Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch cable broke again

It is not Normal for a new Clutch Cable to only Last Six Months ... :eek: ... it Took twenty Years to broke the Original one in my EA82.

So I Suggest you to Check the Cable Position when you install another one, a Rubbing Part can make its life to be Shortened; usually a bad Turn near the cable Ends can make it Rub hard inside during each use.

Or it wasn`t a New cable?

i will remove it tomrrow, its cold and rainy right now and im saddened by even looking at my car at the moment.

pressure plate was in the car when i bought it, about 3x the pedal pressure of say a s2000, or twice that of a 2009 wrx.

High pedal effort does not mean "stronger" pressure plate. I thought all EA82s had an overly stiff clutch until I got my XT, which has about the same effort as a similar Toyota of Nissan. All of my stiff clutches were standard pressure plates. I also went through several cables; turned out to be cable routing issues.

+1 on checking cable routing.

Ditto on the cable routing..

EA-81 here, but same applies. The '85 BRAT had a way stiff pedal when I bought it. Got to checking it after driving it home. Cable was ran over the column and heater hoses. Re-reouted cable properly and clutch is nice and easy now.

My Brat had a LOT of clutch chatter when I got it, unless I gave it lots of revs and sort of "dumped" the clutch. The former owner said he replaced the clutch but didn't reface the flywheel. I have just recently put in a five speed, and when I looked at the old clutch, flywheel and pressure plate, they all looked fine. I refaced the flywheel, replaced clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. But, I found the clutch cable was routed OVER the steering column and heater hoses, could that be the chatter problem I experenced? (I did reroute it.) Cable always felt fine when I operated the pedal. I haven't finished the conversion yet so I don't know if the chatter is gone.

ok replaced it, lubed the cable with tri flow (real cable lube) greased the pivot bushing in the clutch pedal, and the pivot pin at the clutch end. seems radically diffrent, somewhat easier but a lot more springy.

i curse the engineers that thought that would be easy to replace

edit i routed the cable same as before

My Brat had a LOT of clutch chatter when I got it, unless I gave it lots of revs and sort of "dumped" the clutch. The former owner said he replaced the clutch but didn't reface the flywheel. I have just recently put in a five speed, and when I looked at the old clutch, flywheel and pressure plate, they all looked fine. I refaced the flywheel, replaced clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. But, I found the clutch cable was routed OVER the steering column and heater hoses, could that be the chatter problem I experenced? (I did reroute it.) Cable always felt fine when I operated the pedal. I haven't finished the conversion yet so I don't know if the chatter is gone.

Another possible cause of seeming clutch chatter.... my '82 wagon was missing nuts on the lower two bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. I drove it, off roaded it, a bit, that way, before I pulled the engine, and finally found out that it was kind of missing those.... :lol:

i had an xt6 that ran, shifted, and drove great. but the clutch was very hard to push down. i've owned at least 10 manual trans XT6's, so know what they're supposed to feel like. this one was tight and would break clutch cables. it was awhile ago so i can't recall what the problem was.

Ok, I don't want to sound like an rump roast, but how do you route the clutch cable wrong? From my experiences there is just one way it could be run

On some models it's easy to make the mistake of routing it over the steering shaft and heater core hoses. I've seen more than one mis-routed in this way.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my Brat back on the road after the five speed conversion. I had asked about clutch cable routing causing clutch chatter, well I'm writing this post to say it certainly does. I have zero chatter in my Brat now that I rerouted the cable. Amazing how something so simple can cause such a big problem.