Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Diesel Subaru EA82

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 casioqv

casioqv

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:58 AM

Later this year subaru is going to announce their high-tech H4 boxer diesel engine. I love diesels, and have always wanted an old wagon with 4WD and a diesel engine that got over 50mpg, but no such thing has ever been made, to the best of my knowledge. My question is this: Do you think it will be possible to install one of these in a EA82 series car using the EA to EJ adapter plate that Allied Armament sells? I expect that in a few years wrecked H4 diesels will show up in junkyards, and I could get a motor for about the price of a VW TDI diesel ($2000). Perhaps I could just make a custom adapter plate and install the TDI itself?
50mpg+4WD+150 hp turbo diesel= the ultimate adventure touring car

#2 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:32 AM

There's no way to tell until it gets released.

Also, if you look at the designs for the motor, the Turbo sits below the engine. Custom crossmember maybe?

Only time will tell.

#3 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

I've heard that it will be a European model only, it's not coming to the USA.

#4 casioqv

casioqv

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

Bummer, perhaps they will show up as JDM engines...

#5 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

still maybe
read about it here

http://www.autoblog....s-diesel-boxer/

http://www.webwombat...esel-engine.htm

Posted Image

#6 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

w00t for turbodiesel! I wonder if the turbo could be relocated for easier retrofittification in the older models...

#7 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:35 PM

Unless you plan on spending your lifes savings I reckon you'll have to wait at least a couple of years after the engine has been released into the market before you will be able to pick one up. So by then you never know what there might be avalible to put one in your car..

#8 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

I'm sure it'll have the same bellhousing as any other EJ engine. I'd be worried about wiring. the last all new engine they put out (EZ30R) has an immobilizer system built into the ECU/harness, that makes it virtually impossible for the engine to run off the stock ECU in a car other than the one it came in.

but I agree...would be way cool.

#9 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

isnt it similar to the ej20 block? i read in an artical where that they say petrol block would be able to handel the stresses of being used as an diesel engine? that artical i read was an while ago tho?

#10 mikeshoup

mikeshoup

Ignorant

• Members
  • 2,190 posts
  • City and County of Denver

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

isnt it similar to the ej20 block? i read in an artical where that they say petrol block would be able to handel the stresses of being used as an diesel engine? that artical i read was an while ago tho?

Everything you hear now is purely speculative as FHI has really yet to release any specifications on it.

As for sharing an EJ20 block, I highly doubt it. Examine the pictures, there is SO much different there.

#11 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:27 AM

it may look like it shares a block, but to be a diesel there is so much beefing up that is needed it needs its own sepcific block

nipper

#12 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:14 AM

well, that cutaway shows it having timing chains, so it can't have too much in common with your typical EJ block...

#13 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

I doubt it would be a normal EJ block as well.. I don't see a point in modifiying a block when you could build a diesel designed block that is going to do the job much better and for longer.
Plus, hows a EJ block suppose to take 20 to 1 compression ratio :eek:

#14 testy

testy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Port Moody, BC(Vancouver)

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

the peugeot 505 has a form as a deisel 4x4 wagon. Looks cool actualy.

#15 casioqv

casioqv

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:25 AM

Wow! I've never heard of that. I'd bet they're impossible to find over here in the states. I found 2 links with more info:
http://www.4wdonline...gel/Dangel.html
http://www.garage24.net/0504-5.htm

#16 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,867 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:48 AM

... never knew that, interesting.

#17 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

I have seen a Peugeot diesel sedan in person, but never a wagon. That's very cool.

Tangential comment: The one I saw was running on biodiesel made from fish oil. You know how burning used frier oil makes the exhaust smell like french fries? Well, you can imagine the horrid odor that this thing made.:dead:

#18 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

a turbo deisel!!!!!!!!! thats freakin cool. kinda trendy tho. but would be cool to see. i would bet money on that engine never making i t ot the states....we never get anything cool.

#19 thatswhatshesaid

thatswhatshesaid

Subaphilia

• Gold Subscribers
  • 736 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:27 AM

well, that cutaway shows it having timing chains, so it can't have too much in common with your typical EJ block...

EZ30R has 'em...it's EJ-based...

(Okay, that was out on a limb)

#20 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

EZ30R has 'em...it's EJ-based...

(Okay, that was out on a limb)

um...no, it's not. the only thing similar is the bellhousing. and the concept that it's horizontally opposed. it was completely redesigned, from the ground up. with a completely different bore/stroke ratio to any other subaru motor. the cyl. are closer together (made possible by the smaller bore).

#21 thatswhatshesaid

thatswhatshesaid

Subaphilia

• Gold Subscribers
  • 736 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

um...no, it's not. the only thing similar is the bellhousing. and the concept that it's horizontally opposed. it was completely redesigned, from the ground up. with a completely different bore/stroke ratio to any other subaru motor. the cyl. are closer together (made possible by the smaller bore).

Okay. I'll take your word for it.

Good to know...

#22 eagleb

eagleb

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Beaverton

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:11 PM

a turbo deisel!!!!!!!!! thats freakin cool. kinda trendy tho. but would be cool to see. i would bet money on that engine never making i t ot the states....we never get anything cool.

Not trendy at all. Lower CO2 emissions, higher torque, lower sulfur than diesel of old, plus you (should most likely) have the option of running biofuels (biodiesel = carbon neutral).
All the current press about global warming, and reducing dependence on foreign oil are only helping to make a strong case for bringing more diesel options stateside.
At least I hope so.

#23 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,658 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:49 PM

I have a Thread ´bout to Swap a Diesel engine in a Loyale... it is a Project that might come True, see:

http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=64687

Also, About Diesel Boxer Engines, and Subarus that came Diesel in the Past (Other Brands, Rebagged as Subarus), see:

http://www.ultimates...2561#post582561

Any Comments are Wellcome! :)

#24 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

awesum threads. i no this has nothing 2 do with the diesel subaru engine.
But i luv that subaru motor bike right at the start. is that 1 made by an person? or is it genuine subaru?

#25 970subaru

970subaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:52 AM

there were also vw quantums with the 1.6td though they may not have come as synchro. its possible to build one though. also there was an audi fox wagon(very close to a quantum) with a diesel 5cyl IIRC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users