Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Turbo upgrade on ebay for EA82, no joke.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:02 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=2438625060

edit: hey, looks like the housings are turned the wrong way...

#2 dsmracer

dsmracer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Encinitas, CA USA

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:50 PM

I don't see anything that says it's for an EA82T.

#3 bbbs53

bbbs53

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Bonners Ferry Idaho

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:16 PM

Says he bought it for his WRX, which would mean 2.5 litre. Then bought the STI. Someone has too much cash.

#4 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:44 PM

the ea82 turbo is an rhb5 isn't it?

#5 PHATBRAT

PHATBRAT

Subaru Lover

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • Mt Holly, NJ

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:44 PM

Bradd, I thought the WRX was a turbocharged 2.0? But you are right, too much money on his hands...

#6 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:09 PM

The RHB5 is the VF7 or whatever that came on the Legacy Sport Sedan/Wagon (turbo legacy).

#7 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:41 PM

I can't see the serials on it, or I would tell you for sure. If you want a serious upgrade for your EA82 though, lemme tell you the secret.

Take your old RHB5 off, remove in the intake side of the turbo, exposing the compressor. Now remove the compressor. Find yourself an RHB5-2 off a turbo Legacy, early 90's type. Now take off the intake side of the Leg's turbo, both the houseing and compressor, now bolt the Leg's compressor onto the 82's turbo, then put on the Leg's housing, wha Lah, you have have a turbo that puts more boost, but doesn't spool any slower. Now all you have to do is bypass that boost cut problem.

#8 88rxsedan

88rxsedan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • san antionio

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Adam N.D.J.
I can't see the serials on it, or I would tell you for sure. If you want a serious upgrade for your EA82 though, lemme tell you the secret.

Take your old RHB5 off, remove in the intake side of the turbo, exposing the compressor. Now remove the compressor. Find yourself an RHB5-2 off a turbo Legacy, early 90's type. Now take off the intake side of the Leg's turbo, both the houseing and compressor, now bolt the Leg's compressor onto the 82's turbo, then put on the Leg's housing, wha Lah, you have have a turbo that puts more boost, but doesn't spool any slower. Now all you have to do is bypass that boost cut problem.

and have it balanced... right?? :D

#9 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 October 2003 - 03:31 AM

I would like to know how you balance a turbo?
Rob

#10 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:20 AM

Its an RHB5 that came on our EA82Ts. AND, you can tell by the exhaust housing and by the overall structure of the turbo that it will bolt right up to and EA82T, IF the housings were turned right.

#11 88rxsedan

88rxsedan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • san antionio

Posted 23 October 2003 - 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Turbone
I would like to know how you balance a turbo?
Rob

well, I dont know the exact procedure, but.. its a good idea to balance it because they do spin at 120,000 rpms + even if its just a little off, at that speed.. it could be a problem..
im sure you could get away with not doing it, but that would imact the life of your turbo's bearings..

bean

#12 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 23 October 2003 - 05:50 PM

cool . if that turbo was designed for a wrx then the exhaust side flange is slightly different than a ea82 turbo ( I tried it once). I have considered doing a wrx turbo swap. but it requires a good deal of fabrication and I need more time/money:-\

adam have you done the legacy turbo hybrid? sounds really cool. I want to know more. sounds easy enough to do.

#13 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:03 PM

No, its NOT a TD04, its an RHB5 with a different compressor housing on it. The exhaust housing is IDENTICLE to ANY RHB5 on ANY EA82T, that I am sure of. But still both housings are bolted on all wrong.

#14 88rxsedan

88rxsedan

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • san antionio

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:56 PM

so - what you are saying is, the exhaust flange on the legacy turbo is the same as the ea82t, but the it points all the wrong way? .. cant you rotate the compressor housing?
or is the turbo setup to sit the wrong way...

#15 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:36 AM

the Legacy turbo is a VF10. The RHB5 i think is a VF7.

The US WRX is a mitsu TD04, and STi's and others get VF34, and 22's.

The exhaust housing on the VF10 is different than our RHB5's. The exh. housing on that turbo is origonal from the RHB5, it sjust turned the wrong way. I looks like its got a different compressor housing, and it too is turned the wrong way.

#16 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:00 AM

Originally posted by WJM
the Legacy turbo is a VF10. The RHB5 i think is a VF7.

Damn, I think you're right! lol....

#17 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 09:33 AM

LOL

I hate it when that happends! :banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users