Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's Official, I've Joined the Dark Side (more pics added)

Part 1

As a few of you already know, I bought a 2009 STI recently and I just got back Sunday night from a 4 day road trip. I left my place in Longview WA, Thursday evening and headed down I-5 to Eugene OR; where I stayed the first night.

Friday Morning I headed south again to Roseburg where I turned off on to highway 138 and headed to central Oregon. Along the way I took a turn off to some lookout near Diamond Lake. After a couple of mile the road went from gravel to snow. My STI has summer tires on it, so I turned around and took this first picture on the way back down. You can see Mt. Bailey in the back ground.

sti-trip_016.jpg

I proceeded back onto the highway until I reached the turn off for Diamond lake. I stopped at the lake and took some pictures there, again that's Mt. Bailey in the background.

sti-trip_036.jpg

sti-trip_038.jpg

sti-trip_049.jpg

This next shot is from a viewpoint about 5 minutes east of the lake. The viewpoint is intended for people to stop and look at Diamond lake but as you can see, you can get a few good shots of Mt. Thielsen.

sti-trip_061.jpg

Okay, from there my plan was to enter Crater Lake National Park from the north entrance but as you can see, there was something in the way.

sti-trip_062.jpg

So I continued east on highway 138 until I reach highway 97; where I headed to Klamath Falls. As some of you know, attended college in Kfalls at Oregon Tech. So I knew of a couple of near by spots to take pictures. These next few shot were taken just north of town, looking out at Upper Klamath Lake and Mt. McLoughlin. I've posted pics from this location before so some of you may recognize this place. I ended up staying the night in town. I met up with a friend from college, had a few beers at a place called Mia & Pia's Pizzeria & Brewhouse. If you ever stop there I suggest their "Ra" ale. It's has a lot of hops in it and makes a typical IPA taste like water. It's also 8% alcohol by volume.

sti-trip_064.jpg

sti-trip_066.jpg

sti-trip_070.jpg

sti-trip_071.jpg

sti-trip_113.jpg

The next morning I continued east along highway 140 towards Lakeview and took a these next two shots along the way. This highway has very few passing areas and you can really appreciate the level of performance that a STI has when trying to get around the slower traffic.

sti-trip_141.jpg

sti-trip_149.jpg

Edited by GLCraig

Part 2

Once I reached Lakeview, I headed north on Highway 395 towards Burns. These next two shots were taken at a point on the map called Valley Falls. As you can see, there's not much there.

sti-trip_161.jpg

sti-trip_164.jpg

After Valley Falls the highway follows along Lake Albet, which is on of the bigger lakes in eastern Oregon. I found a couple of places to stop and take a few more shots.

sti-trip_169.jpg

sti-trip_172.jpg

This next shot if from a rest area that's about an hour north of Lakeview. You are looking in the direction I came from in this shot.

sti-trip_195.jpg

After reaching Burns, I headed east on highway 78 to the junction with highway 95. Now 78 is one of those highways that have a bit of everything. There are some nice long straight sections that are well over 5 miles and there are plenty of twistys too. Here's a couple of pics.

sti-trip_199.jpg

sti-trip_207.jpg

My last stop of the day was at geological landmark call The Pillars of Rome, which is just outside Rome Oregon. The road from Rome to this location is about 5 miles of gravel. There's one nice sharp corner that when I went around it, I added a little left foot braking that swung the back end of the STI around, just right :). Here's a couple of pictures I took our there.

sti-trip_216.jpg

sti-trip_220.jpg

From Rome I headed back to Burns on the same route but this time I had a little more fun. Since I didn't see any patrol officers the first time through, I thought I would see what this STI could do. 110 is not a problem; but the cruise control can not be set above 87 and that was annoying. Once I got back to Burns and check in to my motel room, and I was treated to a nice little thunderstorm.

The next day my plan was to make it to the Delta Cam BBQ in Tacoma Wa before it was over but I also wanted to take the longer route through Eastern Oregon from Burns to Penedleton, then on to Tri-Cities, Yakima, Over Snoqualmie pass, then Highway 18 to I-5. So I didn't take too much time stopping at taking pictures. It took me just over 8 hours and at one point in one of the canyons a Miata had caught-up with me. Well he didn't stay caught-up for long :lol:. Here's one of the pictures that I did take that day. It from down hill side of one of the passes. I believe that community of Seneca is what you are looking at down in the valley.

sti-trip_265.jpg

After the BBQ I went up to Seattle to hang a Zap's place for a while. I left his place a little before 9p.m. and got home sometime after 11p.m

Edited by GLCraig

Sweet, nice pictures... I was wondering what year you bought.

Glad you aren't afraid to get dust on it.

Gonna get all seasons before October rolls around? :confused:

Maybe some studless for the winter :banana:

The tires that is has are okay in the rain and I plan on driving something else in the winter weather.

I had no idea you bought a new STi :eek:

Guess I need to visit New Gen more often.

Great pics, beautiful car. Sorry I missed you at the Delta BBQ.

Okay, from there my plan was to enter Crater Lake National Park from the north entrance but as you can see, there was something in the way.

Stupid gate :grin:

Man this is exactly what I want to do. Within the next few years I want to buy a newer STI wagon or maybe even just a Forester XT and take a nice road trip to see some of the country with my wife and daughter. Very nice pics and awesome car!!! I bet it was and will be fun!!

I still find it funny how things have changed...when I bought my 08 2.5i back in Nov of 07 all I heard was how ugly the car was and how aweful the STi was going to look.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Congrats and welcome to the darkside..I been here almost 2 years now. Just watch your rotors..they are having problems with them warping easy.

I still find it funny how things have changed...when I bought my 08 2.5i back in Nov of 07 all I heard was how ugly the car was and how aweful the STi was going to look.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well Connie, it IS an STi after all...:slobber: Even if some think it is more tame looking compared to previous iterations, its still fast as spit and has to get respect for being what it is, a WRC homologation vehicle.

• 3 months later...