Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Traction Coupe !!

I was gonna drag it home w/ my d.d. cause the p.o. made it sound like it would barely run. No tools necessary, it drove (slowly) home on its own!

picture.php?albumid=154&pictureid=1471

picture.php?albumid=154&pictureid=1469

58K original miles w/ documents all the way back to purchase. It needs some work, mostly w/ the brakes, the smoking turbo (?), and some cosmetics. Interior is perfect w/ electric windows and a broken digi-dash.

So, I'm trying to figure out the oil leak / smoke / reportedly dead turbo issue.

There's a pretty fast oil leak from the (inlet) oil line going to the turbo on the top. It's called a 'union bolt'. Is this a part I need to order from the dealership? Anyone have experience with this part? It looks like the oil is dripping on the exhaust, so I think this will be an easy fix.

Can someone tell me how to determine the condition of the turbo?

I'm trying to figure out where to get a replacement screw:

It's called the 'union screw' and connects the oil line to the turbo. Is this a part I need to get from the dealership or is it common enough to get at a parts store?

picture.php?albumid=154&pictureid=1473

It's the one that connects through the oil line and into the turbo unit.

Its called a banjo fitting.

The bolt has a hole thru have a brassit for the oil.

It should also have a brass washer on both sides of the bolt.

This might be causing the leaking if one is missing.

The only way to find out if the turbo is any good is to open both ends and check for shaft play.

Well, it looks like the hard line has a hole in it. Furthermore, it looks like this EA81T never got the recall cooling upgrade for the turbo. I suspect the turbo is indeed dead.

Perhaps I'll go to the dealership to demand the factory recall !

How do I order a replacement hardline w/ the necessary fittings? Or, can anyone recommend a 'band-aid' fix for a small hole on the oil line, (like jb weld . .) ?

• 1 month later...

So I put it all together and ran the engine until it was warm. Once it is warmed up it smokes from the turbo (not a surprise) and from the bottom of the pass. side valve cover which is my concern. The turbo definitely is leaking oil internally b/c there IS a little oil in the intake.

I'm not sure what the deal might be with the valve cover leak, never seen that before. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? I DO have new valve cover gaskets somewhere that wouldn't be hard to install, but I'm not sure that seems like the culprit here.

Should I be looking for a replacement EA81T and/or a wrecked wrx here?

So, you're saying that it's not totally abnormal to see smoke coming from a dead valve cover gasket?

Thanks, I'll do the switch on that. I seem to recall you (GD) mentioning that coating the cork gasket in permatex black and letting it sit overnight is your preferred method, right?

So, you're saying that it's not totally abnormal to see smoke coming from a dead valve cover gasket?

Thanks, I'll do the switch on that. I seem to recall you (GD) mentioning that coating the cork gasket in permatex black and letting it sit overnight is your preferred method, right?

Ultra Grey is what I use, but black would work as well. You may be seeing blow-by gasses if the leak is really bad.

GD