Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Traction aids!

CaptEditor

I am cross posting this from SubaruOutback.org for additional response!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20286

What do you guys bring with you for traction aids? Please specify how/where you have used them and how well they worked. (mud, snow, loose gravel, etc.)

Let's rate them from 1 to 5 unless someone objects. :-P

Also state your tires and year/model!

-Kevin

Edited by CaptEditor

I'll start:

Aid: Old Towel

Rating:4

Tires: Grabber AT2's 215/65R16

Model: 2004 Subaru Outback Wagon

Conditions: snow drift on a dirt road, I was following ATV tracks

I used a towel when I got stuck in a snow drift. I wasn't entirely stuck, but my wagon kept sliding sideways toward a small tree whenever I accelerated forward.

I cleared a bit of the snow from around the rocker panels and in front of the tires. I then placed the old towel down in front of my passenger rear tire, the side that wanted to go towards the tree. I placed the auto transmission in 1 and slowly went forward and straight out of the 'stuck' area.

I was surprised at how well it worked, however I have only tried it this one time. I usually have an old towel or two in the back since I have 3 dogs.

P1030872.JPG

P1030880.JPG

P1030886.JPG

P1030893.JPG

P1030895.JPG

P1030896.JPG

Yes, I forgot to pack a shovel, too. :-P

-Kevin

Ive always liked a welded rear diff and mud tires. Also having a another vehicle with you to pull you out is the best.Or a winch...

I don't have many friends, so I wheel alone. :lol:

I see you're from Idaho, I'm looking at possibly moving to Moscow next year. How do you like the area?

-Kevin

I am cross posting this from SubaruOutback.org for additional response!

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20286

What do you guys bring with you for traction aids? Please specify how/where you have used them and how well they worked. (mud, snow, loose gravel, etc.)

Let's rate them from 1 to 5 unless someone objects. :-P

Also state your tires and year/model!

-Kevin

AIR DOWN

drop the pressure down to 15 Lbs in the tires go lower if need be , good for Sand and other

I found myself using the following quite often with street (A/T) tires:

5 foot section of chain link fence and a couple short lengths of 2x4

Dig yourself out as best as possible, then begin your self recovery.

2x4 goes under the fencing. Tires grip the links and voila, unstuck.

Roll the wood inside the fencing and secure with a tie-down when not in use.

Although, since i got my Mud-Terrains, i don't really get stuck.

Low Range and M/T tires, for the win.

I see you're from Idaho, I'm looking at possibly moving to Moscow next year. How do you like the area?

-Kevin

put an add on craigslist for people to wheel with.Visit your local 4x4 store,etc. find someone to wheel with.

I got stuck once and had to stay out there till about 3 in the morning.It sucked.especially because I had homework to do and class was at 7:30 the next day. it was last august(08) so it was still warm and it wasnt to bad.If its the winter though getting stuck and not having someone to pull you out could mean life or death. seriously.

As for liking the area, its great. there are nearby mountains, plenty of fishing, climate is "ok".kinda wierd though, triple digit temps in the summer(moscow is 10-20* cooler than lewiston, because lewiston is in a "bowl") then negative temps in the winter.

Moscow gets alot of snow in the winter,In lewiston its a pretty safe bet to run just all seasons year round.Moscow snow tires of some sort are manditory.

If I had money I would move to moscow because I love SNOW!!!I love driving it,love drifting in it,etc...If however snow is not your fortay, lewiston gets maybe 4" of snow a year.

don't really know much more to talk about right now...

-Kevin

Where did you find all that snow in Cali?

I've never heard of Rough and Ready.

I'm a former resident of the San Bernadino Mts. Lk Arrowhead/Big Bear.

I lived in Wyoming the past year, so I understand about life and death in the winter! I love snow and it's easier to bundle up tha try to keep cool most of the time (except swimming at the river).

Those pics are from Wyoming. I really miss it there! Rough and Ready is a historic mining town in the Sierra Nevada foothills. It is near to Grass Valley and Nevada City. If you don't know where that is, it's north of Auburn. :) We usually don't get more than a dusting here but every once in a while we get dumped. those 10-15 year storms. The unique thing about the Sierra Nevada ranges is just how much snow they can get at once. There are certainly more snowy parts of the country, but when it snows in these mountains it really SNOWS and it is wet snow, too. Although, the snow line is usually just above my elevation and between Grass Valley and Nevada City.

Moscow looks like a great place and my kind of place! I'm excited, but I've got to get accepted to the university there and prepare to move first.

-Kevin

-Kevin

i find a couple of pieces of 2x6 with some small 2x4's nailed to the backside of them making a sort of ramp works well, if you encounter mud.....that you can power through......fallen branches,sticks,rocks, are all out there.....stripped willow, or other barks can be good fro tying things together to lay under the tires.....etc....cheers, brian

a puertorican friend with a 93 Subaru impreza awd 5door and a chain is what I carry with me to the mud trails lol.

Plywood, 2x6's, Take some 2x6's and notch them with a circular saw about 1/2" deep, by 1/2" wide, every 3 inches. Then knock the notches out with a chisel. Those work good. also, you can use an array of household items.

Also, Never go off roading without a good high lift jack, had my 3ton save me plenty of times on the trail, and my stock scissor jack wont always get high enough to slide plywood under a wheel.

AIR DOWN

drop the pressure down to 15 Lbs in the tires go lower if need be , good for Sand and other

Yup.

Carry a 12v compressor and go for the flotation.

Scoobyclimbs and I went blasting around last winter and found ourselves in a bit of a bad spot. Even the strap was not going so well. We both aired down to 15 and drove right out of the holes we dug. Amazing what lower tire pressure can do.

But I also carry 4 chunks of 3/4" plywood about a footand a half long and 8 inches wide for sand and snow. Generaly don't carry then otherwise though.

They work best in sand, need some "lugs" on 'em to get some grip with the tires for snow though.

I've heard that cat litter is good for some grip in icy spots.

I carry these fold out traction aids. It folds out into a kind of flexible ladder, has teeth on one side, and you put one end under the tire. I have 4 of them, and they work amazingly well. Snow, mud, you name it, the things can help the car walk out. Unfortantely, you can only buy them by the case from a company up in quebec.

I think I used my winch on other peoples trucks more than I ever used it to pull the wagon out.