Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Qs: boost, FI, suspension & brakes

12-13psi

Mods:

WRX intercooler

Spider Intake

Cold air intake

BOV (WRX, on the intercooler)

Apexi SAFC (so i can richen the fuel mixture as long as the computer is still considering readings from the MAF)

XT6 clutch and flywheel (last clutch went out...wouldn't hold the boost)

so on a basically stock EA81T i can push 10psi with no problems? Im planning on upping the boost soon and i need the reassurance. Will be getting the next IC i comeacross and when i have the funds ill get an exhaust and do an intake setup. any onter mods you all can suggest for me to do to be able to outrun a 2.5rs with intake and exhaust? do you guys think that dropping the engine driven fan in favor of an electric fan would be worth it, or what about swapping in manual steering?

Oh yeah, you can run 10 on a stocker no prob. I don't start leaning out unless I push it over 14psi. The very first thing I did to mine, before I even got it running, was pull off the the mech fan. You could go to manual steering, that would put a few more horses to the ground. But if you really want to get those ponies pushin ya, get rid of that autobox. A manual tranny has less horsepower loss than an auto. Lotsa luck to you, if you put the work into it, you'll be revvvin the engine next to a two five without a care.

well i got the tranny swap out of the way, but i was very dissapointed in the power department. doesnt feel nearly as fast as the Benz (155hp, 3600lbs) but maybe its cuz the Benz aint got no exhaust!:headbang: so you beat the 2.5rs you raced? by how much? i dont want to leave any scrape of doubt when i race my friend.

11.5 PSI, open element air filter, RX7 by-pass valve, "Granger Valve" boost controller, 2" catless down pipe into 2" glass pack exaust. 5spd, lightend fly wheel. I would run 13 PSI, but I blow off too many vac. lines as it is. But I did blow the doors off a '65 Mustang fast back w/HI-PO 289CID V8 this last week end:eek: :headbang: :headbang:

is there anything i can do to the suspension and brakes to match them with the engine mods? Id like to be able to stop and turn as well as i go! i heard the EA81 2WD front struts and springs are lower, but are they softer? This is an EA81 so no RX or XT6 stuff for me!:boohoo:

Intake, exhaust, clean out the fuel system and run sythetic oil. Thats a start.

For EA82, stock brakes have always done well for me, and I drive the RX like its a freakin WRC car.

I've never increased the boost. I'd love to put a fully aftermarket computer system on the RX, with DIS and a camless setup, and do away with the MAF, and throw an IHI VF34 on there from an STi....Anti lag and blah blah blah............

BUt anywho, I dont know much aobut those EA81 cars. I think camber adjustments will be easy. Slot those towers. Find some shorter, stiffer springs...some GRIPPY 13 inch tires...like 175/50/13 Sumitomo HTR200 tires.

I could go on.

Originally posted by carfreak85

is there anything i can do to the suspension and brakes to match them with the engine mods? Id like to be able to stop and turn as well as i go! i heard the EA81 2WD front struts and springs are lower, but are they softer? This is an EA81 so no RX or XT6 stuff for me!:boohoo:

yo! it is possible to use ea82 lower control arms and axles if you cut the lower control arm mount off an ea82 and weld it to the ea81 crosmember. that will allow you to use the ea82 balljoint/knuckle/strut. you can modify the ea81 strut cap to fit the ea82 struts, use your choise of spring. it will add a little but of negative camber, good for cornering. you will have to change out to ea82 tie rods.

ea8s rear trailing arms will fit on the ea81 with skight mod, but any ea82 brake or hub will fit on the ea81 rear trailing arm.

i have the ea82 suspension in (83)TrashWagon 5, so with tose mods, it would readily take xt-6 parts just like that!

there is a diagram floating around the board, it was from rguyver's plans, he did the same thing to his hatch ea81 spfi turbo!

Just a few clarification questions:

yo! it is possible to use ea82 lower control arms and axles if you cut the lower control arm mount off an ea82 and weld it to the ea81 crosmember.

cut the mount off the EA82 x-member and weld them onto the EA81 x-member? do you have pics?

you can modify the ea81 strut cap to fit the ea82 struts, use your choise of spring.

do you have pics or a detailed explination of the mods required?

you will have to change out to ea82 tie rods.

again pics and explination needed!

ea8s rear trailing arms will fit on the ea81 with skight mod, but any ea82 brake or hub will fit on the ea81 rear trailing arm.

NEED explination!!!

i have the ea82 suspension in (83)TrashWagon

Do you have pics of your wagon and the suspension?

thanks for the suggestion and for getting me excited to spend my life savings!!!!

boosting at an inconsistent 15psi (between 13 and 15) due to a mafunctioning wastegate and no boost controller yet

2.2L turbocharger

intercooler

bypass valve

k and n

wrx exhaust - no muffler

spider intake

xt6 clutch and lightened flywheel

go eagles

EDIT: see my post below

• 5 months later...

i copy and pasted this from my XT thread a few pages back...heres my (updated) mods list:

1987 XT Turbo GL10

-IHI VF11 Turbo from an EJ22G with modded wastegate rod

-K & N intake

-WRX stock downpipe and midpipe with a 3inch straight pipe (no muffler)

-full XT6 suspension front and back with adjustable KYB's in the rear

- XT6 brakes, rotors and 5 lugs

-Volvo By Pass Valve

-Turbo XS standard boost controller (after the 1000mi break-in, i'll probably be boosting to 13psi daily)

-Ford T-Bird intercooler

-custom short throw shifter

-3.70 rear LSD and RX FT 4WD trans

-XT6 clutch and lightened flywheel

-677/260 Delta cams

-XT6 wheels with 205/60/14 Sumitomos

-complete XT6 interior including dash, seats and paneling

-Autometer boost, temp and oil pressure guages

i also have a spare MAF (flapper door style) that has been toyed with so it enrichens the mixture. i keep it in the garage and use an unmodded MAF for daily driving type stuff.