Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my rear right tire popped from a pothole...

i put the donut on.. and now it vibrates during accleration. its gone by the time i hit 25-30.. and its only during accleration..

im hoping its because the donut isnt balanced?

theres also a rubbing sound or something coming from back there.. but i cant tell what i is.. possibly brakes... but im not sure..

anyone have any idea what i might be looking at...

thanks.

Is your car auto? If so put the FWD fuse in. I suggest you get the tire replaced ASAP anyway, hit up a local tire shop!

It is even more urgent you get it fixed with a 5MT.

yes its an auto

...?why is it more urgent if i had a stick?

and why would the fwd fuse help?

cuz of the different rotation speed?

im working on getting a tire today.

*hmm thanks for that hint. i prolly wouldnt have thought of that. but it helped but is still there... just less it seems... if at all different...*

theres still strange road noise. i guess i wont know till i put on a more permanant tire....

Edited by greenleg88

yes its an auto

...?why is it more urgent if i had a stick?

and why would the fwd fuse help?

cuz of the different rotation speed?

im working on getting a tire today.

*hmm thanks for that hint. i prolly wouldnt have thought of that. but it helped but is still there... just less it seems... if at all different...*

theres still strange road noise. i guess i wont know till i put on a more permanant tire....

Look up "torque bind" that will explain why.

Temp spare is just that, supposed to be only temp (very limited mileage). Once you get a real tire on there we can address any issues. Make sure the tire is 1/4 circumfrence of the other tires, or get it shaved down to match.

nipper

Look up "torque bind" that will explain why.

Temp spare is just that, supposed to be only temp (very limited mileage). Once you get a real tire on there we can address any issues. Make sure the tire is 1/4 circumfrence of the other tires, or get it shaved down to match.

nipper

what do you mean 1/4 the circumference? im looking for a tire preferably of the same treadwear. or closest to the one that just popped.

wow. well im shooting for a near identical size tire.

how critical is tire height on a front wheel drive car...?

or what if i were to just throw the fronts on the back.. so theyre same height and have a slightly different height tire on the front.? is that any better?

ideally im going for the same size..

or what if i were to just throw the fronts on the back.. so theyre same height and have a slightly different height tire on the front.? is that any better?

*Front* wheel drive car, not critical.

*AWD Subaru*, very critical.

Dave

if this is a front wheel drive car you can put whatever the heck you want on the back. you could put a brand new one back there if you wanted.

hmm..

so what if this car wasnt a 97 legacy .. and it was like an 06 sti with a limited slip diff..

how different would the situation be then?

wouldn't the circumference of the tire not matter so much because the diff could handle the change?

what about when my car is going over sand on one wheel and gets traction on the other... then doesn't one wheel spin faster than the other then? what happens to the diff then?

Limited slip diifs on any car have the same requirement (wheel to wheel on the same axle), and all AWD cars have the same need, and some of them are actually pickier.

I am not sure how the 3rd generation of each system (or 6th in some cases) deal with a differnt size tire. Some may disable the AWD, some may just cook.

read your owners manauls carefully. The checkbook you save will be your own.

nipper

alright last question before i get a tire for real...

i dont think it was clearly stated...

is this requirement just on rear axles? what if theres two tires of different circumferences on the front wheels.

Thanks a ton.

• 5 years later...

This thread is so old, I'd thought I'd at least try asking here first.

I blew out one of my snow tires... they had two seasons of use so I'm looking for the same tire with similar wear.

The best option I have is an identical tire, brand model size, just it's new! My tires are just over a 1/4" worn (7-8/32", new they had 13/32").

I have zero drivetrain issues, car is rock solid.

What exactly am I risking running the line so close? How bad is it/the chance of wear... I suppose I'm asking for anyone with experience with a mismatched tire on an AWD enabled Subie.

I'm aware some businesses shave tires, given they are on the other side of the state, I might just.... throw on my 16" on the back of my siblings 15"er Corolla :mad: .

you can run two new tires.  tire places around here routinely run one new tire up front and one new tire in the back - they put the two new ones on opposite sides for some reason.

depending on the situation i wouldn't worry much to run one new tire and rotate the other 3 more frequently on my own personal daily driver.  eventually those 3 are going to wear down quicker.

you can also have one new tire shaved down to match.

but you don't want two mismatched tires on the rear if it's a VLSD rear diff, which i don't think a 1997 would have.

It's a 1998 (I think only the engine seals were changed up for that year, as per major changes),

what I decided to do was purchased a different tread pattern snow tire, and order it shaved down to match.

You mentioned a new tire working in a pinch, and for a second I thought about the $10-15 I would save by getting a matching Brand/model tire... but I suppose it's better to be safe than be sorry right?

Like I mentioned in my other blowout thread, my drivetrain is solid right now.. it'd be nice to keep it that way.

Thanks for the advice Gary, spot-on again

tire places around here routinely run one new tire up front and one new tire in the back - they put the two new ones on opposite sides for some reason.

Gary! I updated my other thread, and wanted to check back up on this now that I have a slightly beefier tire on one corner of my car.

I went the shaved route just to be clear.

Could you confirm that they put the "taller" tires on the diagonal?

I'm considering doing it, but would like to hear if that local shop does it for anyother reason than "it's better than having a pair of very worn pair of tires on one end of a car."