Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trimless RX pics

I just realized that i have not posted any pics of my RX since joining USMB and thought this would be a good time since im doing some work on it.

Im working on removing the side trim from my RX and I still need to fill in the side quarter vent holes and do the drivers side and some finishing body work.

Im just not a fan of the stock side trim :rolleyes:

87SubyRX001.jpg

87SubyRX002.jpg

87SubyRX004.jpg

87SubyRX003.jpg

Are the trim pieces riveted in? If there were rivet or some other kind of attachment hole in the door, what did you use to fill it?

No rivets.

There are plastic tabs on the trim that pop thru the metal.

Can be a pita to remove :-\

Yes, very nice idea.. Looks good on the RX! I guess cause it has the side skirts and bumper fairings and such, now removing the moldings on a stock EA82 might look odd (Too much open space) but might have the same effect.

I hate those plastic tabs, I broke two when I removed them from the old rotted fenders P.I.T.A! :)

Nice job though, keep it up.

-Tom :)

I'm just not a fan of that double back foam tape that runs the length of my trim pieces, on the upper and lower sides in addition to the PITA clips :mad:

style not withstanding, my trim has taken a few hits so the metal didn't have to

I found heating the back of the trim with a heat gun allows you to pop the dents/kinks out of the plastic with a mallet and a block of wood - just thought I'd throw that out there

I found heating the back of the trim with a heat gun allows you to pop the dents/kinks out of the plastic with a mallet and a block of wood - just thought I'd throw that out there

Huh, thats good to know. I always thought there was some metel inside the rubber moldings (Is there?)

-Tom :)

Thanks Guys. :grin:

Im using a wire feed mig to weld the holes shut,grind them down and finish with a skim coat of bondo.

I still need to do the finish sanding on the ones ive done so they looks like bumps right now.

Ill post more pics when i get more done :lol:

• 2 months later...

Did some more work on the RX.Got the rest of the trim holes welded up and finished and got my slimmed down 06 WRX hood scoop mounted :grin: Now i just need to get the IC setup done so the scoop will have something to channel the air too.I want to mold the scoop to the hood so there wont be any gaps around it like right now.

87SubyRX011.jpg[/img]

87SubyRX008.jpg[/img]

• 6 months later...

Havent updated this in awhile and thought i would post up a new pic.

Got my 5 Lug swap done, Using 05 WRX front Brakes,Racing brake stainless front lines, 91 Legacy AWD front axles and hubs, Megan Front coilovers from a 98 RS and the Usual XT6 rear hubs and rotors.

Still need to lower it and cut the ends off the rear axles to get the wheel center caps on,paint it swap it race it Blah blah blah but its always gonna be a work in progress. :banana:

RX.jpg

I like this too, my RX/RS would both look good cleaned up. Funny, when you started this thread I didn't have the RX, now I can see EXACTLY what my car would look like if I did the same thing. Good job, looks really clean that way.