Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Digidash ?

ok so i´m a huge fan of the 80´s styling of old subaru´s (the xt in particular)

i currently have two EA82´s one GL wagon and another GL coupe

i have always loved the digidashes of the 80´s and as far as i can tell there are two versions of them in EA82´s , the green GL-10 kind

attachment.php?attachmentid=7125&d=1259738483

and this one :

1716040640_a10e18e6e6.jpg

So my question is : is there any chance they can be made to work with a carbed EA82 or with a EJ swap ?

and does anybody know how i could get my hands on a digidash and the sensors to make it work

i have a digi dash and a full dash harness from an 87 gl10 wagon. unless i decide to use it in my 3-door, i suppose i could let it go

otherwise, i would be swapping it into the carb 3door with ej22 motor, same as you, and i'd post what it takes to make it work as i build.

i'm not committed to it as of yet...

The only differences for sensors are the fuel level sender in the tank and the coolant temp sensor for the gauge.

The wireing is another matter entirely. You will need the FSM's for both and you'll need to sit down and make adaptor harnesses or pull the dash and swap harnesses. Personally I would just make an adaptor for the digi-dash. I went from an EA81 digi-dash to an EA81 analog a couple years ago and I got it to work correctly but it wasn't something I did in a single day. I spent about a month of weekends making the harness and troubleshooting it.

GD

they are plug and play with XT's/XT6's for the most part though those sensors need to be swapped still. a few on the XT forum have done it. i have a new digidash and have thought about putting it in my XT6.

could an XT/XT6 harness be installed in an EA82...they're EA platforms? maybe certain years - like when the XT was available?

Edited by grossgary

The problem you are going to run into is there was never a carb model of EA82 with a digi-dash as far as I know.
ah ha, gotcha. so the carbs and FI's wiring harness is completely different, even for body side stuff? that makes sense.

I have an XT6 about to go to the scrap yard, for a few bucks i'll cut the body side harness off so you have something to plug into a digidash.

The harnesses and wiring are different as mentioned above. I have an 86 wagon with a digidash and while it DOES look cool, I don't prefer it because it is more difficult to see in the daytime - especially with the sun shining on the digidash through the window, double-especially if it's bright enough outside that you're wearing sunglasses. The digidash also lacks precise gauges for fuel and temperature, and has no oil pressure gauge or ammeter.

A while ago I started working on making an analog dash conversion harness for my car because it's easier to see in all conditions and has better gauges than the digidash has. I feel the analog dash is a better piece of equipment than the digidash because it is easier to get a more complete sense of what your car is doing. I would respectfully suggest that you keep the analog dash in your car and save the headache involved for a more worthwhile project.

The harnesses and wiring are different as mentioned above. I have an 86 wagon with a digidash and while it DOES look cool, I don't prefer it because it is more difficult to see in the daytime - especially with the sun shining on the digidash through the window, double-especially if it's bright enough outside that you're wearing sunglasses. The digidash also lacks precise gauges for fuel and temperature, and has no oil pressure gauge or ammeter.

A while ago I started working on making an analog dash conversion harness for my car because it's easier to see in all conditions and has better gauges than the digidash has. I feel the analog dash is a better piece of equipment than the digidash because it is easier to get a more complete sense of what your car is doing. I would respectfully suggest that you keep the analog dash in your car and save the headache involved for a more worthwhile project.

i just like to be different and i really like digi-dashes, there only where about 10 subarus ever imported here that had digital dashes

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have an early digi dash that came as part of a JDM halfcut (they weren't available here). I too liked the look of it, but I do agree with other's opinions about the information.

For my car, the complete wiring harness, including the body loom, was extremely different to anything else. It took me 6 months of having the halfcut loom, plus the complete loom out of the car sitting beside each other in my bedroom to work it out (no FSM).

• 1 month later...
theres no way to make the tach work at all?

I can't understand why it won't work:confused:

All my early (orange) digi dash had was the standard tacho wire from the negative side of the coil into the back of the cluster.

You'd think the later ones would work better because the tacho signal comes from the ECU standard.

I've also had a standard tacho running off the ECU signal from an EJ20T ECU before.

Like gd said earlier it will swap right in. Wiring is a whole other problem. It won't plug in. Just fit in the same space as the analog dash

He actually says that there was never an ea82 carbed model with a digi-dash. Mine is not carbed. So I'm asking if it is a plug and play kind of deal?

I like the orange digi in the picture. As a geek and tech-head, I agree those do look cool... very space-age. I have a Sub that had a digi-dash. Unfortunately, it was not the cool one pictured above. It was the lame green one that came with the 87 GL-10's. God, compared to the orange ones, they are quite boring. On the plus side, it's my understanding that the orange ones were very tempermental and would short out if you sneezed. The lame green ones, though lame, were much more durable. Anyway, Yes, I ripped mine out and did the analogue swap. And yes, this conversion can take some time. Mine too three week-ends.