Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Feeler: EA81 Reproduction Rubber Windshield Gaskets

where is that?  I haven't seen them listed anywhere and I have called many companies about seals as well as the trim.  BTW I will be screwed when I finally need to replace the rear window seal in the sedan.  no group buy discount.  only one company said they would do it and quoted $20k whether I ordered 1 or 1000.

subaru dealership.

I was told about a week ago by my glass installer that he can't get front seals anymore and the coupe rear window seals haven't been around for years. What gives?

You get to a stage when you hear something not available just means they can't get it from their regular supplier and business policy is not to go chasing stuff from other suppliers. When I ring my supplier they ask how many ! And that is for std EA81front  windscreen seals.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-BRUMBY-UTE-PICK-UP-1800-LEONE-MY-SER-FRONT-WINDSCREEN-RUBBER-/121932288562?hash=item1c63bb1232:g:mcYAAOSwA4dWKb6j

Edited by jono

You get to a stage when you hear something not available just means they can't get it from their regular supplier and business policy is not to go chasing stuff from other suppliers. When I ring my supplier they ask how many ! And that is for std EA81front  windscreen seals.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-BRUMBY-UTE-PICK-UP-1800-LEONE-MY-SER-FRONT-WINDSCREEN-RUBBER-/121932288562?hash=item1c63bb1232:g:mcYAAOSwA4dWKb6j

That a good deal, to bad they will not ship to the USA.

I think you will find they don't have what you and likely Subaru, call gaskets to suit the coupe front, let alone rear. This is not my supplier - misplaced their details at the moment, and  they do not do the slightly bigger coupe front rubber. Did not ask about the rear

I wonder if priceusa.com do reverse stuff. They have a buyer / poster for us buying stuff in the US, very reasonable charges and so effing reliable

Edited by jono

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, good luck getting him to answer any questions about where he sourced parts for his coupe restoration. I emailed him when I bought mine to ask about a few things and haven't heard back. I bet if I wanted to buy parts he'd be all for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would give a kidney for a source for new door window seals for my GL wagon. I've been able to find one NOS R/L seal, but that is it. Anyone care to give some direction on who I could approach to make me some? I have parts cars that I could pull used ones out of for templates, but don't really know where to go from there.

Thank you!

So, it turns out the term you have to use when hunting down the windscreen seals is "dam" - you can 100% find new OEM ones around if you just use the right word. Took me an hour of digging through old manuals and Subaru's own site to figure that one out, but now I can get my windshield replaced!

• 1 month later...

On the hardtops?  Apparently there are existing applications that will work.  Dannybreadman apparently used 60's Camaro 1/4 window seals, but he hasn't responded to any of my messages regarding what he used...

Yeah, good luck getting him to answer any questions about where he sourced parts for his coupe restoration. I emailed him when I bought mine to ask about a few things and haven't heard back. I bet if I wanted to buy parts he'd be all for it.

Found some new seals that fit nice more info here http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/160203-new-2nd-gen-coupe-quarter-window-seals/

Is that gasket material a straight-through channel, or is it closed off at one end?  I'm pretty sure the hardtop side window seals are molded closed at the top to limit water ingress.

I'll keep my eyes open for a solution that is a bit closer to OE, but I will have to keep this in my back pocket in case I can't find anything.

• 4 months later...

Wish I'd found this thread sooner, been doing alot of research trying to replace the roasted outer window belting on my '80 Brat.  No one here is talking about door rubber, yet, so I'll share what I've learned.

The slanted "T" rubber used on the 1978-80 Subaru products is rare, but can be found new.  The same profile was used as

- "Outer waist strip" for the Jaguar XK150,

- "Outer door window squeegees" on the Datsun 520, 620, 720 trucks and

- "Tailgate window outer weatherstrip" on the rear of the 1st Generation Toyota 4Runner/Hilux. 

Replacement rubber kits can be bought for the Datsuns -but even the largest size doors are 25 cm shorter than the Brat doors.  (Meaning they might work for 4 door DL/GLs -but I don't have the exact measurements of their doors... since I don't have one. )  You can find these manufactured out of Thailand on eBay. 

Replacement rubber kits for the rear can still be bought directly from Toyota dealerships, just do a part number search.  You'll need two and the original Toyota part number is  68160-89111       

They come longer than you need, so you'll have to cut them down to Subie length. You can modify the new Toyota clips, or clean and re-use your Subie clips. 

Lastly, for the hard-core DIYers (aren't we all) - you can buy fresh rubber from several sources... unfortunately none in the Americas.  This is just the rubber so you'll need to carefully remove and re-use your Subie clips.  After 30 years in the Arizona sun, my clips nearly fell off the disintegrating rubber.

1)  ScottsOldRubber.com.au     part number 216.033             Approx AU$33 per meter (you need 2) and then AU $40 for shipping from Victoria Australia

2)  COHBaines.co.uk                 part number IRS1656EPJ      Approx 7 pounds sterling per meter and then 20 pounds for shipping from England

These guys have several other styles of weatherstripping that look like they might work including IRS0421EP, IRS1126,and OWS1 - if you're not a purist.

3)  Sealsdirect.co.uk                 part number ATJ1937           Approx 4 pounds per meter and 19 pounds for shipping

They also have several other window belt options like product AT2007

I went with Seals Direct because they were the only folks who have anything close to the center rubber tailgate seals- product AT1991.  This isn't a great fit -but it looks closer than what I have now. 

Lastly, this thread started out about replacing -not restoring rubber.  But I'll add an additional $0.02 on restoring:  Eastwood makes a product "Rubber Plastic & Vinyl Restore"    Nothing fixes cracks, but if your rubber is still in one piece, this will bring it back to shiny and flexible life.  I think it's new and it's flat out amazing.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to raise an older thread but I just bought a 1982 GLF Coupe HT, and have spent weeks trying to find a windshield gasket to no avail. I hear the coupe is different from everything else, but could I get away with using one from a sedan/ wagon if I had to? How about from a gen 1 Leone sedan or coupe? I would really appreciate it if any one had information on suppliers or individuals where these can still be had. Also, if a group buy ever comes up again, I would throw my name in that ring. Thanks for any information.

They have been found on ebay.com.au as discussed in here previously, think the seller is or was called philsrotary.

We aussies buy stuff from the US even at the current exchange rates. You guys get a great deal

• 3 months later...

Any Aussie members up for an assist here?  My local shop has the glass, but my rubber is toast. I've checked with the dealer in town and he extended his search to the surrounding 4000 miles and can't find a dealer with one. I've tried a few online parts stores with the same results. There are a couple of ebay.au auctions, but of course they don't want to fiddle with international shipping. I'd be up for bidding on the auction, shipping to you then paying you to ship to me. 

@jono @dfoyl ?

looked into P/N WCR-417  mfg by Precision prp.com, but it appears to be a dead end too.

From talking with prp staff asking if they could make another run of these gaskets for statesiders; "We would have to re-tool because this tool is no longer viable.  It’s been probably 5-10 years since used and the tool has been scrapped. How many would you be interested to buy at once?  We’d probably need to see an order in the range of $5,000-$10,000 in order to make this pass feasibility." 

--update-- 

The prp guys went the extra mile and checked in with one of their customers to check their stock.

"Safelite Auto Glass, and they have 85 in stock throughout the nation on WCR 417", except the guy on their hotline says they won't offer the part for wholesale. So I'll be driving by the local shop to see what they can do. Tempted to buy 10 of them and register as a vendor on Rock Auto.

Edited by ebarb
  • Like 1

I have 1/2 a dozen sedan/BRAT/wagon front seals sitting in the garage that are going to the UK, I could get the ok from the UK owner to ship one stateside. He was buying another 6 from Phil's Rotaries anyway, so I don't see it as a problem (would just make the order 7). If it's a hardtop it's a different story, you'd need to buy it and ship to me and I could on-ship (I could consolidate with some other items I send to the US frequently to save on the shipping). PM me for address details, etc.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:00 PM, ebarb said:

--update-- 

The prp guys went the extra mile and checked in with one of their customers to check their stock.

"Safelite Auto Glass, and they have 85 in stock throughout the nation on WCR 417", except the guy on their hotline says they won't offer the part for wholesale. So I'll be driving by the local shop to see what they can do. Tempted to buy 10 of them and register as a vendor on Rock Auto.

Safelite in the US has these gaskets and these are the standard EA81 windshield gaskets?

Edited by carfreak85

Yes Safelite in the USA. WCR417 is the alternative part number to OEM 765061000.  wolfdog found these while hunting for a different gasket for his 2dr coupe.  https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/70977-ea81-hardtop-2dr-coupe-weatherstriping . The wcr417 are the same one's that RockAuto used to stock when they were still available. 

I still have to stop by the local Safelite shop to see if I can get them to sell me a few. The guy I talked to when I called their national number said they wouldn't sell them wholesale anymore. However, I'm pretty sure I can work with one of the local techs or managers to work this out. Depending on cost per set I'll try to snag a few extras to have to pass along for cost+shipping to the community. 

39 minutes ago, ebarb said:

Yes Safelite in the USA. WCR417 is the alternative part number to OEM 765061000.  wolfdog found these while hunting for a different gasket for his 2dr coupe.  https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/70977-ea81-hardtop-2dr-coupe-weatherstriping . The wcr417 are the same one's that RockAuto used to stock when they were still available. 

I still have to stop by the local Safelite shop to see if I can get them to sell me a few. The guy I talked to when I called their national number said they wouldn't sell them wholesale anymore. However, I'm pretty sure I can work with one of the local techs or managers to work this out. Depending on cost per set I'll try to snag a few extras to have to pass along for cost+shipping to the community. 

Would you also mind looking into the hardtop rear window seals at Safelite?  I'm going to need one of those too...