Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have not had the pleasure of personally changing the oil on my 1997 Legacy m/t GT wagon. I usually take it to the local quick lube place. Today I decided to put it up on jack stands for the first time and do it myself. When I removed the drain plug, I noticed something on the threads that looked like plumber's teflon tape. The tape(?) came out easily. I'm not sure if the orange looking rubbery washer was behind or in front of the flat metallic washer. It is obviously deformed and I'm not sure if it even belongs there. See right side of photo below.

Oil-drain-plug-gasket.jpg

I went to my local Napa store to get a replacement gasket and was shown two different choices for replacement. One was the fiber washer shown on the left of the picture which I bought. The other one was a metallic washer (not in the picture) which was slightly curved on one side on flat on the other side. Neither one had any rubbery type insert in the washer. I didn't realize that there would be choices to make about this. So is what I bought or what I didn't buy the correct part?

Thanks for your reply.

Most autoparts carry them in a bubble package with 2 crush washers in them. The packages are black & yellow.

I usually buy them 6 at a time at the dealer. Somefolks use the same one forever. BTW same washer on an auto trans plug.

I believe the blister pack is like 4 bucks for 2. Cheaper at the dealer IIR.

If I don't have the correct crush washer I have an assortment of copper washers and I use one of those.

Ok, I'll go buy the crush washers. I was hoping to be able to get by with the fiber washer for a while but I don't want to cut corners.

By the way, I live on the Central Coast of California.

Thanks for your reply.

The old washer is a common rubber lined steel washer. They tend to fall apart when over-tightened. The rubber separates from the steel.

The fiber washer will probably just fall apart. I'd go buy a copper washer (will deform to seal), or the proper crush washer.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Most autoparts carry them in a bubble package with 2 crush washers in them. The packages are black & yellow.

I usually buy them 6 at a time at the dealer. Somefolks use the same one forever. BTW same washer on an auto trans plug.

I believe the blister pack is like 4 bucks for 2. Cheaper at the dealer IIR.

If I don't have the correct crush washer I have an assortment of copper washers and I use one of those.

^^This, better to buy the pack that way you have some for the future.

I did a oil change on a Legacy last week that had one of those fiber washers on it, it was garbage.

like they suggested, i wouldn't use the fiber one either. maybe if i saw it i'd feel more comfortable giving it a go for 3,000 miles, i mean other folks obviously use them, but sounds like you're on the right track to just replace it.

Somefolks use the same one forever.
raises hand. i never knew you were supposed to replace them until i saw folks mention it on a forum, so i never have. i guess i have 500,000 miles on multiple personal subaru's over the decades and have never changed one. since i never had a problem i just keep reusing them.

I have only changed one. It weeped a slight amount of oil. other than that, I changed the one on my 4.6l ford truck every other oil change because the design sucked and would leak if you reused it a couple times, but one reuse seemed to be fine.

I put on a Fumoto Valve and have never worried about the gasket or washer again. I have it on both my 98 Outback and a Ford F350 4x4 for over 10 years with no problems. If you are worried about it being knocked open then all you need to do is to install a spring loaded hose clamp. If you do your own oil changes then it is the only way to go. It drains a little bit slower but that is the only draw back that I have seen with it.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

I'll just buy a crush washer at the local parts store since I need the job finished today and then order the ten pack for next time.

The Fumoto valve looks interesting but I'll stick with the basic stuff for now.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback.

My commercial account price at my dealer is $0.90 each for the OEM crush washers. And they deliver to my shop for free.

Not much point in using anything less IMO. And I do replace them quite often. Half the time I pull off plugs they are missing - probably lost at lube joints that have poo-flinging monkeys climbing on cars....

GD

i used to work at a kwik-kar as a pit man, and when I would come in after a day off, I would collect all the old crush washers from the drain grates that the monkeys let lie there. I always put them used one's back or put new one's on, and when I put a new one on, I threw the old one in the TRASH. so if a customer looked down past the slider grates, they wouldn't see them and think it came from their car.