Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

my new Erector Set Battery hold down. :lol: I ended up cutting the tire hold-down hump off to get it to fit. what's left is the section the pitch stopper mount is welded to....

battery-holder.jpg

Help me out here but isnt that a no no. Batterys cant be mounted like that.:eek: And you shouldnt mount your battery like that right. One big puddle and pow no juice

Help me out here but isnt that a no no. Batterys cant be mounted like that.:eek: And you shouldnt mount your battery like that right. One big puddle and pow no juice

they can be mounted like that if they are a AGM battery (Optima, Odyssey). my battery got plenty wet in the stock location :) and remember, the batter is a bit higher now too :) But I was thinking about putting a splash cover on it just in case....

This battery is a rebranded Odyssey dual purpose (Starting and Deep Cycle) Marine battery.

they can be mounted like that if they are a AGM battery (Optima, Odyssey). my battery got plenty wet in the stock location :) and remember, the batter is a bit higher now too :) But I was thinking about putting a splash cover on it just in case....

This battery is a rebranded Odyssey dual purpose (Starting and Deep Cycle) Marine battery.

You probally could get a battery box to put it in with a cover. I saw a guy do that with is wench battery on his traler. Had a cover and 2 notches on the side for the cables to go out on. Worked pretty slick.

Looked Like This.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taylor-48200-Odyssey-Optima-aluminum-battery-box_W0QQitemZ260387572380QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260387572380&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

You probally could get a battery box to put it in with a cover. I saw a guy do that with is wench battery on his traler. Had a cover and 2 notches on the side for the cables to go out on. Worked pretty slick.

Looked Like This.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taylor-48200-Odyssey-Optima-aluminum-battery-box_W0QQitemZ260387572380QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item260387572380&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

yes, I looked around at lots of options. most would work good in a "stock" type battery location or "common" relocation area like a bed, but the "tray" area was the best location for me, which unfortunately is just big enough to fit the battery only, and I had to figure out how to mount my hold down in the odd shaped tray area... the erector set model worked great for this....

plus I didn't want to spend much $$

spent last night cleaning up the engine bay electrical.... rerouting for the new battery location. zip tied up the loom that runs under the radiator to the new core support.

got the MSD6A remounted....

got the winch and centerlamp put back in place...

Discovered lots of rust through from the bed into the cab right where the welds are. Need to get the holes repaired/sealed before mounting the fuel cell...

Turning out VERY nice McBrat! Hats off ot you and everyone who helped make it happen; thats one hell of a trail rig.

I didn't read every post.... did you upgrade gears in the samurai t-case?

Nope. all stock gears....everywhere.

For the places I wheel, it should be fine. In fact, because of the high range reduction in the sammy t-case, I should be able to run High-High too with plenty of oomph for hiway driving.....

Brake lines and exhaust are all that's left to purchase thankfully :clap: (well, until next year, when it's mud tires and a bigger winch)

got my front bumper/guard painted last night, so I can finish putting together the front....

hey, maybe you missed my other post...I'm getting a bumper fabbed pretty soon and wondered if you'd mind putting up a few more shots of yours...

All the fabricators down here are used to using tube for the prerunners (think baja 1000) but I haven't seen a setup I liked until I saw yours.

I like how it follows the lines of the front end and ties in on the corners. I'm thinking mine will be the front part of a simple/tight exo cage, too.

ok. finally got done with all the painting of the new metal.... it's definitely an off-road style paint job :lol: but it'll work just fine....

Roll cage is white. front bumper is white, steering, subframe, and links are all silver.

now to finish the assembly.... fuel cell install is next...

most of the electrical is done now. made short cable for the starter, and finsihed re-routing my fuse panel feeds. put on Warn disconnects (had 'em laying around) for the winch since the original cables no longer were long enough....

figured out where to mount my new fuel guage.... I had a 2 guage A pillar pod for a mid 90's impreza that I was gonna use on my old '97 outback, so I checked, and it will work pretty well in the Brat. will need to trim one part of it. got the fuel guage installed in the pod, and decided to fill up the other spot with an AFR guage I had laying around. will hook it up when I do the SPFI swap....

hopefully fuel cell, pump, Sammy speedo cable, and custom front driveshaft tonight...

I rolled it out and got some additional pics. will try and post them tonight....

though looking back at the pics of the bumper with it nose to nose with my 86, I don't think the pics are that much different.....

I got my brake set-up mostly laid out. Hill holder will be set-up for the rears, like the original Studebaker design. Brake-lines will follow the upper links to the axles, so no worries about hyper extending brake-lines....

I ordered my flexible brake lines today. All Toyota. 4 stock '85 truck rear lines (M-F fittings), and 2 stock '91-'98 Tercel rear lines. the rest will be custom hard-lines.

Need to get my fronts torn apart to put on the FJ-40 vented rotors, and the '90 V6 calipers. 11" drums in rear are still good shape, so will be using those until gone, then swapping to rear disks.....

waiting for 1 fuel fitting before the fuel system is done.

Still hoping to have it ready for the June soob campout in Iowa.....

I had to find a mount spot for the hill holder, because the steering linkage is where it used to sit... I got a ea82 hillholder form Bill O. and it was better shape, and the mounts are diffferent, thought the main core of the hillholder is identical... nearly. well, the ea82 one has a smaller footprint the way it's laid out, and I was able to combine both mount brackets to extend the base, and push the unit more towards the engine... clears the steering linkage, and the cable mounted perfect.... just have to get a plug for the top outlet on the HH.

I usedsome flexable aluminum tubing to create a template for to MC to HH line. just happened to be one of the originals the exact length I needed, and bent it by hand, and it fit perfect.... I then rebent and ran the line from the other MC port over and down to my front upper link.

I think I need to drop my tranny crossmember an inch maybe. I think my linkage is rubbing...with the lift before, I didn't bother to do anything for fitting the 5 speed in, and when we delifted it, it just went up in place,and its jammed in there it looks like....

damn close!!

what rear disc setup do you think you'll run? that's pretty high on the list of things I want to do to my 4runner.....but there are so many different setups, I really don't know what to go with.

well, Chris checked it out, and if I use the stock toyota front solid rotors, modified to fit on the rear, and turned down just a bit, the original soob front calipers with e-brake provision could be mounted, giving it a bit more subaru :)

well, Chris checked it out, and if I use the stock toyota front solid rotors, modified to fit on the rear, and turned down just a bit, the original soob front calipers with e-brake provision could be mounted, giving it a bit more subaru :)

That's an awesome idea!! and....lookie here. I've got extra yota rotors and many subie calipers (even XT6 ones....). once I get my spare axle torn down, maybe I'll mock it all up....