Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I've been working on some projectors for my legacy :brow:

1-88.jpg

2-49.jpg

Looking good! Are those the morimito (however it's spelled) mini projectors?

I have the JDM projector lights in my 2nd gen now, but I want to take the stock lights and do this. Because it just looks so damn awesome.

Looking good! Are those the morimito (however it's spelled) mini projectors?

I have the JDM projector lights in my 2nd gen now, but I want to take the stock lights and do this. Because it just looks so damn awesome.

I picked up a kit, came with hid's as well. I picked 4300k's, they offered some more, but after doing a bit of researching I think they will fit my driving the best. I'm hoping the cut off is decent. I don't want to be blinding anyone. I'm waiting for my glass to get done in my GL, and then I can test them. These also have angle eyes which I intend to hook up to my parking lights. :popcorn:

1-87.jpg

New red Bosch plug wires for Blue, searching for a new head for Red. Had a stupid moment and shocked my wrench with a hammer to loosen a bolt for the head.. wrench took out the stud just above it that holds the valve cover on. Insult to injury, both bolts on both heads are still firmly in place, but at least the head I damaged had a broken bolt in it for the intake manifold, courtesy of the last owner.

PCV layout is as USMB recommended, although I am still pulling some oil out of the crankcase. Pressure is just below red when I start up and start driving but levels out after I have been driving awhile.. any ideas?

New red Bosch plug wires for Blue, searching for a new head for Red. Had a stupid moment and shocked my wrench with a hammer to loosen a bolt for the head.. wrench took out the stud just above it that holds the valve cover on. Insult to injury, both bolts on both heads are still firmly in place, but at least the head I damaged had a broken bolt in it for the intake manifold, courtesy of the last owner.

PCV layout is as USMB recommended, although I am still pulling some oil out of the crankcase. Pressure is just below red when I start up and start driving but levels out after I have been driving awhile.. any ideas?

Are you measuring oil pressure by the gauge on the dash?

That gauge is crap. If it moves, that means you have oil pressure. Think of it as the oil idiot light turning off. It's not useful for much more than that.

That's not the proper way to get a head bolt out. Head bolts are pretty stretchy and bendy. If you try to impact them out, they won't come out. They'll probably break off with enough impact abuse.

You need to get them out using constant pressure. Like a breaker bar.

Quite right. Impatience got the best of me.. stores were closed and I didnt want to wait to borrow one. On further inspection it appears the head is fine other than the intake bolt.. the broken piece is actually a rocker arm supporter. Just need to track one of those down.

My Victor gasket set came in as well, although it is tagged as Stone/Ishida. The cylinder head gaskets are stamped as Fuji though, so I am satisfied.

brought my '84 GL into the shop for some work. One of the rear wheel bearings has been making noise for a bit. And shoes have been wearing funny. Bad cylinders.

So both rear hubs got some love today.

New rear wheel bearings, seals, brake cylinders, shoes, and treated the rear end to synthetic gear oil. Adjusters were torn apart and serviced. A bit of house cleaning as well. Backing plate was removed, blasted, and repainted. Drums got a fresh coat of caliper paint. Shocks were removed and repainted as well. :headbang:

RUrbrake01.jpg

RUrbrake02.jpg

Those lights are awesome. I really need to do that with my black 2nd gen.

Let's see, what have I done today... Put expensive gas in my car... Stupid gas prices. stop going up

Changed the rear diff oil trying to make a noise go away.

Wished it was 15 deg out so I could wash the nasty salt off my car.

Those lights are awesome. I really need to do that with my black 2nd gen.

Let's see, what have I done today... Put expensive gas in my car... Stupid gas prices. stop going up

Changed the rear diff oil trying to make a noise go away.

Wished it was 15 deg out so I could wash the nasty salt off my car.

Thanks! I'll be making a DIY on them at some point. I love them I just got them into the car. I wanted to wash mine today as well :horse: 3* makes it kind of hard to do things outside.

6-16.jpg

2-53.jpg

^

^

That ought to get you pulled over for impersonating a emergency vehicle.

And, you have no light output when they are blue like that.

Better carry a flashlight so you can see at night.

He said he was doing 4300k, that's just a tad more blue than halogens.

He also said it was 3 deg out. He probably just turned them on, and they haven't warmed up yet.

HIDs are quite blue and dim when they're cold. When it's really cold out they can take a minute or two to come up to temperature.

^

^

That ought to get you pulled over for impersonating a emergency vehicle.

And, you have no light output when they are blue like that.

Better carry a flashlight so you can see at night.

He said he was doing 4300k, that's just a tad more blue than halogens.

He also said it was 3 deg out. He probably just turned them on, and they haven't warmed up yet.

HIDs are quite blue and dim when they're cold. When it's really cold out they can take a minute or two to come up to temperature.

Yep they are completely adjustable using the stock adjusters. They are 4300k I wasn't going to do 8000k or something crazy like that. They are supposed to be white so I'm hoping once they warm up they calm down a bit. The whole purpose of this has been to gain light output at night not loose it. I did quite a bit of research before making them.

Edited by 1982gl4

Ok I could have spoke/poked too soon.

So, you have to wait how long to warm up them before they can be useful?

-That doesn't seem very beneficial.

Why not spend the dough and get some EDM from germany glass lensed units?

- that is the best way to get good light upgrade.

Edited by bheinen74

That's cool the adjustments still work. Nothing pisses me off more than some schmuck who did a terrible job installing HIDs (usually in reflectors) and blinds me in the dark...

I'd probably do 5000k or 5500k on mine. I have 6000k in my JDM projectors now, and it's too blue. Wouldn't say I lost output over halogens, but definitely didn't gain any.

Ya, 4300k is pretty warm compared to the majority of HIDs on the road. I think pure white is closer to 5000k.

1982gl4: Mind taking a pic when they're warm? I'm very interested in doing the same mod to my GLW.

Sure thing! I'm taking them out later tonight to see how they do :cool: