Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats the deal with 1st Subaru?

I believe 1st subaruparts is now run by Walker Subaru in Renton Washington. Seems there in-person service reputation has finally gone to the internet as well.

Go direct with either Jamie at Chaplins(http://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/ ) or Jason at Scarff( 1-866-528-5282 ). You will need to ask for internet pricing when talking to Jason. Both are very good at what they do. Both will provide you with excellent customer service and prompt shipping

I believe 1st subaruparts is now run by Walker Subaru in Renton Washington. Seems there in-person service reputation has finally gone to the internet as well.

Go direct with either Jamie at Chaplins(http://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/ ) or Jason at Scarff( 1-866-528-5282 ). You will need to ask for internet pricing when talking to Jason. Both are very good at what they do. Both will provide you with excellent customer service and prompt shipping

nice thanks for the info.. i need this one..

Edited by Qman

+1 for both providers mentioned.

The only time i had a problem was when the subaru computer parts system pointed every door trim peice to a front fender part. It was a computer glitch. I called them and they said "wow this isnt right, let me call you right back". in ten minutes they called me back and explained that the issue was the sooby part computer. they apologized, paid for the return of the part, shipped me the new parts, ate the difference in cost.

The parts took a little longer then i liked, but due to the computer glitch they had to manually order (talk to a human) and hand process the order.

It was just a trim part. The real way to know how good a place is is when something goes wrong and how it is handled. I thought they handled it well.

Give them a call and see what is going on, they don't mind.

nipper

I emailed them. I'd expect some kind of answer Monday. I ordered the parts a while back... they haven't billed my card yet, but the last time I bought from them it was on my door step so fast I couldn't believe it. That was the right control arm, (2007) this is -ahem- the left side (2009) :rolleyes:

I believe they used to also have 1stvwparts. I never had luck buying VW or Subaru parts from them. They were the only online Subaru OEM vendor that I had tried.

If you do enough Suby work your dealer parts dept will treat you decent. And with no shipping and getting the parts quicker.

If you do enough Suby work your dealer parts dept will treat you decent. And with no shipping and getting the parts quicker.

Granted working with the local dealer directly is the quickest way, but the internet discount is significant and more than makes up for shipping costs and a longer wait when time is not an issue.

Granted working with the local dealer directly is the quickest way, but the internet discount is significant and more than makes up for shipping costs and a longer wait when time is not an issue.

Depends on the dealer - mine gives me local shop prices (they call it "cash wholesale) which are comparable. It's about dead even after shipping so I just deal with my local dealer instead. There's just no big win for ordering online. And the more business you take to them - they more they see your face, etc - the cheaper the parts get. With a local dealer it's about building a relationship which isn't effective for a lot of folks either because they do too little business with them or because their dealer parts department is staffed by asses or those who are not friendly to your vintage.

GD

Depends on the dealer - mine gives me local shop prices (they call it "cash wholesale) which are comparable. It's about dead even after shipping so I just deal with my local dealer instead.

+1 to all of that.

i order online a good bit. but i also get stuff locally as needed and that option is prone to fewer issues. fairly sure i've had glitches with all the popular online places at least once. nothing that would make me not buy from them again, but i'm not easily worried about stuff like that and time is rarely an issue for me. the dealer doesn't accidentally overcharge, give me the wrong part, not ship everything, delay shipping, etc, all things i've had happen with the online vendors. if anything happens at a dealer it's far easier to resolve.

if i'm in a time constraint, dealer is the least riskiest option.

but i still buy online all the time, it's well worth it and the well known places on here are easy to deal with.

if I can't get 1st to nail down a date, I'll cancel the order and go local

I don't know why I hadn't actually considered that :confused:

they might not honor the lower prices locally, but it's worth a shot to ask. I think if you go in like you know what your'e talking about verses look like you're trying to save a buck you'll have the best odds but it's certainly up to the dealer. I imagine in high volume subaru areas it's more likely as they're used to it - giving discounts to lots of local garages.

If you order with Jason or Jamie your order will be there the next day, maybe second. Unless the part is back ordered. Which may be the case with 1st. Let me know how it goes. I have contacts in Subaru corporate that would love to know this type of thing is happening.

Yea, I ordered an EJ22 gasket set from them last spring. I was less than ecstatic about the communication. But right about when I was getting really worried, my check card was charged, and the online status changed to "shipped". I think I even got a tracking number.

I suspect they order it to their dealership, and then ship from there. so anything that's not in stock might have to wait awhile before it goes out. I just wish they would TELL you that at some point.

Got an email today, one part was holding the order up. It is supposed to ship Wednesday. Not clear which part was so obscure, they have very low shipping so I don't mind that it was held rather than sent in multiple packages - it isn't time critical.

On the other hand their website does not appear to function quite right, the link they sent in the email goes to a 'moved page error' and it gets circular and convoluted form there. The end result is that the 'account/order status' link can be found on the home page, it lets you log in but it does not seem to have any way to actually view your order and takes you back to the log in screen, roundy roundy.

I used different browsers, script permissions and allowed third party cookie handling exceptions... kind of silly to send a link in the email that doesn't actually uh... link.

The point made here, that going local might be best, is a damn good point.