Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom Skidplates; What do you have?

MorganM

My main goal before going to Crawl 4 the Cure offroad event this 4th of July is skid plates :brow: I've trying to figure out exactly what I want.

Main concern I see so far is mounting it. Plenty of threaded holes I can use but they are 1" to 2" above where the skid plate(s) will actually sit. Please post what you have setup and pictures if you got them.

hey dont forget to add screen doors as well lol, got a piece of that running in the front from the bumper to the front of the skidplate mount spot, and also used a piece of it to fill in the holes in the stock 1 lol.

on the subject though i have heard the road sign thing a well, its good heavy duty metal so i think it would work for something simple

I'm suprized that no one in this thread is from Seattle, but if you are from seattle, or anywhere else for that matter, Boeing has a surplus store on the south end, they got plenty of stuff to choose from for skid plates, if you keep trying and come back often, like the PaP you could score yourself a nice piece of titanium for a plate, but i caution you, its very pricy, but its cheaper than running without oil i guess. I'm sure they have steel and ally too.

Yeah road signs aren't a new idea. I have no problems going down to the steel yards and buying what I want for supplies. That's not really why I posted this topic.

HOW are your skid plates implemented. Theories are great, I have plenty myself, but I want to see what people have already implemented. Specificly how exactly they are mounted to the vehicle.

we aint stealing road sighs! i know the subaru crowd is cheap, but man, thats crazy...

apparently, you'll be the only ea82 with cuztom skiders yo!

since im weldin em up, were gonna do it the easy way... my way... =]

jk, just get a half assed idea, go buy some metal, and we'll rage it!

we aint stealing road sighs! i know the subaru crowd is cheap, but man, thats crazy...

apparently, you'll be the only ea82 with cuztom skiders yo!

since im weldin em up, were gonna do it the easy way... my way... =]

jk, just get a half assed idea, go buy some metal, and we'll rage it!

I know where I can get some pre-stolen road signs! (there's a stop sign in my parents garage that came with the house when they moved in), and I bet some chemicals and a saw could make it pretty hard to identify!

I know where I can get some pre-stolen road signs! (there's a stop sign in my parents garage that came with the house when they moved in), and I bet some chemicals and a saw could make it pretty hard to identify!

hahahaha pre stolen, thats great :grin:

the main deal is i can weld to steel, but aluminum is beyond my stick or wire feeds means.

1/8th" steel mounted to the original rear mounts.

The front is attached to my front radiator support frame.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2385&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

This is the only pic I could find.

The actual plate is not reinforced (yet?). I suspect it would bend if hit. I look at the skid plate as more of a curb pealer. It will tell me if I need to re-evaluate my approach. If I reinforced it, I could set the car on it with out damage but not until.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Steel skid plate no push bar!

01 Forester--plastic skid plate and plastic push bar!!! :brow:

1/8th" steel mounted to the original rear mounts.

The front is attached to my front radiator support frame.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2385&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

This is the only pic I could find.

The actual plate is not reinforced (yet?). I suspect it would bend if hit. I look at the skid plate as more of a curb pealer. It will tell me if I need to re-evaluate my approach. If I reinforced it, I could set the car on it with out damage but not until.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Steel skid plate no push bar!

01 Forester--plastic skid plate and plastic push bar!!! :brow:

that shiney stuff is aluminum. not the best for skid plates...

The shiny stuff IS aluminum--it's not a skid plate.

All the shiny stuff does is block air to the radiator :rolleyes:

I may end up drilling some holes in it

The grey metal below the shiny stuff is the 1/8" steel plate.

It's hard to make out in the pic. It covers the pan and exhaust.

It is very similar to McBrats setup only not on a stock Subaru body.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

that shiney stuff is aluminum. not the best for skid plates...

Thats not true. I had 1/4 inch aluminum diamond plate on my toyota and it held up like a champ.

I have been to ocotillo wells, glamis, tellico, uwharrie, and many other places. It held up fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I never got the skidplates I wanted on for the event. I did run the OEM skid plate with only the front two bolts holding it on. It worked okay and saved my oil pump and oil pan. One lift block in the back did bend the unibody and the lower bracket got a nice grooved dent in it when I came down on and slid over some nasty rocks.