Ultimate Subaru Message Board

seat compatability ea 81

Should bolt right in. They are a tad bit wider across the bottom cushion, but they fit nicely. I really like the feel of the ones I have in the '85 BRAT, (not sure what they came out of). I have another set out of an '85 Sedan for in the '82 BRAT, when I get it back together.

thanks for the reply, have a set to buy, a little dirty, but the foam looks good. I am sitting on springs right now. My massage therapists looks horrified at me! The price is right, just have to get my friend to help with the welding if it is necessary.

The seats from the GL wagon would not allow you to flip them forward to gain access to the t-top straps. If you were going to do all the work, best find some XT6 seats.

that would be key, I would hate not to be able to tilt the seats, to access the space behind the seats, thanks. dp

I've got leather legacy seats in my brat. I love the lumbar support! Much better than the old ripped up stock seats. If you've got to do some welding might as well get the nicest seats for the $. I think I paid $25 for my two front seats at pick n pull. The brackets were very simple to make.

Daniel

• 1 month later...
I have ea82 seats but dont really have to patience to make them fit. It doesnt seem like the easiest job, especially since I have no welder all of a sudden.

Last set I did took about 4 hours. You take a few measurements, go to home depot and get some 1"x3/16" flat bar, cut 8 2.25" sections, drill and tap a hole in each one for the EA81 rail bolts, and then weld them to the EA82 seat bottom. I wrap the area in wet towels so I don't have to remove the covers. Then you just bolt the rails on, and bolt them into the car. It's straightforward and simple. Welding is the prefered method of attaching the brackets as it is both secure and low-profile. A bolt-head will not fit between the rail and the existing mounting holes. Possibly a socket-head cap screw or using 1/4" flat bar and counter-sinking them would work but I'm tall so I don't want anything thicker than it has to be.

GD