Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many converts here?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made the switch last July. I love having solid axles.:banana:

did you convert it to SFA? I thought it was IFS when you bought it.

I too am a convert. bought the cleanest 1st gen 4Runner I've ever seen in MN. got a deal on it cause it was run out of oil. it's an '87 Turbo, and the lack of oil took it's toll on the motor, and just when I got things fixed, the turbo goes. so after I get new suspension for the loyale, the yota will get swapped to a plain ol' 22RE.

bone stock, on 31s and ugly wheels, for now:

PICT2293resized.jpg

Hey Brian, what shocks are you running? I need new ones and I like the amount of drop yours have.

DSC000041.jpg

6" lift with 35's. I have an ARB for it as well as on-board air. Soon to have a bobbed flatbed too! Nice relatively stock truck. Still running the carbed 22R with 4.30 gears.

I wish i knew ken. The truck is as it was when i bought it, and I still dont know much about what it has. I do know the rear end is locked up, most likely welded. It probably looks like alot of drop cause of the lift and small tires.

Mods I have in mind are front ARB, onboard air, hysteer conversion, and rear chevy springs. Just like always, money is the deciding factor with all my projects and we all know these things arent as cheap as subarus to modify.

-Brian

The next major breakdown on my Hatch and I'm going to sell it and convert. After swapping the tranny and installing a new clutch, I dont think I could handle another big labor job like that. The job was double the work because of the subframe and divorced t-case:-\

Seems as good a place as any......

There is one for sale down the road from me. If anyone is interested I could get a phone number and a picture or two. Maron, looks to be in nice shape, no idea what year, early 90's would be my guess. Tim

I'm still Subie'in myself but, I hope this is ok...

My brother bought this to replace his 83 wagon a couple of weeks back.

It's an 84 2.4L Diesel 4Runner, solid front axle. It has 2.5" suspension lift, snorkle, and a few other things

Fitted another bullbar, and a winch. His looking to get new tires soon. Two lockers are on their way from the states. He also put the CB in it and is going to be fitting some spot lights, maybe his 220mm Bull lamps...

image.php?AttachmentID=12

So almost 10 of us plus phiz' brother. (who probably has the one I'd most like to have out of all of the ones shown. . .) But then again, that diesel smell makes me crazy. At first glance, I wondered why the snorkel was on the wrong side. lol

Seeing others makes it that much easier to own mine. :clap:

So is it time to start up a USMB convert club or what? lol I'm diggin' the fact so many of you went with Toys. I'm sure there's other makes that former Soob off roaders have switched to, but I'm not interested in those so much.

So almost 10 of us plus phiz' brother. (who probably has the one I'd most like to have out of all of the ones shown. . .) But then again, that diesel smell makes me crazy. At first glance, I wondered why the snorkel was on the wrong side. lol

Seeing others makes it that much easier to own mine. :clap:

So is it time to start up a USMB convert club or what? lol I'm diggin' the fact so many of you went with Toys. I'm sure there's other makes that former Soob off roaders have switched to, but I'm not interested in those so much.

I'm down for talking to USMB people about toyotas :lol:

pirate4x4 is alright, but I prefer the vibes at yotatech. it's more like here

started tearing down the front axle last night when I got done with work. gonna bring the housing over to my brothers for sandblasting

p1000040xc5.th.jpg

1971 FJ40

Not the best pic ever, but this is certainly a work in progress. Just got a new gas tank for it, but the floor is about rusted out. Will need to have that replaced before I even think about getting it inspected. Also needs some new tires, and seats, but other than that, its in running condition.

heres mine

1987 toyota 4runner sr5

lc engineering performer moter, cold air intake, stailess header and exhaust, electeic fans,big bore throttle body and mas.

turbo tranny with dual ultimate cases, twin sticks with 4.7 gear. high angle drivelines,

front axle is a fj80/85 pu hybrid with a hypinion electronic locker, 5.29 gears that are chryogenically frozen. 30 spline chromo longs.inner shafts, trussed, marlin hysteer, big brake kit.

rear axle is a t 100 with 5.29s and a spool, bud built traction bar.

front susp. is a toyrear leaf/wagoneer hybrid pack with 10 leaves, fox remote res. shocks...axle moved 4.5 inches foreward

rear it has 2004 silverado rear springs with articulating and pivoting shackles...rancho shocks...johnny joints in the front of the spring pack.rear axle moved 1.5 inches back

marlin rear bumper, custom made sliders/steps and front bumper/stinger...made of 1/2 wall tubing

interior has factory wood grain kit in it, 2003 gmc envoy seats, european "surf" dashboard, cd player, gps system, and a genuine 1968 shelby cobra mohogony steering wheel "elenor from gone in 60 secs"

has 37x13.5x17 toyo mts on 17x9 steel soft 8 wheels....glued together....

also has rhino lining on the sides to protect from sticks and people drooling on it......

I would go to toyota as well (or what ever brand had a truck I liked) if I could have two cars. The reason I pick Subaru and stay Subaru is I can only afford to have one car. And I like going fast onroad. Subaru's are (to my knowledge) the best cross-over vehicle ever made. When I get a full time job, I'll be 4x4in in a truck and on the road in something else (might even still be a Subaru.) It's just it cost so damn much to register and insure a car in Australia :(

(who probably has the one I'd most like to have out of all of the ones shown. . .) But then again, that diesel smell makes me crazy.
My new Subaru forum has an offroad section for any cars and trucks plus a section for talk on yota's and what ever ;)

Yotatech is a cool place, but it reminds me alittle like Nasioc in their layout. THey have forums for EVERYTHING, and it seems no one posts much in any forum.

ALthough the guys at yotatech are far nicer than Pirate.

-Brian

yep I'd have to agree.

there are a lot of forums here now too you know :lol:

thats my favorite Toyota 4X4 I realy like that stlye

It is a pretty vehicle, and in good shape considering it is a '71 and has never been garaged. I just hope I can get it road-worthy again before I head off to college.