Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX crash carnage revealed

Yeah when i bought my RX i was weary of the front end. The core support can be bent out just by pulling on it. The bumper isn't to much to brag about either. Best bet to help eliminate these dreadfull crashed is to get of those brush pushers and attach it to your framerails. Probably won't save everything... but atleast hopefully keep the motor and side aprons in tact. Sorry for the loss these cars are paperweights!

Metal utility pole at 40-50 mph. Completely flattened the cross-section and bent it over onto my roof.

After getting crushed in, everything got pushed up and pulled forward. Both exhaust bolts at cat connection broke and pipes seperated. Engine pulled tranny, tranny pulled drive shaft, driveshaft pulled rear diff. Diff mount pulled forward, bucked rear seats inside, broke mounting bracket. Dog bone is at an 80 degree angle.

And this was about 5k after my rebuild. Brand new oil pump, water pump, radiator, everything else.

I am trying to get everything swapped to the red coupe for some sand dunes over the 4th.

holy cow. you were undamaged? I hit a deer with a wagon at 65mph and no damage. I bet if I was doing the 45 you were there would have some nasty pictures of similar damage. "poles don't fly like a deer" :lol:

sorry for the wreck, rebuilds are tedious

Corner + wet road + 25mph constant winds with 40+ gusts + good chance of black ice. And I found out today that my front tires have no tread in the middle - bald, baby!

Slid sideways, into ditch, tried to get back on road - nope, tried to drive into empty field - nope. Long wet ditch grass and 45* banks don't make for good traction. The ditch's "V" shape guided me into the pole. The tracks looked like an ATV playing around.

I would have driven away if I could, unfortunately it wouldn't restart. Walked 1.3 miles home (into the 25mph 30*F wind wearing a t-shirt) with a backpack and 3 bags.

I was wearing my seatbelt. Maybe a 2% chance of survival if I wasn't. Also quite fortunate that the downed wire laying on my roof wasn't live. Got busted up good, couldn't move for a few days, missed 3 weeks of work (physical job), chipped 4 teeth. Airbags would have been nice. Too bad I never installed a 5-point harness...

Those damned utility poles! ... those things are always trying to get in my way, too! I had one jump out of nowhere right in front of me last year!

Oughtta be a law!

seriously, tho - holy crap! That's the kind of pic you usually see a big-old dent from the inside of the windshield coming out, with chunks of brain matter clung to it. Be glad to still have all your fingers to take pics & type about it ... wow!