early) and began driving north again at the same speed as before. On the next fill up it got 28.

This car is a mystery to me. :grin:

When I first got it it was getting about 22.

1989 SFPI dual range GL wagon, around 29 to 30mpg (country highway, 35 to 50mph, and some steep hills). Falls to 24ish in wintertime bashing through snowdrifts.

1991 Justy 4wd.... to be determined. Haven't gone through a full tank yet because I just bought it.

1982 dual range GL wagon ... used to get around 29 highway, 24 city. Dropped about 2mpg when the carbureator lost the idle circuit, for some reason (probably lost some other stuff at the same time).

Z

OK, you can shoot me:

88gl 2WD 5 spd 45mpg, up hill, down hill, loaded, empty, 1.8 SPFI

92 4WD Loyale 5 spd 38mpg highway, as is, bought ($60), and driven home, 2 square tires, broken radio, no heater

Imperial gallons! (the "real" way to measure anything!)

86 brat, high topper

270,000 mi

last average on highway driving was 28.6 mpg, this was a mix of highway driving and county roads, across 3-400 miles, half of which the back was loaded with a ej22 and a transmission.

average speed was within 65 mph, i try to be consious of my cruising speed which plays out to be about 63 mph @ 3,000 rpms on 185/70 wheels.

when i boufht the brat the seller told me the valve lash has been adjusted.

so you guys in the hi-mileage ea81's should consider the valve lash to get that last bit of mpg out of your old soobs