Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have a belt squeel fix/tricks?

So I spilled a bit of fluid when filling my power steering reservoir onto the main pulley running both my v belts. I cleaned it up best I could with simple green and since then I have had a belt squeal upon start up. So applied some spray belt cleaner/conditioner that is supposed to make the squeal go away however it now squeals 10x worse. In addition my volt gauge is pegged at 18 volts when engine RPM is above 2k.

Were my belts just slipping that much before?

that belt dressing stuff is a waste of $. Ok this is dangerous so if you lose a finger, dont blame me. I'm not liable for what I'm about to say. With the engine running, take emery cloth and hold it into the V on each pulley. It will rough up the surface and make the belt grab.

simple green was a bad idea to use on it. simple green extracts fats and oils from what ever it comes in contact with. like your hands for example. Every notice after u get simple green on ur hands they feel slimy for a while after words, even after you wash them? thats because its extracted fat out of the first few layers of your skin. Its doin the same with the belt. Belts are made from rubber and oil. So the chemical is pulling bits of oil out and its getting on the pulleys. Use non-chlorinated brake clean next time to clean off the pulleys and belts

If you sanded the pulley's with some emery cloth and tightened the piss out of the belt it would stop - but you would destroy the bearings in your accesories. You need a new belt AND you need to degrease and rough up the pulleys a bit. They may even need to be replaced if they are widening out inside the V.

Your voltage guage pegged out at 18+v is BAD. You need a new alternator ASAP or you will be buying a new battery, alternator, and quite a few bulbs.

GD

Try this... It's old school but we use it at the dealership with about 50/50 results and it's not dangerous. Take some Ajax or Comet and put some in your hand. With the engine OFF put it on 2 - 3 different spots inside and outside of the belt then fire up the engine. That's it. It does the work.

That's old school alright - but eventually stuff like that as well as loose belts will wear down the pully's till they just need replacing. At least we aren't talking about multi-rip belts - as the pulley's wear the peaks between the ribs sharpen up like knife blades and then the pulley's have to be replaced or they just shred belts.

GD

WEAR?! I'm not talking about using 5 cans of the stuff! lol The wear on a serp pulley over the life of the vehicle (about 120K or so) is less than 1mm. Yes there are many variables that affect that, but the overall effect of using that trick is nill to nothing on the pulley.