Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SAS = Solid Axle Subaru

Sorry, Just have to show off the articulation of my solid axle Soobie! Was out playing the other day and actually remembered the camera. I know most people prefer the independent suspension that subarus come with. But, I must say my old wagon could not get over these mounds unless I treated them like jumps!

Check out some of these pics: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2454&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Mike

Lets see pictures of your subaru... and I dont mean your toyota, or your jeep... your subaru.
Okay, heres a picture of my subaru. (see picture below)

Did you miss it, Here I will post it again....

Oh thats right I haven't bought one yet. Does that mean I can't comment........ But considering I've met Mike personally and chatted with him several times about 4wheeling and Subarus. I will have to assume Mike KNOWS I'm just screwing with him. And since my specialty is Toyotas with leaf spring suspension, i know I could help him out and have offered several times on improving his articulation. I would really like to see his Subaru flex more than just a stock Yota. Sure its great flex for a Soobie but really its not that much for a leaf sprung vehicle. So for that, IMO, its really not that much....

Anyways, Mike has built a very unique vehicle and I know he has put in countless hours doing it so I'm not bashing it, But it still could be improved on.

Thought you bought a turbo wagon, maybe it was someone else.

Your allowed to comment. But it seems each and every post i see from you, is questioning the integrity of our subaru's, our work, our designs. I understand your offering advice and constructive critisism, and its welcome here... but dont expect each and everyone one of us to take it lightly. ;)

-Brian

P.S.

Emoticons do a great job of portraying your mood... like sarcasm, anger or happiness :)

Whoooooooo, let's all keep our heads. I take no offense to any of Rick's comments. He's a great guy and he happens to have a very capable off road rig. The XT6 is the most aggressive off-roader I have ever had. When I compare it to my old wagon it's great off-road. However, the old wagon was much funner to drive on a windy road at high speed, the XT6 cause some un-natural pucker action on fast corners now. Not at all like the car it used to be. But I chose to give up some on-road qualities for off-road ones. There is no perfect car for all needs.

For me, it always comes back to cost. I was indeed able to build a quite capable off-road machine for very low money. What I have learned however, is that to make that step to excellent off-roader takes a lot of money no mater what you start with. Lockers, Big Tires, and Gears are expensive no matter what you drive.

I love driving the XT6 around, everyone either stares in amazment or gives me a big ol' thumbs up as I pass by. The engine has great power and the low range in the tranny combined with the transfer case gives me pretty good crawling gears. However, the reclined seating position and long nose of the car makes seeing out of it while on tight trails a little difficult when compared to other off road machines. So I go back and forth on whether or not to sell it. I may just bight the bullet and stuff the lockers, gears, and big tires on it just because I think it looks so cool.... I actually parked the XT6 next to a Toyota truck and placed objects in front of them and ran back and forth between the two to compare what I could see from the cockpit of each. I could see objects on the ground closer in the toyota cab than the XT6 by about two feet. So maybe it's not worth worring about. I'm still up in the air about selling it or not.

Whooo, that was a lot of hot air......

Later,

Mike

See, I knew Mike took my comments the right way.....:D

But it seems each and every post i see from you, is questioning the integrity of our subaru's, our work, our designs.....

I'm not here to critize.... I'm here to learn and understand how other people wheel and build Subarus. And what it takes to modify one. Oh and yes I want to purchase a Subie, Just don't have the cash yet and still not sure what I want. So I'm still browsing around and trying to learn. When I get one you guys will know. One side of me want to go extreme (4 link front and rear with sami axles and a regeared sami T-case, heck maybe even a 7mge Toyota motor sitting nice and low on some wide 33") or just plain jan Standard issue stuff (EA81 Wagon, 3" lift and 28"). I'm just not sure......

I just hope you guys can put up with me asking silly questions..... since my background is wheeling Toyotas and Jeeps that cost 6-15K, Its hard for me to compare to 4wheeling Subies (1-2K). I would like to go on a trail ride (ride shotgun with someone) in a crowd of Subarus so I can see what they can really do with Subie parts. I've wheeled with Mike once but his is not really a a good comparision for judging subarus since it on soild axles.:-\

Im sure you can hit up some of the Hatch patrol nuts...they are in your area....

If I were to build my own off roader...heres what I would do with the subie...

a 'light' lift job...say...2-3 inches. Go with an RX FT4WD box...tear it down. LSD the front and center diff (if at all possible keep the center a locakable diff tho, if not...leave it the way it is so I can lock it), cryo all the gears...BUT...get a different gear set...an STi RA set, as its bullet proof. Go with 4.111 or 4.444 (is the 4.444 is avalible) final for both diffs (duh)...the front and rear diff would be twice the strenght as stock (which is 45 lbs I think....)...if possible redo low range for a 2:1 ratio instead of stock RX 1.196:1...and...

Next...beefen the axles...reinforced DOJ cups F/R...and new diff stubbs (some kind of alloy or hardended steel or such)

Go with some moderately sized tires on 15x8~9 6 lug rims with the hubs redone for 6x140mm...go with slotted rotors front and rear, with carbotech bobcat pads, stainless lines F/R. Clutch=stock XT6. Flywheel=heavyest one avalible. (26 lbs I think)

Next...hmm...it woudl be a wagon ofcourse...i was thinking on rollbar or cage...nahh...redo the interior for all weather durability, manual windows and such...but iw ant a sunroof and roof rack. no spoiler or sunroof deflector....well, put the spiler back on...there, looks better.

Engine: I think I will go with EA82. Turbo or not...depends on my tech for the anti lag thatwont shoot flames...lol

N/A. MPFI...10.5:1, CU head gaskets, Spyder intake manifold with large throttle body, 272 Delta cams, rods....PS and AC with double pully high amp alt for all those lights I will have. Big AL racing rad with elec fans. MS+DIS full engine management. GO with STi group N trans/engine/pitch stopper mounts...and poly shiftr bushings. Use stock RX struts, RX springs front and 4WD wagon springs rear. HIgh flow header, 3 way normal cat, 2.25 inch exhaust with a sort of normal muffler...3" dia in and out....to allow higher flow but quiet.

I think thats it....unless i missed something...

See, I knew Mike took my comments the right way.....:D

I'm not here to critize.... I'm here to learn and understand how other people wheel and build Subarus. And what it takes to modify one.

I just hope you guys can put up with me asking silly questions.....

I would like to go on a trail ride (ride shotgun with someone) in a crowd of Subarus so I can see what they can really do with Subie parts.

You've been doing what you say. I wasn't so sure at first, but I figure'd it out pretty quick. Hope I've helped some.

I hope you can make it up here, I'd love to take you for a ride in my hatch, you'll see it can on quite a bit and spit it right back out. ;) Maybe you can make it up fot our annual Hatch Patrol X-mas tree run this year. We had almost 30 vehicles last year. You'll get to see a little bit of everything as far as offroad Soobs are concerned.

• 1 year later...

that thing rocks! i just found my strut hanging around after being high centerd yesterday it was kinda wierd but makes since of the noises i heard but man it would be much easier to manage with something like that. i did jump my car about 5 feet in the air going about 40mph right after that, hehe. it drove away umharmed. i wish my friends would have taken pictures.:headbang: