Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not sure how to create a poll but do you use your Hiil Holder

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my '82 the part where it connects to the fork is broken so it's not hooked up... I haven't missed it... use the parking brake...

on my old '88 turbo it worked good... was sometimes annoying though... forgetting that you had it and trying to roll back for something...

it's a neat gadget but I've been without it so often that I really don't need it any more...

--Spiffy

'91 Loyale... HH broken for 10+ years. Never bothered to repair it. If you learned to drive without it (in hilly CO Springs in my case), you'd never miss it. Maybe it's useful for a beginning M/T driver, but IMHO, just an unneeded gimmick--learn to use the clutch.

85 4WD GL Wagon. Mine works well and I use it anytime I have to stop on an incline. It's especially useful in San Francisco where people hang on your butt :) at uphill stoplights...

I swear driving in SF is like 4wheeling only the trails are paved. Last time i was there i stopped at a 4 way stop, i was pointed up. The angle was so steep i couldnt see the cross traffic at all, so after a 2 count I just went.

And I thought NYC grid was crazy at time, i imagine if these same people built a city in the Andes there would be a grid along the sides of Mt Everest.

nipper

Hey I do have one! The cable was disconnected but I think it'll work.

Curious feature, I'll have to look closer at how it actually works. Curiuos how it knows your going uphill. I'm assuming it doesn't put the brake on rolling downhill or up to a stop sign.

I've used it on some cars, and not on others... depends on whether it's hooked up to begin with. I kind of like it, but not strictly necessary with good use of the handbrake. My truck doesn't have a hillholder or a working handbrake, so I'm kind of used to offroading in it... (sometimes I have to start it in gear if it's a sketchy slope)

I think it's kind of funny that some of the new luxury SUV's have it and are marketing it like a new thing.... kind of like a 1982 subaru standard feature.... :lol:

Curious feature, I'll have to look closer at how it actually works. Curiuos how it knows your going uphill. I'm assuming it doesn't put the brake on rolling downhill or up to a stop sign.

It is an on demand one way valve. It has a ball that rolls backward in a tube to block a hole. Only when the front of the car is *uphill*, otherwise it rolls forward away fro the valve seat. There is a pin protruding though the hole to keep the ball from seating when the clutch is out, but when the cable is pulled, the pin drops away, and the ball blocks the hole. If you also hit the brakes, now the braking force is trapped.

It can't generate any braking force, only retain force generated by the Master cyl.

• 4 weeks later...

I Know that in Post Nº 48 I Said that I Love the Hill Holder Feature and it Never Gave me a Problem in my Wagons... But maybe this Thread was a Premonition... :eek: ...My Weberized Subie (My Everyday Warrior) Just Started to Leak from the Hill Holder... :banghead:

So I Did This:

Worked great until it started leaking. ... disconnected it to prevent future problems. I now just heel & toe on hills.

Untill I Could Find a Replacement.

So, You Wanted a Poll for This Question, Isn`t it?

Well, I Did it For You! ... :) ... Let`s Vote:

Very Respectfully, Let me Tell you that I Know how to Drive any Kind of Car, (I Learned to Drive back in the 1980`s Decade in a Mercedes 1113 Truck which I Still Drive sometimes ... No Hill Holder and it Carries Very Heavy Loads) But That is not the Point.

I Like the Hill Holder Because it is a Special Feature of our Subies and it is Not Common to see that Feature in other Brands of Cars; so it is Part of what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

:) ...

Also I Like that Everything in my Subie Works Very Well... if anything Fails, I have the feeling that I Need to Repair it ASAP (Also that Hill Holder may Help my Wife when She Drives in the Crazy Hills Streets of my Country :D )

So, I Really Don`t NEED that Hill Holder Feature, but Since it is a Special Feature of my Subie, I Want it to Work Well.

Also, This Idea:

Real men don't need no stinking hill holders.....Learn to heal to toe it! It's very easy.

Sounds Funny, as "Real Men Don't Need Power Windows ... So Learn how to Use Crank Windows" ... :lol: ...

Kind Regards.