Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retro GL-10 TURBO build

Nico

WOW!!! that sounds/looks great!:cool::clap:

its not bad, so far so good

:clap::headbang::banana: the time is near! There needs to be alot of videos of this thing!

I hope those dump pipes dont't cook that c/v boot:-\

LOL yep it sure has been to long a hole summer with out speed is no good !!

but you think they will melt even that far away ? i guess i could make them more away but the pic dont give it the right space i guess. guess will have to test it out and see

Im not sure, but if they're wrapped it will probably be ok. I dont think the boot would melt but it might get hot enough to mess with the vulcanization and make the boot more brittle

Will just wait and see what happens I'll wrap them also

honestly, i would worry about the axle snapping before the boot melts(especially with brand new boots). I didnt realize you were using the ea axles still!

So true lol... Yep for some reason ea fwd ones that came out the car fit the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTQCAceEuBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by Nico

• 2 weeks later...

so the muffler on the car is really ************ty sounding like raspy fart can that is so loud. it makes the car look and sound like garboo !

Franz gave me a link to some mad muffler people that don't F around in this department in building a car ! its not cheap but it sure is for life. these exhaust open up, when it wears out then you buy a new core. its high quality no messing around ************ ! o and its light weight good god !! this italian salami weights more then the muffler

s-milanoz.jpg

Aerospace Hardware & Fasteners

muffler_pieces.gif

7947064872_8a2a0114b6_b.jpg

7947065940_7de328de7c_b.jpg

my 2x ealr's coolers for my awic system that will be put in once the water reservoir comes in.

E4AE43A2-B623-4C60-910E-027BBADB69C7-1452-000000A079C79016.jpg

and my father made me a nice aluminm battery bracket to make space for the intercooler water tank. battery is on the strut tower wall now like a boss.

6CCFE91F-3DDD-447F-9EA7-CC249C7111E0-1452-0000009FCBEAB40E.jpg

552AF81B-92DA-43A0-A3E8-9A8A18542F4C-1452-0000009FC20B8CD3.jpg

maybe a aim cluster ???? (mount it in the glove box) but so i can watch EVERY SINGLE thing going on in the motor section lol right Dov lol.

7947089838_8ed929faf9_b.jpg

fits nice if i do get it.

7947092372_15c6c15ba7_b.jpg

Edited by Nico

The suspense is killing me!!!!!!

lol what suspense ? if everything goes well this week its dyno tune time. just waiting on one last part and its broken in ready for the dyno.

i put about 3000kms on the new motor so it feels great hit boost a couple times and its really scary something is going to snap like the shafts for sure. if shafts dont snap, its going to lay some serious rubber smoke down.

very hard to control under boost but it hugs the corners like its on rails way better then my legacy or gc ever did.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

waaaay awesome Nico. glad to see a project that involved get finished. needs a factory luggage rack on the decklid though, then itll drive upside down

LOL i think a wagon would look good with the rack up there hahah. but thank for the compliments she is all most done. version 1 is all ways the hardest but version 2 will be even better.

well water box is in, its so well made its crazy to put it in there but it must.

gave Donny the inch and boom he makes it up fast quick and pressure tested.

http://dadscustomintercoolertank.com/

8008354945_972b6378f8_b.jpg

8008356269_90127efa7e_b.jpg

8008363008_00148cdfe8_b.jpg

8008357333_55e8b4c0ea_b.jpg

That is really nice, I need a Tig welder :clap:

Wow the rest of the car turned out great as well. bravo!

ya he does amazing work, ill get him to do my net set up for sure in the future.

alright, when is the dyno video coming? =P

X20000

Can't wait to hear the numbers!

ill try and push but i got a bit of work to do after this week has past

well Franz has come and gone and it was a busy time while he was here. i had a couple problems that i need to fix to make it work right. so i could not get my dyno time :(

My grocery list !

1... i need to cut vents in the hood because this subaru intake temps are way to hot ! :firedevil:

2... i need to make a safety strap on the drive shaft, also add a little better support on the rear diff so it does not end up on the tarmac !

3.... move my water coolers in a better place

what we have now is a 17psi road tune that to be honest is just crazy to even go to 25psi how fast this car is right now. i am kind of glad i didn't get all the power at once its a tricky car to drive that's for sure.

once i fix the problems then 25psi dyno tune will be done, ill push for the end of the season but no promise its getting late and the car needs to be put away soon.

Franz pictures

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Kicking myself for not being able to see this car when I was in Burlington......Dang.

Such a beautiful job.

no worries, when you come back up any time its not going any where just getting better lol

That Subie is awesome! :headbang:

Nice pics too, I think I found a new wallpaper.:D

:) glad you like it

forget the dyno, take that thing to the drag strip and see what it will do :clap:

What a perfect sleeper.

lol its funny you say that.... my buddy had just finshed his 86 stang with about the same power level, if my gas tank did not split like a pop can i was going to last week drag him on wednesday. if my tank comes in tomorrow ill head to the track ready to give it a go 86 vs 86

Your Subie looks Precious!!! ... icon14.gif ... I Really Like it and the Clean EJ Swap job done; also I Like the Aluminium tanks, does fit Perfect the Engine Bay.

Could I Ask more info about the Battery Relocation?

Does the car still has a Working A/C? ... because I see the Lines...

Kind Regards.

thank you, yes the tanks fit perfect no mods done just make brackets and done.

about the a/c yes i had it working but just took it out becuase i need to move more air and more room for a better cooler. i put it away so when ever i want it back i can drop it in again.

Best subaru ever.

lol thank you !!

He used a compact lithium battery - go to post #146 - not really relocated.

yep

so in order to lower my intake temps with out cutting my hood i sacrificed my a/c system :( .

by getting rid of the a/c system i gained just about 20 degrees off the 60 degree iat temp, out side temp is 20 degree.

i just could not cut the hood with out trying the last step, a massive awic cooler (26x7x2). if this does not cool my intake then i am busting the saw out and going to town on the stock hood or the brand new OEM one i have laying around that i picked up for this problem.

5FB5EBDE-D6EE-43AE-933B-DAB6AF81F6B3-1023-00000017FA26EFC4.jpg

so as of now car runs good at 17psi i am a drifter out of control with awd lol. my gas tank sprung a leak do to the vent line sensor not working should have un plugged it like i did for my legacy ! instead it split it self down the side of the tank like a pop can.

a new OEM subaru one is on its way so i can put more then 10bucks in the car and make my way to see Franz and get it tuned on the dyno by the end of this fall weather.

42F56E00-E2B6-4AF0-A0A8-61632B02E3BA-1023-00000018011EAA43.jpg

Ok, I've gone through this thread thrice now, but I don't see how you did it. What did you do to get that 6 speed in there? From what I have read, the 6 speed is too large for the tranny tunnel, but you squeezed it in there. How?

lol, the 6mt fit becuase i lowered the motor 1 inch and a half, also the tranny is a 1 inch and a half lower.

i used forester spacers up front on the motor subframe shaved them down to 1 inch and a half. for the tranny i used the xt6 brace up front with the spacers from the gl-10 fwd plus rubber to make it more noise less. also the middle section on the tranny brace is xt6 with the rear is a cut and weld xt6 bracket.

ill take pics but everything i used is subaru parts spacers and rubbers.

need to change my gas tank soon and ill update for you with pics on what i did, its very simple.