Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hole in the block?

Okay I work for a salvage yard as some of you may know. We just recently got a 89 gl s/w in. I was drooling, I have the same thing except mine is a dl. This has power everything. Mine doesn't. The speedometer says its got 130000 miles on it. I pop the hood and it would appear it has a rebuilt engine in it. Or at least somebody pulled it and took the time to repaint the whole engine lol. In any case, we were told it has a hole in the block. I can't see anywhere where there is a hole. There was no oil in it. But pulling the dipstick I also don't see any metal shavings on it. I haven't been a member on here for long but I've read alot of posts, and I have driven my subaru HARD. I've yet to see a post where someone said they had put a hole in there block, and considering how I've driven mine, and the dozens my friends have driven, I have a hard time imagining that its possible to do that. What are your opinions. I'm seriously contemplating replacing the head on an engine that I had in before that is cracked and swapping engines. The body on everything on this one I'm looking at is absolutely A+.

The only subaru engine I've seen with a hole in the block was an EJ22 overrevved for quite some time and threw a rod. Still ran, but there was a hole right under the intake manifold. Yeah, it's toast if that happened, but it's easy (in WA it should be anyway) to just find another good engine to put in it, if the rest of the car is good.

Z

As bheinen74 and turbone wrote, check along the top of the block on either side of where the case halves join. Most likely cause of a holed-block is a thrown rod, and this is where it will (literally) appear. Only other (un-???)likely cause is road trauma, and that would be along the bottom.

Pull it so you can get a real good look at it. If it ran out of oil for any reason, leave it.

As far as swapping any of the power options, I say leave them alone. Every EA82 Subaru I've had that has had all the power options, including the loyale I have now, was a headache. Cleaning contacts, replacing relays, bad grounds etc.

I'D be keeping my old subie either way, i just like this one because of how stratight and rust free it is, i wouldn't swap any of the electrical parts from one to the next. Mine has power nothing, just cruise and air, and as has been eluded too, it can be a headache not only to switch them, but get them working if they arent already. I don't know if it got ran out of oil, it currently has nothing in it. And I'm not sure my boss would like me pulling the engine to look at it, but I guess I'll have to see. It would be a shame to see that a rod had been thrown on an engine that has possibly been recently rebuilt.

I don't know if it got ran out of oil, it currently has nothing in it. And I'm not sure my boss would like me pulling the engine to look at it, but I guess I'll have to see. It would be a shame to see that a rod had been thrown on an engine that has possibly been recently rebuilt.

I guess he wants to sell it whole.

It may not have been a good rebuilder, just becasue it was rebuilt doesn't mean it was done properly, or quality gaskets were used.

Good luck, I hope it's what your after.

+1 to the hole being under the intake manifold. I am one of the few around here that have personally done it. The first engine in my lifted wagon went too long between oil changes (filters really) before I owned it - it chews up the oil pumps when the oil bypasses the filter and eventually leads to low oil pressure and rod failure. It's generally always the #3 rod that goes as it's farthest from the oil pump. If it truely is a rebuild than the painted block screams amature to me - it's aluminium and they are not painted by any of the major rebuild houses nor were they painted from the factory. Sounds like what we call a "rattle can rebuild" in my line of work :lol:. People who are concerned with the appearance of the block (cast iron understandably the exception) are generally not the same people that do quality rebuilding of engines. For one thing almost anyone that turns wrenches for a living would just have it media blasted (or do it themselves) and leave it shiny silver. And once the block halves are cleaned and honed - ready for assembly - they are usually quite clean and nice looking without further modification.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

+1 to the hole being under the intake manifold. I am one of the few around here that have personally done it. The first engine in my lifted wagon went too long between oil changes (filters really) before I owned it - it chews up the oil pumps when the oil bypasses the filter and eventually leads to low oil pressure and rod failure. It's generally always the #3 rod that goes as it's farthest from the oil pump. If it truely is a rebuild than the painted block screams amature to me - it's aluminium and they are not painted by any of the major rebuild houses nor were they painted from the factory. Sounds like what we call a "rattle can rebuild" in my line of work :lol:. People who are concerned with the appearance of the block (cast iron understandably the exception) are generally not the same people that do quality rebuilding of engines. For one thing almost anyone that turns wrenches for a living would just have it media blasted (or do it themselves) and leave it shiny silver. And once the block halves are cleaned and honed - ready for assembly - they are usually quite clean and nice looking without further modification.

GD

hey now they can look good

IMG_1964.jpg

who cares if there is a hole in the block its not like those motors are hard to find or hard to swap just buy the car before some one like me does and you kick your a@# for not buying it and if your keeping your old suby just put the :banana:see if the old motor runs first with a hole in the block mine still ran and drove for 5 min till#2 rod went then she would only think about running its was sweet though and it gives u summthin to talk about

good times of brakin stuff my fave :banana:

... i just like this one because of how stratight and rust free it is ...

Could you Post Pics of it here?

So, if the Engine Really has a Hole in the Block, I`ll Like to see Pics of That too... I`ve Never seen That Before.

I Suggest to Keep that subie and Maybe you can even Swap a Newer EJ Engine in it...

Yes, the "EJ it" Advice Again ... :) ...

Kind Regards.

Well I'm far from the most technologically advanced guy, I can probably take the pic, as far as getting it posted, LOL, that could take some work on my behalf. If anyone knows how to do it from a cell phone pic, i could snap some pics with my cell phone and forward it in a text and then they could post it. Sorry to seem so ignorant, but I don't even have internet at home, just at work. But it wouldn't be a problem to snap pics with the phone and forward them on. As far as the hole in the block, I can not see anywhere top or bottom (picked it up with our big forklift) that there is a hole, or even any excessive oil that may have been shot out. I did however when I had it lifted up see that where the exhaust bolts to the engine, there was no gasket there and one of the bolts is missing. Which I have had one of those bolts come out before, and to a person who may not know much about cars, it may have sounded like the engine was going tits up. I'm trying to find out from our other yard whether they drained the oil before they brought it here or if it came in with no oil. I guess I'll just put some oil in it and fire it up, see where it comes from if anywhere.

to post photos, download they to a pc and upload they to a free photos hosting website like flikr or photobucket after that yuo can right click copy the posted photo from those sites ans right click paste it here

I had a friend that I built an 89 GL for and he knew that it leaked oil. (I gave him a running engine for free and installed it too) He was vey bad about checking the oil. One night he was on the highway and his wife told him to stop and check the oil..He didn't and a few miles down the road they heard a loud "BANG" and the car screeched to a stop. Thankfully he thought to push in the clutch and coasted to the sie of the road. He had it towed to my house and I check the oil. The dipstick was dry. When I looked at the engine I could see right in the top of the bolck to the rods. Later I took off the intake and I was able to reach into the block and grab the crank and move it a little. It was at that point that I saw that two of the pistons had exploded when the engine locked up. Tow of the rods wer in the shape of a lazy "s". It was the most amazing thing I have every seen.

I dropped another motor in the car and sold it to another friend of mine. The guy that blew it up gave me the title because he had sucessfully blown up three subie motors in nine months and I asked him to stop killing cars that I was building for him for nothing so he could get to work. My msiion to keep him working was done and I moved on to people that appreciated the work I would do for them.

Yes I once had a hole in my block.

[innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa223/frog7055/1.jpg[/img]

[nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnIMG]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa223/frog7055/bighole.jpg[/img]

On a side note this engine still ran,drove it up onto the flatbed tow truck.

damn thats one clean engine what casued that?

I see lots of posts for putting an ej22 in place of an ea82, but it was something I never considered doing, mostly because I wouldn't have a clue what the hell I was doing. I rather surprised myself when I just swapped motors on my own. Wasn't that hard after I through the ********************* chiltons book away and used common sense and a little puzzle solving. However I am now thinking with this straight of a car with this nice of an interior, I may consider it. We have an ej22 in our salvage yard with 71k miles on it, we've got it priced at 495. How hard is it truly to do this swap. I don't really know anybody around my area that is a sub fanatic and would be willing to help me with this "experiment"

I see lots of posts for putting an ej22 in place of an ea82, but it was something I never considered doing, mostly because I wouldn't have a clue what the hell I was doing. I rather surprised myself when I just swapped motors on my own. Wasn't that hard after I through the ********************* chiltons book away and used common sense and a little puzzle solving. However I am now thinking with this straight of a car with this nice of an interior, I may consider it. We have an ej22 in our salvage yard with 71k miles on it, we've got it priced at 495. How hard is it truly to do this swap. I don't really know anybody around my area that is a sub fanatic and would be willing to help me with this "experiment"

Theres a couple of people in Spokane that might be willing to help out.

Baccaruda has a swapped EJ Wagon.

Monstaru has a EJ swapped Hatchback.

In the Retrofit Forum, theres a lot of info on the swap.