Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

what other tires safley fit the pug 15.5

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HATCHY

HATCHY

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Everett. 425

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Where can I find, or does anyone know what kind of tire I can safley apply to the metric size rim.. I dont want to have to buy those 150 390 those suckers are expensive. Thanks. I just got 5 of them from pap today.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

There aren't any. That's why the metric rims are worthless.

GD

#3 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

Where can I find, or does anyone know what kind of tire I can safley apply to the metric size rim.. I dont want to have to buy those 150 390 those suckers are expensive. Thanks. I just got 5 of them from pap today.

Return them and get your money back.

#4 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

It took me 4 years to find a set of tire for mine..........take them back!!

Jeff

#5 SOOBOUTLAW

SOOBOUTLAW

Junkyard Junkie

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • EVERETT

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Is it possible to powdercoat the bead surface to increase diameter to 16"? Or lathe them down to 15"? I've seen trailer tires on 15.5" wheels but that wouldn't be practical with a passenger car though.

#6 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,122 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Would you trust your lift to powdercoating holding your tires on? I hope not.

And turning 1/4 inch off the rim would likely leave them thin and weak.

Take em back or scrap em for $$

Or cough up lots of $$ for metric tires.

#7 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Yup, you should have done your homework before you bought them.

No clue what 390mm rims are even doing in the US. Tires are impossible, and alternatives are unsafe.

#8 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

i think michelin is your only choice

http://store.coker.c...s/michelin-trx/

#9 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:02 PM

Yup, you should have done your homework before you bought them.

No clue what 390mm rims are even doing in the US. Tires are impossible, and alternatives are unsafe.

they always came on fords as an option in the 80's :rolleyes:
another brilliant ford idea

#10 3eyedwagon

3eyedwagon

Build it, don't buy it!

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Apache Junction

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

^ For the Horde? WtF traitor! :grin:

Yeah. The 390s are pretty silly.

I've heard stories of guys jamming 16s on 16.5" rims as an early redneck form of beadlocks :-\:confused::rolleyes:. I've only seen one set in person though, and they were used on a trailered trail rig. I didn't want to stare at how well the bead seated for too long, as they were kinda making me nervous being near them. Either way, seems kinda sketchy to me.

Anyways, that's all totally irrelevant to the 390s because that bead design on them is incredibly worthless. I'd be nervous enough putting a proper 390 on there, let alone trying to cobblejam somthing else together.

Get rid of em. Or tig weld 3 of them together for a pretty shop stool with a storage compartment. :banana::)

#11 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

Yea, you got them off that Brat at Lynnwood PAP. Only tires that can be used on them is the ones from Michelin. Your best bet is to leave the old tires on them and return them for a refund. I hope you still have your receipt and had them marked.

One of Michelin's worst ideas. They wanted to tie up the market with their proprietary tire size so they persuaded Peugeot, Renault and even BMW to have tires "customized" for their respective suspensions. Pissed off a lot of new car buyers the first time it came to replacing the tires. Also too late to take the car back to the dealer and tell them where they can stuff their 390's.

Sorry you got stuck with a set. Hopefully you can return them for a refund. (Keep the centre caps unless they charged you for those also; they'll fit on the 15" non-390 rims just fine).

#12 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

take them back. Let this thread be stickied so no one else has to go thru the same type of thing.

390 mm pugs are worthless.

#13 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:05 AM

take them back. Let this thread be stickied so no one else has to go thru the same type of thing.

390 mm pugs are worthless.

I hate to say it but there are a ton of previous posts about the 390s.

#14 SOOBOUTLAW

SOOBOUTLAW

Junkyard Junkie

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • EVERETT

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:40 PM

Anybody ever freeze a rim overnight and then mount a nice warm flexible tire and quickly seat the bead? Aluminum shrinks quite a bit when deep freezed. I might try it if I can sneak a rim in the freezer.

#15 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Anybody ever freeze a rim overnight and then mount a nice warm flexible tire and quickly seat the bead? Aluminum shrinks quite a bit when deep freezed. I might try it if I can sneak a rim in the freezer.

Remember is you don't demount the original tires you can take them back for a refund. Once you strip a tire off you've eliminated the opportunity to take it back.

#16 SOOBOUTLAW

SOOBOUTLAW

Junkyard Junkie

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • EVERETT

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

I think Hatchy wants to keep the rims anyway.

#17 mykingcrab

mykingcrab

KINDNESS IS NOT WEAKNESS

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • S.W. MISSOURI

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

take these wise members advice, dont squeeze them on .they can end your life several ways, not worth it bro........ dont want to see you get hurt or worse

Edited by mykingcrab, 01 May 2009 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users