Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I too have a mouse

or some other vermen, he has been eating acorns behind my strut tower. how can I get rid of him?

I have had them too, always wondered how to get rid of them besides my method..dont know about it till the nest catches on fire cause they made it on the exhaust manifold...or in the heater fan when it burns that out and your suby has a horrible odor that stays around for awhile. I heard moth balls works if you arent going to be driving it for awhile though

i have tried mothballs but they have never worked for me. some people claim they work though. if i see a mouse is making a home somewhere i either try a good old fashioned mouse trap with some peanut butter on it or i put a container of d-con in that area for a while. you will be able to see if they are taking the bait.

the one problem with d-con is- you do not know where the rodent will die, could be in a place you do not want it. a trap will get them right there. also be careful if you use d-con so that it is not available to other animals, pets, children or whatever. it has to be accesible only to the rodent to be safe.

If it's eating Acorns, I think it's bigger than a mouse! :eek:

I'd suggest a rat or a squirrel has taken up residence?

A big mouse trap would catch the varmit but if it's a Squirrel, I'd hate to hurt it?

Can you relocate the car? What about wiping the area clean with gas? That's got to stink and varmits have sensitive noses.

Good Luck,

Glenn

I have the same problem with my Trooper (Mice)

I relocated the vehicle and put traps inside where the mice are congregating

so I have to piss in the car? the little sucker got inside and ate up one of my door speakers, so how do I get him out with out harming him? should I try the piss thing? oh and he is starting to stink up the place.

solution - quit dropping those mcdonalds fries between your seats.

for real - pull your door panel and the kick panel under the glove box and look for a nest. without the nest, they won't have much reason to return if you scare them off. but then they'll be in the house, so take your pick.

a mousetrap on the floor board or under the car (or both) should easily take care of him. i'd try this first, i can't imagine you wouldn't get 'em this way.

i like the smoking him out idea as well, sounds cool. what are those old "smoke bombs" kids used to set off in the bathroom in highschool? is it just smoke, maybe that would do it.

as a temp fix..thay should work

maybe

works for moles

get dry ice about 20-30 lbs of it

put it in the car and let it sit

thats pure carbon dioxode

it will displace all the oxygen in the car most if not all animals will avoid going where they can't breath works great for getting rid of odors .. most of the time

no oxygen = no bacteria. usually

just stuff i learn at work making dry ice :)

if you live close enough i can get it for free for ya

oh yeah carbon dioxode smells muchbetter than human urine... lol actually no smell but still better

for smoking the critter out at least get a bbq/smoker and run the vent off it into the suby

so after 8=12 hours of smoking a nice beef or pork roast you suby has that nice smokey smell :) mm smoked suby yummy

just get one of your buddies that likes the green stuff, to hot box it. as soon as he passes out, the mouse must be dead =]
I've thought about this but I found out today that the little bastard ate my other door speaker, so he must die (and no not in a fire). but here is my next question, does anybody know when mice have babies? I don't want to kill a momma and leave her babies to die in the nest.

you wanted to put the cat in the garage to eat the mouse, then you say you don't want to kill it. essentially the same thing - either way your decision would be the demise of the mouse, wheter by cat, poison or trap. if you're okay with the cat doing it...then tell yourself you're okay with the trap doing it. either way you're putting *something* in the garage to kill the mouse.

in a controlled or semi-controlled environment (in a garage or house...er uh a car) they can breed any time of year.

there may be non-fatal traps available as well. similar to what they use for skunks and larger animals.

its cool to be nice to animals and all....

but you gotta kill it! or it will wreck your car! it will piss in your car. it will crap in your car. it will eat all parts of your car. it will make you sick if you are unlucky. rodents piss and crap everywhere they walk. they do not know any better. you have to kill it.

if they are in the woods... fine leave them alone.

if they are in your house or your car... you have to kill it!

sorry for the rant

my neighbor had mice get into his camper over the winter. he did not know it. they RUINED his camper. there were about 50 in there by spring. they ruined his camper!

i had mice get into my pump house over the summer 2 years ago. they ate all the insulation, they ate some of the wiring. they basically ruined it and i had to rewire it.

kill the mouse- any way you can. do not wait. i appreciate your humaneness...

but kill the mouse. there are millions of them in the woods. kill the mouse....

is someone coming with a straightjacket yet???

put some pepper where it eats in the car and around the whole car. It'll get it on its feet and what not then when it goes to clean itself it'll taste the pepper and be disgusted. We do that whenever cats come in our area. It's harmless and very effective.

put some pepper where it eats

Sneezing fits too, perhaps? :)

This reminded me of what happened to my brother's RV. Discovered a cat had been trapped in it for several weeks. They figure it got in when leaving the door open a long time while unpacking stuff. They thought a very large rodent was getting in through a small opening at first, after finding odd-looking poop. Checked everyplace for any openings to the outside and was sure nothing larger than a bug could get in or out.

Finally one day his wife was putting things into drawers and she heard a noise from "something big". Turned out to be the neighbors cat behind the floor level cabinets/drawers. It was near death, they said. No idea how it lived so long.

Another cat story, my older sister's this time, wasn't such a happy ending. They discovered it's decayed remains behind some boxes and stuff in a room of the house, where they had been storing things for years. Was an old cat and they figure it got trapped behind there and never got back out, or went there to die since they never heard it, I guess.

Far as mice and cars, mine also tend to get them on the engine. I would find partial nuts and pink insulation from the home on there. I'm watching out for that in my new Suby. In fact, one car once had a nest building going on in the air vents. I noticed a chewed fastfood ketchup packet first, then paper napkin pieces blowing out of a vent. Needless to say I don't keep anything in the car anymore. The Subaru has those underseat vents that would be perfect for mice to come and go from if one ever got inside.

Wonder if one of those electronic pest control devices would work? Would need to plug into the cigarette lighter socket. I've been using a couple in the home for the past several years and I think they actually help. I used to get a lot of scorpions and other bugs, now only an occasional one.

Possums, raccoons and squirrels are also terrible pests here.