Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best model years for Subaru

:lol: Come on guys,we're all from the rust zone here.

He's asking about WRX's,so I doubt he'll want an EA81 anything,plus how many are left around?:)

For what he already owns I'd have to resist preaching from the heart.Otherwise I'd join in with the EA81 guys.

Already owning 2 of the most dutiful vehicles and asking about a WRX I'd say you're looking for a little thrill.If you've got the money then go for it,get the WRX.

:lol: Come on guys,we're all from the rust zone here.

He's asking about WRX's,so I doubt he'll want an EA81 anything,plus how many are left around?:)

For what he already owns I'd have to resist preaching from the heart.Otherwise I'd join in with the EA81 guys.

Already owning 2 of the most dutiful vehicles and asking about a WRX I'd say you're looking for a little thrill.If you've got the money then go for it,get the WRX.

might want to look into a 2.5RS and do an engine swap? not sure if that would keep the insurance lower or not, or even if that's a concern... but I've heard that insurance on a wrx is insane

I own 2 outbacks legacy wagons. I am thinking about a 3rd subaru maybe a wrx. What are the best years for Subaru. I would like to avoid a model year with HG problems. Are the WRX models reliable.
Don't let the fact that the WRX didn't show up in the USA until the early 2000's, they have been around since 93. They have gone through 3 engine models prior to coming to the USA, and two since they have been here. There are years of experience behind the WRX, and I don't know of any having a head gasket problem. I drive a 96 conversion, it is a 96 US model Impreza with a 96 WRX engine and tranny in it. The engine that I got had almost three times the miles on it as the normal JDM engine the we get here, somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles. It looked like it has never been apart. Although the engine is tired, it only puts out 240hp instead of the original 260hp (but some of that is lower octane in gas too) the engine is still very responsive. Just ask anyone who has riden in the car or has the unfortune to have raced against it. I would consider the US model of the WRX a good choice for your next vehicle. The only thing that I have against them is that they only come in a 4 door, I prefer 2 doors.

might want to look into a 2.5RS and do an engine swap? not sure if that would keep the insurance lower or not, or even if that's a concern... but I've heard that insurance on a wrx is insane

I had an insurance quote on one the other day, the standard WRX isn't too bad, it's the STi that will kill you. For my grandmother for 6 months full coverage was $892.54; for a grandmother, OUTRAGEOUS!

He he - Next time it may be better to post in the "New Generation" forum

That said, ANY Subaru except for the ones with the pre-2000/2001 2.5 liter engine will give you many years of reliable service - the early 2.5 liter engine had head gasket issues - but after a single replacement, they tended not to blow again anyway, but a HG usually costs over $1000 all said and done

I have to say all different years have their points - the EA81 (1980-1984) Subarus were not powerhouses, but they were VERY rugged and reliable. The EA82 (1985-1994) were more powerful, and also VERY reliable, but they did have timing belts, which the EA81 didn't. Note both were available in 2WD and 4WD versions, with the 4WD being the traditional style (NOT FOR USE ON DRY PAVEMENT). The automatics in the pre-Legacy cars were not terribly good, and generally did not have overdrive for highway driving. Though I have never messed with Legacys, I know they are also good cars (know people who own them). Realize that generally we are about a model year behind the Japanese home market, so generally any bugs there are with a new design get worked out by the time the cars are sold in the US. There is the aforementioned exception, but in the 36 years Subaru has been in the US, there have been only a few small slip-ups, compared to Ford (early Focus), GM, or Chrysler.

The bottom line is that you should go for what you want. Subarus are rugged and reliable cars, just do follow the specs in the owner's manual for the service, and you should be fine.

I think posting the most unreliable models would be better than the good ones--there are much fewer to list :-)

That said:

'85-'86 EA82 turbos with Gen 1 heads

'96-'01 Foresters, Outbacks, Legacies and 2.5RSes with Phase I EJ25s

Anything (read: Justy) with an EF12 unless you really want your car (and driveway) coated in 10W40...

'73-'74 1400cc models

Of this list I have had at least one of each and even then couldn't be happier with the car (excepting the Forester).

For sheer bulletproof reliability, a low-mileage 2.2L Legacy, an EA81 or even EA71, or my personal favorite XT6 with coilover suspension should fit the bill nicely. Otherwise, wait a couple years for Subaru to recover from GM parts-bin sharing and the learning curve that's going to improve their quality (hopefully) from hooking up with Toyota.

• 2 weeks later...
I had an insurance quote on one the other day, the standard WRX isn't too bad, it's the STi that will kill you. For my grandmother for 6 months full coverage was $892.54; for a grandmother, OUTRAGEOUS!

I got a quote on a 04 STi and it was only 198.78 a month for full coverage and i'm an 18yr old male. It must suck to live where you do.