Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Subaru do you recommend?

Hello all - newbie here, at least to Subarus. I have never so much as ridden in one, but a good female friend of mine needs my help to purchase one, and knowing how helpful the forums are for my own cars, I figured I would bounce some questions off some veteran Subaru guys (and gals) and see if you can help. I promise to stay with the thread and post pics of the one she ultimately buys.

My friend is in the Navy. She has orders to a country in Africa (sorry to be so vague, I know it's a big place). She has been told that the makes in that location for which she can find parts and support are Nissan, Toyota and Subaru. She's heavily leaning towards Subaru. She must have all wheel drive, as it will be absolutely necessary in most places she'll drive. With the roads and road conditions they have there, she's been told she won't usually get above 40 mph. She wants to buy the vehicle here in the U.S. and ship it over there, because there is very little to no selection there. She wants to buy a used vehicle, and doesn't want to spend more than $15k. Hopefully, it will go two years with little to no problems, then she plans to sell it locally in Africa when she leaves. If she were to go with a Subaru, which model and years do you recommend? Of the ones you recommend, can you please provide a list of specific issues to watch out for on that particular model/year as we go over each vehicle? Other than basic maintenance, anything that you recommend be done to it or upgraded before it's shipped?

Thanks in advance!

John Jones

Monterey, CA

Update: Here is the info I have put in a later post:

Sorry for being so vague earlier, I have a few more details now:

*Exact location is Libreville, Gabon, Africa. Former French colony. Probably a lot of recycled French cars as mentioned in a previous post.

*Most of the driving will be within the capital of Libreville - I didn't realize that's what she meant when she said she probably would never get above 40mph. The roads aren't that bad in the capital, but she wants to be able to head out of town to explore, and down to the beach.

*One of her future co-workers (who is there right now) has a Subaru Outback and has seen several other Subarus around town, but didn't exactly clarify what kind of support is there for Subarus. It looks like the nearest 'official' support is in Kenya. Just guessing, but most likely the Subarus in Libreville were probably imported from France for the most part, and I would be that any parts the guys order there come through France (or Kenya).

*She wants a vehicle that is as much like a car as possible. She test drove a Nissan Xterra and felt it was okay, but she liked a RAV4 much better. I didn't think I would recommend the RAV4, but then I visited a Toyota dealer's web site in Gabon (http://www.toyotagabon.com/eng/index.html) and I see some new RAV4's available on the site, so I guess that's a viable choice now - in fact it may be the frontrunner, but we're still going to be limited by budget and availability.

Edited by jmj951

I am going to recommend the toyota hilux and provide links of good info

South Africa continued to produce the 1984-1988 generation through 1997.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration2.html

http://www.brian894x4.com/Hiluxgeneration3.html

http://www.toyota.co.za/models/viewrange.aspx?id=hilux

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/

from everything I have seen, when a durable 4x4 is required, only the toys show up out in the wild

these trucks are well made and have a large support group

nothing else really comes close

I do NOT recommend any subaru or nissan for this application, save your :Flame: for something else!

vw did make some interesting vehicles with 4x4, and made some in south africa also

I would think that, in Africa, a pickup truck would be more useful and versatile than a car. You can haul anything, but you can still haul people if need be. A pickup will have a lot more load capacity and will be a bit tougher mechanically than a Subaru.

The trucks shown in the links from subiemech are great, I had four of them right in a row and they were all extremely reliable. They are also sort of the standard in Africa from what I've seen, pretty much any National Geographic article about Africa shows at least one Toyota Hilux or LandCruiser.

Subaru's AWD system is not really designed for rough off-road conditions, it's more meant for increased traction on ice, snow, ect. Without modifications, the modern cars are not really a good off-road machine. A Toyota pickup is a much better choice for that sort of thing.

It might help if you could tell us what she will be using the vehicle for, and how much she will be using it.

Andy

In this situation, I would recommend a Jeep Wrangler. They have heavy frames, and designed to drive on any road or non road surface without breaking.

As said in an earlier post, Subies are still cars. Their 4 wheel drive system is really designed for added traction on real roads with ice and snow slippery conditions.

Great, this is not what I expected to hear, but I'm glad to get this kind of feedback. I'm wondering why she was told by one of the folks aready working there that Subarus were one of the makes to get, I'll try to reach her and get more info on why they recommended a Subaru, and how widely used they really are in that location.

yeah we can go on and on about US makes and models, but she would really be better off narrowing down what's best over there. like parts and supplies. she should narrow it down to a handful or two vehicles and for the one or couple that end up being a subaru, then ask us specifics.

unless of course someone here has knowledge of african markets...!?!?

personally i'd at least entertain the idea of doing the opposite thing that she's doing. buying a neat vehicle there that she can't get here then transporting it back to the US.

a buddy of mine did that when he was in the military and has an interesting land cruiser that's not available here in the US.

I could be dead wrong, but I don't think there is going to be anyone over there able to service newer US market subies. From what I have read africa is usually 10 years or so behind the US in cars and trucks, they still make discontinued models over there.

If that's true maybe she can get a 2009/1996 OBW with the 2.2 and 5 speed. We will each take one.:banana:

Where in Africa? I think it varies alot depending on where you are. I was in Mauritania about 5 years ago, and there were not subaru's... probably because they don't make a diesel. There were almost no gasoline cars at all, except on the US embassy grounds, where I saw a few Chevys. We rented two pickups -- a Hilux, and a VW branded Hilux. I like the VW branded one much better -- leaf springs and solid front axle (for a late 90's model) instead of IFS -- it did much better out in the sand dunes and rocks than the toyota branded one, and also went faster on the highway (could cruise at almost 150kph). Both were turbodiesel which were way better (IMO) than the gas engines we have here in the US. There were quite a few of the landcruiser pickups too (slightly newer versions of the FJ55), and landrovers, a few nissan pickups, and lots of 80's mercedes sedans and puegot sedans, and diesel camrys. All the semi trucks were mecerdes. Rich people had Lexus SUV's (landcruisers) and G-wagons.

If newer subaru's are available there... I would still shy away, since the newer ones don't have low range. If they had low range like the old GLs, then Id' say yes -- as long as you don't overload it, it will probably do pretty well. But, given the terrain we were driving around in on the outskirts of the sahara desert... 75% of american SUV's would have given out (we broke a spring on the Hilux one day, by loading 12 people and all our baggage in it, then driving up a dry river bed/"road"). They're just not made for real off-roading any more. Then again... it might be a comletely different place than where I was at, where all wheel drive is fine.... Africa is as diverse, or more, than the US -- and there are parts of the US where subaru's are not often seen, and parts where they are 40% of the cars on the road. If subaru's are sold there, then it might not be as severe as where we were.

I think it would be fun to buy one over there after looking at what's driving around for a month or two.

I could be dead wrong, but I don't think there is going to be anyone over there able to service newer US market subies. From what I have read africa is usually 10 years or so behind the US in cars and trucks, they still make discontinued models over there.

Where I was, it looked like most of the fleet was thrown away from France... seriesly -- 80's era mercedes and puegots that looked like they had been rolled, dragged out of the ditch, hit by a dumptruck, put back together with chewing gum, and were still running. I remember one puegot pickup truck, from the 60's probably, with 1000lbs of fish in it -- totally rusted out, not a piece of glass left on it (windshield, headlights, side windows, nothing), or any paint left on the rusty metal. Then, it slowly puttered away....

On the other hand, I saw what looked to be brand new Lexus Landcruisers and G-wagons, that the rich people drove.... so it appears that they were available to those that had the cash.

I would recommend you get a little toyota pickup or a nice 85-89 gl wagon with dual range.

And for either put brand spanking new air filters, fuel filters, oil filters, oil,

rebuild the engine, new seals, new heads, new door seals, new cabin air filter,

new tires, basically, anything that isn't perfect, replace with new if its

vital to the engine or the cabin sealing up.

That's my recommendation and please, don't write me off just because I'm 18.

Hope it helps,

Twitch

personally i'd at least entertain the idea of doing the opposite thing that she's doing. buying a neat vehicle there that she can't get here then transporting it back to the US.

I would kill to get my hands on 2 80ish 720 Crew cabs, one 4X4 and one 4X2. One day I will have to go down to Mexico and see what I can find as that's how a guy I knew back in the day got his old 79ish Toy HiLux Crew cab that made me :slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber: and worse;).

But yeah, I agree that getting a 'Yota would be a better idea than a Subie as you can get parts for them ANYWHERE and good luck in killing an older version. Also, finding a mechanic to fix a Subie correctly is hard where a Toy or anything else is easy (somethin about a flat I guess?)

Edited by newsoobdude

Wow, getting more feedback than I expected, thanks all. Thanks also for the comment about diesel vs petrol - I hadn't considered that yet. I know Petrol is available in town, but if she wants to travel around, that may be an issue.

Sorry for being so vague earlier, I have a few more details now:

*Exact location is Libreville, Gabon, Africa. Former French colony. Probably a lot of recycled French cars as mentioned in a previous post.

*Most of the driving will be within the capital of Libreville - I didn't realize that's what she meant when she said she probably would never get above 40mph. The roads aren't that bad in the capital, but she wants to be able to head out of town to explore, and down to the beach.

*One of her future co-workers (who is there right now) has a Subaru Outback and has seen several other Subarus around town, but didn't exactly clarify what kind of support is there for Subarus. It looks like the nearest 'official' support is in Kenya. Just guessing, but most likely the Subarus in Libreville were probably imported from France for the most part, and I would be that any parts the guys order there come through France (or Kenya).

*She wants a vehicle that is as much like a car as possible. She test drove a Nissan Xterra and felt it was okay, but she liked a RAV4 much better. I didn't think I would recommend the RAV4, but then I visited a Toyota dealer's web site in Gabon (http://www.toyotagabon.com/eng/index.html) and I see some new RAV4's available on the site, so I guess that's a viable choice now - in fact it may be the frontrunner, but we're still going to be limited by budget and availability.

Thanks again all!

Well, she ultimately went with a 2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4. We were trying really hard to get a good mid-to-late 90's 4Runner, but there was only one in the area that didn't have really high mileage, it was for sale by a private party, and they wanted $2300 more (over 25% more) than Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds Appraisal, and they wouldn't drop more than $300 off of their $8300 asking price, so no deal.

Thanks again for all of your input. Subaru was a strong candidate in the beginning, but once I researched more and realized that there was no authorized dealer support there, and that a stock north American model probably wasn't a great idea for some of the roads outside of town, I had to take it off the list.

One thing to do:

Get her to contact someone LEAVING that duty station, preferably someone who owns the same vehicle. They can tell her some important things: what parts are the hardest to find, so she can pack some to go with her, what the usual sale value of the vehicle is so she can decide NOW whether it's better to sell or bring it back (paperwork for return - don't have it all = :eek:), and last, what her average repair wait time will be.

Some places have very long wait times to repair even the simplest things. If that is true where she's going, make sure she has repair manuals and a basic tool set packed! Anyone can learn how to fix simple stuff, and if it keeps her on the road, that's worth the price when a shop wants six weeks and then it's 'maybe it'll be done, maybe not' in another country! Especially worse if you don't speak the mechanic's language fluently.

One thing to do:

Get her to contact someone LEAVING that duty station, preferably someone who owns the same vehicle. They can tell her some important things: what parts are the hardest to find, so she can pack some to go with her, what the usual sale value of the vehicle is so she can decide NOW whether it's better to sell or bring it back (paperwork for return - don't have it all = :eek:), and last, what her average repair wait time will be.

Some places have very long wait times to repair even the simplest things. If that is true where she's going, make sure she has repair manuals and a basic tool set packed! Anyone can learn how to fix simple stuff, and if it keeps her on the road, that's worth the price when a shop wants six weeks and then it's 'maybe it'll be done, maybe not' in another country! Especially worse if you don't speak the mechanic's language fluently.

Thanks, we've been thinking along those lines. Some U.S. folks over there right now said that there are numerous Xterra's and there is local dealer support for them there. We didn't pack a service manual, but we did send a complete set of replacement bulbs, a few air filters, two brand new tires that match what's currently on it (and it already has two new tires and two barely used), jumper cables, air compressor, and several oil filters - all in the household goods shipment that left the day after she bought it. We just had the 60k service done as part of the deal as well, which includes replacement of just about every fluid in the car, including coolant, trans, differential, and 4x4 service. She'll only be there for a few years, and then she will definitely sell it there - she's been told that she will get far more for it there than she paid for it here, even after using it there for a few years.

that nissan xterra gets what, like 12-14 mpg.

Not sure, but it has a 4.0L V6 with around 275 horsepower, so that wouldn't surprise me. I think she's already offset the carbon footprint by driving a Toyota Prius for the last two years :lol:

Hi,

I am not happy with my Subaru. For two years, Subaru dealer in Turkey has not been able to fix my car. They sent a lot data to Japan, they say. Japaneese engineers will write a new program for my car.

Mehmet

Edited by merogul
grammar and long words