Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diesel Subaru EA82

casioqv

Later this year subaru is going to announce their high-tech H4 boxer diesel engine. I love diesels, and have always wanted an old wagon with 4WD and a diesel engine that got over 50mpg, but no such thing has ever been made, to the best of my knowledge. My question is this: Do you think it will be possible to install one of these in a EA82 series car using the EA to EJ adapter plate that Allied Armament sells? I expect that in a few years wrecked H4 diesels will show up in junkyards, and I could get a motor for about the price of a VW TDI diesel ($2000). Perhaps I could just make a custom adapter plate and install the TDI itself?

50mpg+4WD+150 hp turbo diesel= the ultimate adventure touring car

Unless you plan on spending your lifes savings I reckon you'll have to wait at least a couple of years after the engine has been released into the market before you will be able to pick one up. So by then you never know what there might be avalible to put one in your car..

I'm sure it'll have the same bellhousing as any other EJ engine. I'd be worried about wiring. the last all new engine they put out (EZ30R) has an immobilizer system built into the ECU/harness, that makes it virtually impossible for the engine to run off the stock ECU in a car other than the one it came in.

but I agree...would be way cool.

isnt it similar to the ej20 block? i read in an artical where that they say petrol block would be able to handel the stresses of being used as an diesel engine? that artical i read was an while ago tho?

Everything you hear now is purely speculative as FHI has really yet to release any specifications on it.

As for sharing an EJ20 block, I highly doubt it. Examine the pictures, there is SO much different there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen a Peugeot diesel sedan in person, but never a wagon. That's very cool.

Tangential comment: The one I saw was running on biodiesel made from fish oil. You know how burning used frier oil makes the exhaust smell like french fries? Well, you can imagine the horrid odor that this thing made.:dead:

EZ30R has 'em...it's EJ-based...

(Okay, that was out on a limb)

um...no, it's not. the only thing similar is the bellhousing. and the concept that it's horizontally opposed. it was completely redesigned, from the ground up. with a completely different bore/stroke ratio to any other subaru motor. the cyl. are closer together (made possible by the smaller bore).

um...no, it's not. the only thing similar is the bellhousing. and the concept that it's horizontally opposed. it was completely redesigned, from the ground up. with a completely different bore/stroke ratio to any other subaru motor. the cyl. are closer together (made possible by the smaller bore).

Okay. I'll take your word for it.

Good to know...

• 4 weeks later...
a turbo deisel!!!!!!!!! thats freakin cool. kinda trendy tho. but would be cool to see. i would bet money on that engine never making i t ot the states....we never get anything cool.

Not trendy at all. Lower CO2 emissions, higher torque, lower sulfur than diesel of old, plus you (should most likely) have the option of running biofuels (biodiesel = carbon neutral).

All the current press about global warming, and reducing dependence on foreign oil are only helping to make a strong case for bringing more diesel options stateside.

At least I hope so.

I have a Thread ´bout to Swap a Diesel engine in a Loyale... it is a Project that might come True, see:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64687

Also, About Diesel Boxer Engines, and Subarus that came Diesel in the Past (Other Brands, Rebagged as Subarus), see:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=582561#post582561

Any Comments are Wellcome! :)

• Like 1