Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 clutch into 84

I bought a 82 GL parts car. for some reason its clutch is WAY smaller than my 84's clutch.Both are 4wd and both are EA81's.Would I have any problems using the 82's flywheel to mate up to the 84 engine?That way I can use the smaller 82's clutch to get the car driving again.Also I plan to use the 84 as an offroad toy,assuming the clutch swap from the 82 works how much trouble is the smaller clutch going to be?

The 1982 uses the 7 7/8" clutch disc, while the 1984 MY uses an 8 7/8" disc.

Swapping in the '82 flywheel would be counterproductive,

especially for an "offroad toy". It may be possible, but why :confused:

Stick the '82 tranny into the '84 and use the big clutch.

my .02

the '82 4wd tranny has slightly better gearing (in 3 and 4) for holding speed on the highway.

one thing to be wary of though. the smaller '82 clutch and pressure plate, uses a smaller release bearing on the tranny input shaft. the holder is sized differently too, but should interchange between trans.....

if you use the larger release bearing witht he smaller pressure plate, the pressure placement on the fingers of the pressure plate is "wrong" and can be difficult to adjust the clutch properly. likewise for the opposite. small release bearing and larger pressure plate, and the bearing just barely hits the tips of the fingers.....

I bought a 1982 subaru GL wagon for a good price the guy said he just replaced the clutch and it ran for a little bit then stopped and never could get it turned over again. so he sold it to me for a good price and i didnt trust his work cuz it ran before he replaced the clutch he said for since he had it but anyhow, i droped the tranny and found this.

post-19074-136027631115_thumb.jpg

the pressure plate teeth work bent and missing the throw out bearing was ate and the throw out bearing shaft was ate as well. oh and he gave me the clutch and everything that he took out of the car. so i compared and its noticebly different. so i took it in to the parts house and they said that for the 1982s they have a late 70s clutch so i bought one threw it in there and SHE IS ALIVE:banana:

just figured i would do some show and tell

SS

You should have reused the clutch and pressure plate since it was newer, ie the previous owner so claims.

:lol:

I bought a 1982 subaru GL wagon for a good price the guy said he just replaced the clutch and it ran for a little bit then stopped and never could get it turned over again. so he sold it to me for a good price and i didnt trust his work cuz it ran before he replaced the clutch he said for since he had it but anyhow, i droped the tranny and found this.

[ATTACH]6187[/ATTACH]

the pressure plate teeth work bent and missing the throw out bearing was ate and the throw out bearing shaft was ate as well. oh and he gave me the clutch and everything that he took out of the car. so i compared and its noticebly different. so i took it in to the parts house and they said that for the 1982s they have a late 70s clutch so i bought one threw it in there and SHE IS ALIVE:banana:

just figured i would do some show and tell

SS

Any way to tell if my parts car is infact a 82 rather than a 83+ the headlights are just two rounded rectangles and it has a 3rd eye(which I may sell).But it seems those lights came on cars from 80-84...My offroad toy has the quad headlights...