Ultimate Subaru Message Board

removing ea82T head

How does one remove the passenger side head off a EA82T car .. More specifically how do you remove the bracket that is sandwiched between the turbo and the exhaust pipe that is bolted to the head? There is not enough room to get the bolts out of the head because one of them is actually below the turbo and would push up on it if removed, and they look near impossible to get out otherwise. Do I have to actually remove the turbo?

The engine is in the car and I just unbolted the exhaust and left it in place, assuming the head will lift up and out.

Thanks,

ML

How does one remove the passenger side head off a EA82T car .. More specifically how do you remove the bracket that is sandwiched between the turbo and the exhaust pipe that is bolted to the head? There is not enough room to get the bolts out of the head because one of them is actually below the turbo and would push up on it if removed, and they look near impossible to get out otherwise. Do I have to actually remove the turbo?

The engine is in the car and I just unbolted the exhaust and left it in place, assuming the head will lift up and out.

Thanks,

ML

Be a good idea to remove the turbo, it has water and oil lines connected to the head that need removed. That bracket can be a pita, soak the bolts with PB Blaster first.

You pretty much gotta take out the turbo.

And as mentioned, Hoses.

there is an oil line bolted to the rear of the head, low in the corner.(hard line, banjo bolt style. Don't lose the 2 copper crush washers)

A larger oil return tube beneath the turbo.(5/16 or 3/4 trans cooler hose works well. Diesel Truck repair shop would stock)

And also a coolant return hose (1/2 inch heater hose) that snakes under said plate then clamps to a pipe that bolts to the underside of the head. There is a small 10mm bolt holdin that pipe to the head as well, near the exhaust port.

Coolant supply hose on the top is obvious.

BTW, don't unbolt the pipes on the turbo, undo the clamps instead.

Edited by Gloyale

yeah that area is really annoying on turbos. hang in there and listen to those folks.

yes, the heads are easy to remove and very easy to do in the car. other than time, the most annoying part of this job is removing the turbo IMO.

having a 10mm ratcheting wrench for the valve cover bolts makes it a simple job. i greatly prefer air tools too, annoying cranking all those head bolts out by hand in the car.

yes, the heads are easy to remove and very easy to do in the car. other than time, the most annoying part of this job is removing the turbo IMO.

Yeah, it isn't nessecary to remove the motor, but he will have to unbolt the pass. side enging mount and jack up that side to drop the crossover/uppipe out.

i did a head gasket on the same head it is a pita but with a jack and some man power i did manage to get it out and in with minimal pain took me a whole as i did take quite a few breaks. i unbolted turbo intake crossover pipe lines and that little bracket last i unbolted it off the head which was a bit difficult due to space but after i did that i just bent it out of the way and lifted the head out. bent it back into place when putting everything together

gl hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help.

Well, living up to my name I have just gotten back out to the car (spent the holidays drunk and the next few weeks recovering) and got the head off.

The biggest pain was the little metal pipe that goes from back of the head to he top of the turbo, is that what the u-pipe is? I actually took the turbo and head off with that connected .. it flexed enough to get the turbo up and off then the turbo and head came off together. Getting it back on may be a different story so if that IS the u- pipe then I suppose I will need to jack the motor up as recommended.

So second question is .. should I go ahead and do the drivers side head gasket since I am most of the way there? or just let it be?

Thx again, I am way over my skill level here but its fun

Thanks for all the help.

Well, living up to my name I have just gotten back out to the car (spent the holidays drunk and the next few weeks recovering) and got the head off.

The biggest pain was the little metal pipe that goes from back of the head to he top of the turbo, is that what the u-pipe is? I actually took the turbo and head off with that connected .. it flexed enough to get the turbo up and off then the turbo and head came off together. Getting it back on may be a different story so if that IS the u- pipe then I suppose I will need to jack the motor up as recommended.

So second question is .. should I go ahead and do the drivers side head gasket since I am most of the way there? or just let it be?

Thx again, I am way over my skill level here but its fun

the hardline from the back of the head is the oil supply.

The short rubber line between trubo and lower rear of head is the oil return.

The *uppipe* is the exhaust piece that goes form the heads into the turbo.

Always Do both headgaskets at the same time.

well I never took the up pipe off but the turbo came off. I cant figure out why the up pipe would have to come off, what am i missing here? The only trouble I foresee is getting it back together, specifically that dang oil line. How does the oil line disconnect from the turbo, it has an odd shallow nut that I cant get a good grip on and am afraid of stripping. What is the little screw w/ an adjustment that the line goes to?

On another note the cylinder with the leak (#3) had water in it and looks corroded, the one next to it (#1) looks perfect and shiny, you can see the hone marks still. Do I just wipe #3 off with a rag and call it good or is there something more I should do?

Again, thx a million, without everyones help I would be spending like $700 for a JDM motor.

well I never took the up pipe off but the turbo came off. I cant figure out why the up pipe would have to come off, what am i missing here?

It is bolted to the bottom of both heads. Has to come out, or at least come down some, to allow the heads to come off.