Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to: Incressing Boxer rumble? (EA82)

Did anyone suggest replaceing the resoner with a glasspack.

what do you think a resonator basically is?

i always use a turbo muffler on my scoobs. my lifted wagon has one on it right now.

what i have found is that having a unequal length header i gained low end torque. then when i swapped out to the equal length it moved the power to the right and i gained more on top end power.

what i always use is a Thrush turbo muffler, 2 1/4inch offset inlet and center outlet seems to work/fit best. and gives a nice rumble.

the only way to get it louder is, 1) increase pipe diameter, 2) remove cats/resonator, 3) free flowing muffler.

oh and carfreak, flowmaster mufflers are all chambered, not a flow through design like a turbo muffler or magnaflow. yes they give a nice rumble but they are not very efficient on flow compared to a flow through.

Niku, yea I'm thinking it'll do the job. Yep a case of Miller will be payment Hehe.

AGAIN, I can NOT use a Glasspack due to state laws. btw the Resonater has fiberglass in it!? I thought it would be simular to the Cat (Platinum) huh didn't know that.

The Scooby, Yep I went with the Cherry Bomb Turbo, 2" in/out offset, center outlet. only $32.96. I think this will give me just what I'm looking for! Maybe even a few more HPs, We'll see.

Thank you all so much for helping me out, Glad I found something that'll work.

-Tom

Yay! I just got my Cherry Bomb Turbo today :banana: Looks good, can't wait to gett'er on! the part number is 7703 if anyone is interested for whatever reason.

I'll snap a picture of it tomorrow (Later today) I just need to think on how to weld it, dunno if I need like an adaptor type peice of pipe that go's from 1-7/8" or whatever the pipe size is, into a 2" so I can weld, heck, the stock pipe on my muffler looks pretty big (Almost 2") so I might be able to weld the new muffler to it with out a pipe adaptor thing...?

Hmm!!

-Tom :)

Can a resoner rattle like a cat.

Im not old but at 29 years old sometimes i dont want to hear the horroble rattling my car made when it had no muffler.

Ben, YES big time!! That's why I replaced my mid-pipe. I was so tired of hearing it at stop lights lol.

-Tom

What did you replace it with.

Brand new mid-pipe from the dealership, even comes with a full heat sheild now days (Says Subaru on it Hehe) total was like $280 IIRC. plus, it gave the car better pick-up/response and it brang out the deep rumble way more then the cheep replacemet someone used..

Looks like I'm gonna need a new down-pipe/cat section soon. Next year I'm hoping. Cause the passenger side down-pipe cracked off and away from the cat. So I have to braze it this weekend. Its pretty loud and kinda sounds like crap (To much air sound) Still will always sound better then a ricer! :headbang: My mom likes how it sounds now (Badass) LOL.

-Tom

To bad you guys have emissions up there tom, they let us get away with murder down here with that stuff. Yea my midpipe is rattling but i think ill replace it with either a straight pipe or a cherry bomb. As long as it doesnt get to much louder i dont mind. The really bad part is i think my cat is rattling also. I wont know until this weekend. I need to check my rear diff for fluid, check the passenger side rear wheel (has play) and the cat or resoner for noise. Might be getting a new wagon soon but shhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont tell.

Lets get some facts straight here.

2. The one and only *reason* that Subaru engines and other boxer's have a "rumble" to them is that they have a small number of cylinders (more widely spaced exhaust pulses) and as Carfreak pointed out - almost all of them have unequal length headers due to the cost and complexity of producing EL headers for such an engine design. The gains are small from EL header design's (on the order of 25 HP for a 300 HP turbocharged engine for example - gains are much smaller even for NA engines).

GD

The "rumble" is not due to the boxer engine design - it's due to the unequal length headers Subaru uses. This also decreases power - so more rumble = less power. You can make it louder - just lose the muffler. I run straight pipe on my lifted wagon - stock exhaust. It's not that loud..... but I don't drive it every day either.

GD

General Disorder, I have to respectfully disagree with you here on a couple of points.

Point #1: More rumble does not mean less power (than stock I believe we are talking here). An unequal length Borla header on a Subaru was dyno proven to make more horsepower and torque than stock and at the same time make the 'Boxer rumble' more pronounced or noticable. I have a set on my Outback Sport and love the sound. I have no dyno before and after though. The power that is made on an unequal length header may not be significant but it is not an actual loss. The small gain with the 'boxer' rumble may be the ticket for some people instead of a larger gain without the rumble.

Some References:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f5/t24257-headers-borla-vs-techworks-twe.html#post405524

"I have a story for you guys...

We have a customer that built an n/a car.(AWDSub) He bought TechWorks cylinder heads: Stage2 SOHC cams, Ti valve spring/retainers, Stage1 port/polish, 5 angle valve job w/ new valves.

After the new heads, the car had awesome torque. The seat of the pants feel was great. Matt was satisfied.

He went to the drag races and found he had improved by only .2 sec! The car felt strong, but the 1/4 mile time said no improvement.

We swapped out the Borla headermag-glass_10x10.gif for a TechWorks header. No other mods. 1/4 mile times went from 15.2 to 14 flat!!!

The TechWorks header is equal length. That is the main difference. Keith from TechWorks described the Borla 'Blub' sound as "the sound of slow"!! The VW sound is great for low end, but the flow at the top end is terrible. Ever heard a Porsche make the VW 'blub' noise??? NO!!

Bottom line: Borla makes 6.5lb ft of torque@ the wheels(we dyno tested), and 2whp.on an otherwise stock car. The TechWorks header makes top end power(as yet not officially dyno tested on a stock car by RalliTEK Subaru). We found 22whp by changing the header (no re-tuning) on Matt's modded RS.

Borla - sounds cool, makes low end torque, hold back power on the top end

TechWorks(TWE) - smooth equal length sound, lots of power gain mid/top end."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675868&highlight=borla+cobb+dyno

"For comparison purposes we dyno tested the latest generation Borla header with the Random Tech cat using their newest high-flowing Metallic Substrate cat. Measured between 2000 RPM to 6000 RPM, sampling every 100 RPM, the COBB header setup produced +9.4 HP on average and +12.7 ft-lbs of torque on average. The Borla/Random combo produced only +5.5HP on average and +6.9 ft-lbs of torque on average. This represents a 71% higher average HP gain and an 84% higher average torque gain with the COBB header compared to the Borla/Random combo.

The highest gains recorded with our header were +14.7 HP and +17.5 ft-lbs torque. Nowhere in the power band did we find a reduction in performance. In fact, low-end torque was significantly improved. At 2000 RPM, our header is making +16 ft-lbs of torque compared to stock. FWIW, the Borla/Random combo produces +1.9 ft-lbs at 2000 RPM. In fact, from 2000-4000 RPM, our header showed an average torque increase of +13.5 ft-lbs whereas the Borla/Random combo showed an average torque increase of +6.5 ft-lbs. This represents a 107% higher average torque with our header compared to the Borla/Random combo in the portion of the powerband we use the most."

Edited by Myxalplyx

• 4 weeks later...
You can make it louder - just lose the muffler. I run straight pipe on my lifted wagon - stock exhaust. It's not that loud..... but I don't drive it every day either.

GD

I was running mine that way for a couple of months--had to fix it for emissions but I loved the sound :headbang: !!! I don't know if it actually is any more powerful that way, but the extra growl sure makes it feel faster than its normal 91 horses of fury.

The small gain with the 'boxer' rumble may be the ticket for some people instead of a larger gain without the rumble.

Very nice info - but it makes no difference to this thread as we are talking about EA's and no one makes tuned aftermarket headers for the N/A EA's. You are also talking about an order-of-magnitude more power from the EJ's - 160+ HP engine compared to one making 90 HP stock.... the gains would be so insignificant even if you did build one and flow-test/dyno it that it wouldn't be worth your time. Further, anything that hasn't been dyno'd and tested WILL be a loss. Take your car to Joe's exhaust shop and tell him you want a custom header - you won't get a gain out of it I assure you.

GD

• 2 years later...
(Can't run those in WI, due to they get old and start shooting hot fiberglass out so I've heard)

-Tom

Nonsense! Dont know where you got that idea from, but it is pure nonsense.

I ran the round red cherrybombs on Hildy with zero issues (other than rust thru after about 4 or 5 yrs) for about 7 years.

Currently running the Cherry Bomb brand Turbo muffler on the Legacy, and I like it. Has the "rumble" under throttle, but not so loud that you get a headache when driving for extended periods. :headbang:

both styles are available at Mills Fleet Farm for around $25-35 give or take.

Nonsense! Dont know where you got that idea from, but it is pure nonsense.

I ran the round red cherrybombs on Hildy with zero issues (other than rust thru after about 4 or 5 yrs) for about 7 years.

Currently running the Cherry Bomb brand Turbo muffler on the Legacy, and I like it. Has the "rumble" under throttle, but not so loud that you get a headache when driving for extended periods. :headbang:

both styles are available at Mills Fleet Farm for around $25-35 give or take.

I put a cherry bomb on the trashwagon trying to restore the torque from having no muffler, It is mounted at the center section. It is improved, but still getting just better than 15 mpg with the borla replica header. maybe it needs another one at the tailpipe, the tres are too big, or the engine is just tired.

I never had an issue with torque after I fixed the IAC and MAF. I was cruising at 105mph before I sold it to you, the car still have power. It could be the larger tires with the 4:11 gearing, but I think it does just fine for a 4EAT.

This thread is pretty old lol. What I would do, and am planning to do with my EA82 and EA81, would be make my own Mid-pipe out of 2.25" tubing, then ad an 18" resonator, run it out to the bumper and flare it up to 2.5" and that should have a nice deep rumble with no rasp.

Would 2.25 lose some back pressure?

Im thinking custom exhaust...

Im already at stock exhaust to a 2.5" glasspack and Im... loud to say the least... but I love it. It is time for a change though, which is why Im thinking with the rebuilt SPFI EA82 with the carb manifold Ill probably get a 2" exhaust to a 2.5" glasspack and then run a flowmaster/magnaflow muffler behind it (to keep it in respectable ranges :banana: ) and call it good.

All your back pressure is coming from the Header which is stock 1-7/8" after that, open it up, gain some flow and some growl.

Would 2.25 lose some back pressure?

Im thinking custom exhaust...

Im already at stock exhaust to a 2.5" glasspack and Im... loud to say the least... but I love it. It is time for a change though, which is why Im thinking with the rebuilt SPFI EA82 with the carb manifold Ill probably get a 2" exhaust to a 2.5" glasspack and then run a flowmaster/magnaflow muffler behind it (to keep it in respectable ranges :banana: ) and call it good.

All your back pressure is coming from the Header which is stock 1-7/8" after that, open it up, gain some flow and some growl.

Well I wanted to keep it a secret... but I plan on having a custom UEL made for Ned... about 2" if I can and then clear back to the 2.5" glasspack and then a flowmaster muffler...

but Im going with a slight compression bump... going SPFI EA82 under my carb manifold with torque cams... hopefully thatll give my EA82 some real growl... and some power behind that growl